United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4431 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 9
02 April 2012 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
Hi everyone!

I am trying to learn Spanish, as my first language. I have tried a few times, but really want to give it a serious try this time around. I choose the FSI Basic course, mostly because it is complete, and I didn't want to find myself not knowing where to go for the next step if I finished one course before starting another.

I am on Unit 3. I am concerned because I am starting to see in the drills verb tenses that have not been covered,grammar constructions thst are expected responses to drills (specifically, question formation), and the like that are confusing but I do not see where they were covered. I did the first two units, several times (actually about 12 hours each) spending a little over half of my time memorizing the dialogues, and then doing the drills. However, I am not sure I am doing them correctly. The response drill, for example, does not prompt for the answer before asking the questions. Is there a place that explains how to do and what to expect for each type of drill? I read the intro pdf but it didn't really talk much about it.

Anyway, thanks for any help you can give me. I have never learned a language, so maybe this confusion is normal because I don't know what to expect. Thanks again!
Chris
1 person has voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5186 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 2 of 9
06 April 2012 at 2:18am | IP Logged 
Welcome to the forum. I am working on FSI Basic too. I think it is the best and most comprehensive course available for Spanish and I have done many courses in the past 2.5 years. I do recommend starting with something else before trying to do FSI. I cannot imagine doing FSI as a beginner. I would suggest spending 6+ months with something like Assimil first.

Regarding your questions, they do introduce some things without explaining them, but they will eventually explain everything. Just do the best you can.

I actually skipped the first two units, so I cannot comment on those... but 12 hours seems like a lot of time on those.

The response drills are tough. I had problems with all of the response drills throughout the entire course. However, on the responses you are asking about there is not a right or wrong "answer." For example, if they ask "Do you want the pen or the pencil" it does not matter which you say as long as you say, "I want the....". Just for fun, I would try to remember which answer they gave on the second run through.

As far as I know, there are not really any directions. I just read through the dialogue and footnotes and then start the audio.

Good luck.
2 persons have voted this message useful

cboscari
Joined 4431 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 3 of 9
06 April 2012 at 2:43am | IP Logged 
Hi, thanks for replying.

That makes me feel better. I just started Unit 4, so I am doing about one unit a week. I think for Unit 3, I spent about 10 hours total. From what I hear, that's pretty average.
I would love to do another course first, but I can't afford it. There is something about language courses that just seems to make them expensive. Not sure why.
Chris

El Señor Cara
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 4753 days ago

3 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, French

Message 4 of 9
06 April 2012 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
James29 wrote:
FSI Basic. I think it is the best and most comprehensive course available for Spanish. I do recommend starting with something else before trying to do FSI. I cannot imagine doing FSI as a beginner. I would suggest spending 6+ months with something like Assimil first.

I agree (except for Assimil but that is a learning style thing and thus personal).

I have just started with FSI Platiquemos and I love it. It suits my leaning style perfectly. I have just finished level 1. Before I started I already studied:
Michel Thomas, Hugo Spanish in 3 months, Colloquial Spanish of Latin America & the passive wave of Assimil. I quit studying Assimil because it does not suit my learning style.

I'm very glad I did these above mentioned courses; it makes Platiquemos much more effective. I don't run into things I have never seen before ( I already did some reading in higher levels, e.g. subjunctive).

If I had to choose one book before starting FSI Platiquemos it would be Colloquial
Spanish. It is clearly written and complete for a beginners course and it is, like FSI/Platiquemos, Latin American Spanish.

IMO spending too much time on a unit is not very efficient. It is better to do the whole course a couple of times. Distributed practice is the way to go.

¡buena suerte!

El Señor Cara de Papa

Edited by El Señor Cara on 07 April 2012 at 10:44am

2 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5186 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 5 of 9
07 April 2012 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
In terms of other "free" courses to get a Spanish foundation you may consider the "fast" or "headstart" courses on the FSI website. I have not done them, but they are free and likely worth doing for a beginner. Even programmatic... many people here do that course and speak highly of it.

Assimil Spanish with Ease is only $33 on Amazon. Other options would be to check out Colloquial, Living Language Ultimate/Beginner, or some other similar course through inter library loan at your local library. I borrowed many courses (and audio books) through inter library loan. They can get almost anything... as long as it is available in the US.

I agree that FSI/platiquemos is much more effective with a good base. I was a solid intermediate when I started and worked through it pretty well... until I totally hit a wall at units 46/47... now I am struggling with it.

cboscari
Joined 4431 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 6 of 9
11 April 2012 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
OK, I'll take everyone's advice and try something else first. I'm looking at Michel
Thomas' course. I looked at the pdf's at their site, what do you think of the course,
besides the pronunciation issues? (I live in L.A, so lots of natives to help me on
that.)Does it cover grammar in a way to be useful, or will I find myself limited later on
by the approach?

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4833 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 7 of 9
11 April 2012 at 10:37am | IP Logged 
MT is a brilliant way to start! Especially if you do the advanced course as well. You
will get a very useful rundown of almost all the grammar (although his treatment of the
subjunctive is not very thorough). It is a much more gentle way of beginning than fsi.

One idea though, would perhaps be to try and do the basic sentences section of fsi for
5 or so units, and then go back and do the drills? That might be more manageable.

If you find you are really enjoying Spanish, I really would recommend saving up and
buying Assimi. I would say it has roughly double the vocabulary that you will find in
most of the other courses, and is full of really useful idioms. I really think it is
almost indispensable.

Best of luck!

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4833 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 8 of 9
11 April 2012 at 10:40am | IP Logged 
Oh, and another thing, I personally don't worry to much about the response drills. As
long as you understand the grammar rules that is being taught, I think it's fine not to
worry to much about overlearning these. The response drills are the only part of the
course that I really don't enjoy.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version