Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Ever been asked NOT to learn a language?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
35 messages over 5 pages: 13 4 5  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 35
04 April 2012 at 2:12pm | IP Logged 
My grandma is my only Belarusian family member that approves of my study of it:( Others say it's useless etc. They also used to tell me not to study Polish because "they don't like us", but now that we're actually going there they don't mind anymore.

But "don't study it so I can be better than you at least at something"? Nope, never, fortunately. It's easy to be better than me - just study French :D

Edited by Serpent on 04 April 2012 at 2:12pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Ojorolla
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4724 days ago

90 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 10 of 35
04 April 2012 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
I kind of understand your family members. I'm discouraged from learning Japanese for similar reasons : so many people are good at speaking Japanese. Even if I mastered it, it would be something really trivial.
And machine translation does a pretty good job between Japanese and Korean, which makes me even less motivated.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5093 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 11 of 35
04 April 2012 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
Ojorolla wrote:
I kind of understand your family members. I'm discouraged from learning Japanese for
similar reasons : so many people are good at speaking Japanese. Even if I mastered it, it would be
something really trivial.
And machine translation does a pretty good job between Japanese and Korean, which makes me even less
motivated.

I would love to feel that Japanese were so easy that it felt trivial too! :-).

I can understand the competition issue in the case of my daughter, though. She has grown up with me
mastering a lot of languages, and I get that she wants a language where there is no competing. The irony
of course is that she is at the stage where she is starting to surpass me. Already her English accent is
considerably better than mine, and it is just a matter of time before her Spanish will be better as well. I will
do my best to accept that gracefully.

My sister is a different story. I grew up hearing how accomplished she was, and how lazy I was, and partly
because of my dyslexia ( and partly because she is really good with details) her written English, French and
German is considerably better than mine. I would have understood her feelings if I were brilliant and she
was hopeless or really slow, but neither is the case. She is really good at languages, and there is absolutely
no reason why she should have low self esteem. I therefore still struggle to understand why she would be
worried by the competition. In the 20 - odd years that have passed since this I think the only time when we
were speaking Italian when we were together was a week's holiday in Italy 15 years ago.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4889 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 12 of 35
04 April 2012 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
I can sort of understand your daughter's request. and I think it's pretty cool that she wants to have something she can call "hers."

I don't have teenagers around me, but I certainly remember when I was one. There were two things I was good at when I was a teen: music and languages. It always gave me a lot of pleasure knowing that if there was a question about either, my family would come to me. Part of coming into one's own, I suppose.

And I'm willing to bet that once she's got a handle on Georgian, she's going to want you to learn it, too. She'll just be the authority position on it in the family. Again, I think that's actually pretty cool. Encourage it for all it's worth, I say!

R.
==
2 persons have voted this message useful

Bjorn
Diglot
Norway
Joined 4627 days ago

244 posts - 286 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 13 of 35
04 April 2012 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
I got a hint to stay away from Spanish.
I promised to stay away for a few years.
Not a problem really, I'm a slow learner :-)

As hrhenry said, people want something that they can call "theirs".

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4460 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 14 of 35
04 April 2012 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
You could tell her you'd like her to be your tutor when she feels she's good enough at it, after at least (x amount of study time). Maybe that would be a compromise, and it could encourage her at the same time.

I never had such an experience. My sons don't share my enthusiasm for Japanese, both are pretty bad at English (not their fault, the school English here is not really good - but enough for the basics I suppose)..

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4427 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 15 of 35
04 April 2012 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
Indian people told me: don't bother with Indian languages, English is held in high regard in India, and people think the better you speak English, the more of an intelligent person you are.

This may explain why I have found Tamil and Malayalam dictionaries (made for speakers of these Indian languages who learn English) but not a single normal course.

Edited by Medulin on 04 April 2012 at 4:25pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5901 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 16 of 35
04 April 2012 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
A few years back, one of my best friends told me not to learn German, or at least to not study it on my own. She already spoke it semi-natively, so although she never said so explicitly, I suspect that it was for the same reason as your sister and daughter. The same friend also was annoyed at first when I started studying Japanese shortly after she began taking a Japanese class at school.

A few years later, she's still one of my best friends, we often talk and write in German, and we won a Japanese competition together last year. It all works out.

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version