Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Ever been asked NOT to learn a language?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
35 messages over 5 pages: 1 24 5  Next >>
sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4423 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 17 of 35
05 April 2012 at 2:06am | IP Logged 
My Italian dad told me not to learn Italian because it was useless compared to Spanish in the US.

I'm going to learn it anyway, eventually. I'd like to read The Divine Comedy in the original.
1 person has voted this message useful

koba
Heptaglot
AustriaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5655 days ago

118 posts - 201 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Hungarian, French

Message 18 of 35
05 April 2012 at 3:40am | IP Logged 
If you're learning an unusual and complex language (e.g. in my case, Hungarian) it's
very likely that at some point you will meet natives who regard it as the most
difficult task in the world and they will often discourage you with that, specially if
you are at the beginner stages or don't know how to speak the language so well yet.
I don't want to generalize because actually it's quite the opposite. Hungarians are in
general very supportive and ready to help, but again, I've met natives and when I told
them that I was interested in the language, by their reaction, it was almost as if they
didn't want me to learn it.

"Why? It's too complicated and practically useless. Ok, you want to learn it, but bear
in mind that it won't be easy. Oh, and by the way! Did you know that Hungarian has 26
cases?"

These also happen to be the ones who correct every mistake you make and keep
emphasizing the difficulties of the language. Not helpful. Fortunately, in my case,
this only happened a few times when I was learning Hungarian and when it did, I knew
already enough to make myself understood and not to give up.

I'm a big Krashen supporter and I believe it really makes a big difference if you have
a native/tutor supporting you throughout the learning process. It's awesome when people
come to you and are willing to talk, no matter how well you can speak their language.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Tecktight
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
Joined 4763 days ago

227 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian
Studies: German, Russian, Estonian

Message 19 of 35
09 April 2012 at 5:36am | IP Logged 
My father is generally against me learning any languages beyond what I need for school, as he believes it distracts
from my studies. Then again, he holds that opinion no matter /what/ I'm doing. If I draw a masterpiece, it's "Oh,
yes, that's nice, but you should be studying." Sigh.

My mother wasn't too fond of my German studies, at first, but she warmed up after she realized me going to Berlin
means she'll get to easily drag me to her favorite place on the planet, Vienna, for Apfelstrudel. Not that I'll be
complaining...

And, of course, no one really supports Estonian. But, I'll show 'em. It might take me years, but it'll happen.

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4458 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 20 of 35
09 April 2012 at 7:39am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
She was afraid I'd might get better at it than her, and did not want the competition.

Hmm...another interesting topic by Solfrid Cristin. I'm a competitive person by nature, and have used this to my
advantage in learning languages. But I have to admit if I was in her place, having 4 years under my belt, there was a time
I would feel a tiny bit threatened that my litter sister could pass me up and show me up in one of those imaginary
cocktail parties where everyone is demanding displays of language abilities. I'm also a showoff by nature.

But these days when I hear someone I know is learning one of my languages, I try to help them as much as possible. This
gives me great satisfaction; I like feeling useful and being in a position of superior knowledge. I learned long ago that
I'm a slow language learner, and most serious learners will pass me up eventually, provided they stick with it. So getting
some benefit from their learning, before they eventually compete with and defeat me, is sort of a useful compromise
that saves my ego a little bit.

To answer your question though, nobody has ever told me to stay away from a language. Such is the life of a
Dragonsbane.

Bao wrote:
I was more musing to myself because I realized what an incredible waste of energy this kind of
competiton can be.

It can be, depending the learner. In my case most forms of competition are useful.

onurdolar
Diglot
Groupie
TurkeyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4439 days ago

98 posts - 147 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 21 of 35
09 April 2012 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
Well not sure if this counts but my brother asked me to stop studying German and threatened to beat me if i ever tried to speak German in the house because appereantly it sounds horrible.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5121 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 22 of 35
09 April 2012 at 2:35pm | IP Logged 
onurdolar wrote:
Well not sure if this counts but my brother asked me to stop studying German and
threatened to beat me if i ever tried to speak German in the house because appereantly it sounds horrible.

Well that is certainly a new twist. I remember my sister was annoyed, but she didn't threaten me with
physical violence. But then again, when you are in your 30ies, you are a bit passed the point where you
beat up your sister :-)
3 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5711 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 23 of 35
09 April 2012 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
No one in my family has ever asked me not to learn a language, but if they ever do make such a strange request I will ignore it.

Edited by mick33 on 09 April 2012 at 10:13pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5912 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 24 of 35
09 April 2012 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
People seem to understand about Japanese, but Finnish? My brother told me 'don't learn Finnish' -- maybe he thinks Finnish isn't useful. I can't imagine why.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version