Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6709 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 33 of 65
08 April 2012 at 2:00pm | IP Logged 
I'm not a polyglot yet, but I've often thought about making videos about language
learning. Here's what's held me back so far:

1. Modesty/lack of confidence. In general, I think boys are raised to be confident go-
getters, while girls are encouraged to be modest and sensitive to what others think.
When I think of making a video, a little voice inside my head asks, "Why? You're not
that great yet, so what makes you think your abilities are worth showcasing online?"
Some men might be less inclined to put themselves in check this way.

2. The inevitable trolls. The internet can be an unfriendly place for women sometimes.
I think we not only tend to be more sensitive to criticism, but are more harshly
criticised than men when we put ourselves in the public eye. Attractive women may have
their comments section filled with derogatory comments about whether the viewers would
"hit that", and less attractive women may be subject to all sorts of insensitive
comments about their appearance. Of course men sometimes have their appearance made fun
of, too, but I think it's fairly unusual to see a YouTube video made by a woman without
any objectifying comments of this sort.

3. The technical aspect. I'm probably "average" when it comes to technical stuff, so I
don't think of having to edit a video as a dealbreaker, but it would probably take more
time, effort, and frustration for me than for the "average" guy (who would tend to be
more knowledgable about such things). For me, that extra bit of work and research I'd
require would be more likely to put me off a project that (for the above reasons) I was
only lukewarm about to begin with.

Edited by Lucky Charms on 08 April 2012 at 2:09pm

9 persons have voted this message useful

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4751 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 34 of 65
19 April 2012 at 9:09am | IP Logged 
What about thinking over it? I'm sure you could give some good advice on learning
Japanese! You could also make a video without showing your face if you don't like to.
1 person has voted this message useful

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4384 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 35 of 65
19 April 2012 at 10:24am | IP Logged 
I'm by no means a polyglot but I'm considering doing videos as I learn french. The only thing stopping me at this
stage is I don't want my face on camera. It's not that i'm camera shy, far from it, but rather that there is a good
chance my chosen career will put me in the spotlight and i don't want any videos i make being brought up. It's the
reason why I haven't added any of my music to the internet as well.

I have thought, however, that I could get a mask/series of masks.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6463 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 36 of 65
19 April 2012 at 11:52am | IP Logged 
You don't need to be be in your videos - show pretty landscapes or your cat or text on the screen instead. Some people will claim that you just are reading from a manuscript, but they'll do that even you stare straight into the camera so who cares?

Edited by Iversen on 19 April 2012 at 11:54am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 37 of 65
19 April 2012 at 4:41pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
You don't need to be be in your videos - show pretty landscapes or your cat or text on the screen instead. Some people will claim that you just are reading from a manuscript, but they'll do that even you stare straight into the camera so who cares?
this :)

a polyglot in a mask would be wonderfully mysterious, though <333

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4751 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 38 of 65
19 April 2012 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
Oh, that's an idea! The Masked Magician already exists. Now it's time for the masked
polyglot ;-)

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5829 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 39 of 65
19 April 2012 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
dandt wrote:
I have thought, however, that I could get a mask/series of masks.

that's not a bad idea but some people could find that even more "interesting", and if you want to keep a low-profile..

now, if your voice is any "famous" maybe you should edit the audio (pitch) and/or never ever post a video using your native language
3 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6669 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 40 of 65
19 April 2012 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
That got me thinking of a polyglot whose video I can't find. Either he was masked or he spoke off-camera with a somewhat distorted voice (reminding me of Jigsaw in the Saw movies...). Does anyone know which clip I'm thinking of? He spoke half a dozen languages including English, Spanish and Nahuatl (or Quechua). Any ideas?

This discussion contains 65 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version