Danish online dictionary

Tags: Danish | Dictionaries
 Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
Guido
Super Polyglot
ArgentinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6339 days ago

286 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, German, Italian, Portuguese, Norwegian, Catalan, Dutch, Swedish, Danish
Studies: Russian, Indonesian, Romanian, Polish, Icelandic

Message 1 of 3
02 April 2012 at 5:23am | IP Logged 
Does anybody know a biligual Danish online dictionary, apart from this one?
I need a more complete source, but I cannot find anything better :(
Any advice?

Thanks!
Guido.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6514 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 3
02 April 2012 at 11:38am | IP Logged 
The Pons portal (cfr. Guido's link) is worthless, which is all the more strange as Pons normally is known for its fine paper dictionaries. I tried to find a translation of German "Anwalt" and it didn't know the word, but suggested that I might have tried to spell one of these words: "Inhalt, anstatt, alt, halt, kalt, angeln and Umwelt". No, I wrote "Anwalt" because I expected this to be a fairly common and neutral word. Other words just confirmed my suspicions of a severely deficient product.

Then I googled "Ordbog dansk online" and found a number of other suggestions. It was slightly surprising that there are some reasonable monolingual suggestions:

Den danske ordbog gave me a precise definition of a "sagfører" (=Anwalt) and informed me that such a person nowadays is called an "advokat". It has also small articles in Danish about sundry subjects like one about a sticky brown cake called brunsviger - apparently named after Braunschweig in Germany. It has also a list of suggestions from the public, like "barnevognsburka" for "regnslag til en barnevogn" (a rain cover for a pram).

In stark (!) contrast Retskrivningsordbogen has a no frills format which just give you a definition and some morphological information.

The big bilingual dictionaries published by Danish companies cost money. The totally dominating editor of paper dictionaries here has this homepage: Gyldendal. And Ordbogen.com claims that it is the largest online dictionary in Danmark - well, maybe. Both these homepages offer Danish <--> several major languages, but I haven't subscribed to any of them.

Then there are some minor players, mostly from abroad. I was positively surprised by da.bab.la, which not only knew that Danish "ro" both is a noun ("rest", "repose" - but a decent paper dictionary would have included "calm" and "peace and quiet"), but also that it also is a verb ("to row" a boat). However the real surprise was a sheer endless list of bilingual examples, where you for instance could see that "ro-ro" is an expression that is used about some vessels (actually they are roll-on roll-off ferries), and you could see some rather succesful free translations of idiomatic expressions, like "Dagen forløb i fred og ro" --> "The day passed without incident" (literally: "in peace and calm"), or "Han skal nu engang tage den lidt med ro" --> "He needs to get a sense of proportion." (literally "a-little with calm"). I would say that this kind of parallel examples more than compensates for the limitations in its direct translations. There is however one puzzling feature: apparently it can't distinguish between A and Å (which are totally separate letters), so when I tested the Danish word "and" (duck") almost all the suggestions were for another word "ånd" (spirit) - this must be considered as a major flaw. The site also offers translations between other language combinations, though mostly with English as one of the languages.

Dansh is one of the options in many foreign portals, like for instance Babylon, Freedict and the French-based Lexilogos, but I have through the years had to look things up on the internet many times, and the output from these all inclusive language portals didn't impress me (you can add Pons in this group). However while looking through the results of my Google search I found a funny little thing parlor.dk which gives you translations to several languages in one go: it translated "øl" into eight languages, but also listed the form "ølet" (for which it supplied a Swedish translation) - but it is just a spelling error, the correct form is "øllet". How much do you trust such a site? Another French site sensagent couldn't deal with special letters like the ø in 'øl' (beer).

For a list of online translation services and dictionaries et cetera with a Danish option try this link. It looks impressive, but somehow I was expecting to find Google Translate there among the translation machines ("oversættelsesmaskiner") - they only mention Itools, SysTran and InterTran. And the list of dictionaries is also incomplete.

Edited by Iversen on 03 April 2012 at 11:07am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Guido
Super Polyglot
ArgentinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6339 days ago

286 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, German, Italian, Portuguese, Norwegian, Catalan, Dutch, Swedish, Danish
Studies: Russian, Indonesian, Romanian, Polish, Icelandic

Message 3 of 3
02 April 2012 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
Iversen,

Thank you so much!
The DDO is excellent and the da.bab made my day. I was also using PONS for Swedish and
Polish, but now I´ve got a new favourite. Not only it displays a lot of results for each
search, but it´s also very fast and doesn´t lag like others. Just wrote the swedish
"utmärkt" in da.bab and got tons of results and example phrases. Made my day. Thank you.

Guido.-

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version