Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Funny Idioms/Phrases in your TL(s)/ NL(s)

Tags: Idiom | Multilingual
 Language Learning Forum : Philological Room Post Reply
silverpolyglot
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
silverchallanges.wor
Joined 4695 days ago

42 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, Somali
Studies: French, Swedish, Mandarin

Message 1 of 3
03 April 2012 at 2:50am | IP Logged 
I recently thought about the Somali word for graduating: Qalin Jibis, which in English
translates to "breaking the pencil" which I thought was hilarious. What funny idioms or
phrases have you stumbled upon in your studies or in your native language?
1 person has voted this message useful

onurdolar
Diglot
Groupie
TurkeyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4433 days ago

98 posts - 147 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 2 of 3
03 April 2012 at 10:11am | IP Logged 
Well kalemi kırmak is the Turkish phrase used for death sentence which in English means "breaking the pencil" it's not really hilarious in this context but rather weird how different meanings can words have in different cultures.

That term originates from a common practice where judges used to break the pencils they used in cases which results in death sentence as a symbolic gesture that shows hope of never having to give a death sentence ever again.( before it was abolished )

Kenney90
United Kingdom
Joined 5653 days ago

24 posts - 39 votes

Message 3 of 3
04 April 2012 at 3:45am | IP Logged 
In Pashto, the verb 'to get some fresh air' (هواخوري کول) literally means 'to eat air'. The verb 'to bargain' (چنه وهل) literally means 'to beat chins', which is the exact same as in Persian from what my classmate has told me.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version