Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4722 days ago

88 posts - 103 votes 
Speaks: Swedish, Hindi, Portuguese, English*, Marathi
Studies: German, Danish, Sanskrit, Icelandic

Message 57 of 76
03 June 2012 at 10:25am | IP Logged 
Hello there! I started this thread and although I didn't read the book we chose to read
on this forum (I hate reading things on my computer) I have been reading in German. I
read a couple of short stories by Henrich Böll and this book:
http://ia600206.us.archive.org/zipview.php?zip=/10/items/olc overs317/olcovers317-
L.zip&file=3173061-L.jpg

I am reading two books right now:

Die Verlorene Ehre der Katharina Blum by Henrich Böll
Briefe an einen jungen Dichter by Rainer Maria Rilke

I've just started them and if anyone plans to read them or has read them, let me know!
2 persons have voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6724 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 58 of 76
08 June 2012 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
Flarioca wrote:
I think we only need to choose another book, start reading it and comment about it here.

One reason I felt the first attempt had fizzled was because it wasn't clear how much of the plot could be divulged in a discussion at any given point. One would probably do well to come up with and post a schedule of when individual chapters become open for a free discussion without the fear of it becoming a spoiler. Those behind on a chapter could then either choose to have it spoiled for them or hold off on looking at the discussion until they have caught up on their reading.

Edited by frenkeld on 08 June 2012 at 10:50pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4609 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 59 of 76
08 July 2012 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
I don't know if this is of any interest to anyone here, but I recently found an English
translation of Thomas Mann's "Der Tod in Venedig" ("Death in Venice") online:

here:-

http://www.feedbooks.com/userbook/20281/death-in-venice

It is in PDF, EBUB, and MOBI (Kindle) format.

I cannot vouch for the quality of the translation, but it may be ok.

OK: I can see from the preview that I'm getting link problems with this, so here it is
in non-clickable form. You will probably have to remove a space:

http://www.feedbooks.com/userbook/20281/death-in-venice

Edited by montmorency on 09 July 2012 at 5:09am

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4609 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 60 of 76
09 July 2012 at 5:53am | IP Logged 
For fans of Fontane, this looks pretty interesting. I'm not going to attempt to give a
link, but if you go to amazon.com, then search on

"Irrungen Wirrungen, Berliner Roman: Diversions and Entanglements, A Berlin Novel
(translation) (English and German Edition)".

It has both German and English text, side by side, as well as comprehensive notes.

Not especially cheap, but could be worth it, especially those who like parallel texts.

(The PD translation, that one can find on Gutenberg, seems not to be highly regarded).

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4609 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 61 of 76
10 July 2012 at 11:33am | IP Logged 
On the subject of Fontane, I was pleasantly surprised to find in my local
library the other day, the translation of Effi Briest by Hugh Rorrison and Helen
Chambers, with intro and notes also by HC. This copy was in Penguin Classics, but I
think the same translation has appeared in Angel Books.

From the notes, I think you can tell that a lot of care has been taken with the
translation, and it seems like a very good version to me. I think there are possibly
other good modern translations around, but until now, I had only read the one on
Gutenberg, which is unfortunately abridged. This one is complete, and close enough to
the original to be useful to those who want to read it along with the German (and
possibly L-R it).

I used to think reading the translation first was somehow "cheating", but I've changed
my view, partly through experience, and partly thanks to Prof. Arguelles' view that
unless you know about 90-95% of the vocabulary, it's quite hard to get anything out of
it, if you are trying to read it "extensively". You can read it intensively if you
wish, but that can take a very long time, and you can lose the momentum and the will to
continue if you are not careful. Especially with 19th and early 20th century novels,
one is always likely to have gaps in one's vocabulary. I "harvested" at least 300 words
from "Buddenbrooks" over recent weeks, and that was even without noting down every word
I was unsure of.

@Sofiapofia:   I read Die Verlorene Ehre der Katharina Blum by Henrich Böll,
quite a few years ago. I probably read that slowly and "intensively", dictionary in
hand, and probably didn't get as much out of it as I should. I might make a better job
of it now, even without a translation. There is also a film version, with Hanna
Schygulla, who also starred in the Fassbinder film of "Effi Briest" (and several other
Fassbinder films). She's also in a film version of another Böll novel, "Ansichten Eines
Clowns".

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4609 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 62 of 76
22 July 2012 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
Apologies: It wasn't Hannah Schygulla who played in the film version of "Die Verlorene
Ehre der Katharina Blum". I was mis-remembering the photo from the front of my paperback
copy (confusing it with another film). It was someone called Angela Winkler.

Apologies for the factual error.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073858/

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 63 of 76
19 April 2013 at 2:52pm | IP Logged 
Is anyone interested in reviving this? We could use Dailylit.

mahasiswa
Pentaglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4213 days ago

91 posts - 142 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German, Malay
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Persian, Russian, Turkish, Mandarin, Hindi

Message 64 of 76
19 April 2013 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
I wouldn't mind so much joining in. I'm writing my third-year German exam today, German Lit. of the 20
and 21st century. I had to read short stories and other pieces of literature by Hesse, Schnitzler, Kafka,
Dada, Thomas Mann, Brecht, Celan, Friedrich Dürrenmatt, Plenzdorf, Ingeborg Bachmann, Elias Canetti,
Emine Sevgi Özdamar and Bernhard Schlink. Ich lese sehr gerne auf Deutsch!

Dailylit looks great, by the way!

This discussion contains 76 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version