Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4700 days ago

88 posts - 103 votes 
Speaks: Swedish, Hindi, Portuguese, English*, Marathi
Studies: German, Danish, Sanskrit, Icelandic

Message 9 of 76
05 April 2012 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
Well it seems like 'Der Frauenmörder' is the one most people will read. Although I hate
reading books on my computer, I'm going to try and it since it might be more useful to
read the same as other people.

Feel free to read whatever you want though! I might continue reading Der Verlorene on
the side.

I think the most important thing is to start reading really, whatever you decide to
read. I realise the idea of a book club is to read the same book and discuss it but
since this seems impossible at the moment, it might be best to post a progress report
once every now and then on this thread.

Some ideas to get you started:

1. Do you have a daily target? If so, do you manage to stick to it?
2. Do you look up new words or do you try and figure it out from the context?
3. Are you actively learning new words from your chosen book? (using Anki or word lists
and so on)
4. General problems and possibly some suggestions?

I'm going to try and get a Kindle sometime soon!

Edited by sofiapofia on 05 April 2012 at 10:30pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4447 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 10 of 76
05 April 2012 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
If you don't like reading on a computer (a position with which I sympathize quite a bit, btw), you'd hate my solution--I read on my iPhone. Hey, work paid for me to have the phone, and the downloads are free usually.

1. I ride the train for 20 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes in the evening for my commute. I read essentially the whole time for 30-40 minutes per day, which is pretty easy to stick to. I do other reading as well, but this is the only regularly-scheduled reading I do, at least for German.

2. When I'm doing "other" reading, I look up a lot less, but when I'm reading on the iPhone Kindle app, I try to take advantage of the built-in dictionary to look up everything that I find at all confusing. Often, I can figure a word out from context, or may be familiar with it, but I'll look it up anyways to try to understand the nuances that are being evoked and reinforce the word.

3. I use the Kindle dictionary precisely because it's fast and easy. I don't use word lists or Anki because they're the opposite. I don't claim it's the best or fastest way to learn words well for everyone, but it's what works for me because I don't get frustrated this way.

sofiapofia
Pentaglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4700 days ago

88 posts - 103 votes 
Speaks: Swedish, Hindi, Portuguese, English*, Marathi
Studies: German, Danish, Sanskrit, Icelandic

Message 11 of 76
05 April 2012 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
If you don't like reading on a computer (a position with which I
sympathize quite a bit, btw), you'd hate my solution--I read on my iPhone. Hey, work
paid for me to have the phone, and the downloads are free usually.

1. I ride the train for 20 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes in the evening for my
commute. I read essentially the whole time for 30-40 minutes per day, which is pretty
easy to stick to. I do other reading as well, but this is the only regularly-scheduled
reading I do, at least for German.

2. When I'm doing "other" reading, I look up a lot less, but when I'm reading on the
iPhone Kindle app, I try to take advantage of the built-in dictionary to look up
everything that I find at all confusing. Often, I can figure a word out from context,
or may be familiar with it, but I'll look it up anyways to try to understand the
nuances that are being evoked and reinforce the word.

3. I use the Kindle dictionary precisely because it's fast and easy. I don't use word
lists or Anki because they're the opposite. I don't claim it's the best or fastest way
to learn words well for everyone, but it's what works for me because I don't get
frustrated this way.

I know, I've been reading on my iPhone for a while now and I think that's why my eyes
feel strained all the time. I've decided to read the book on my computer anyway! I just
edited my previous post! On to Kapitel 1 now!
1 person has voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6702 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 12 of 76
05 April 2012 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
sofiapofia wrote:
1. Do you have a daily target? If so, do you manage to stick to it?
2. Do you look up new words or do you try and figure it out from the context?
3. Are you actively learning new words from your chosen book? (using Anki or word lists
and so on)

1. I don't set daily targets, but I keep records to know what my average pace is.

2. I used to read paper books, mostly extensively, looking up very few, if any, words. However, the Sony eReader I bought for New Year's has a good built-in bilingual German-English dictionary (ditto for Spanish, French, and Italian), so I've switched to looking up all the new words.

3. With the eReader, I've been looking up all the new words but not recording them. The logic/hope is that I can easily look up the same word a few times until it sticks. If that ends up not leading to adequate progress, I'll start recording and reviewing the new words, but I am not there yet.

Looks like I need to suspend whatever I've been reading and start on "Der Frauenmörder" ... :)

Edited by frenkeld on 05 April 2012 at 11:09pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 13 of 76
06 April 2012 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
We could have a German consistency thread if enough people want :)

Think I'll try to read that Frauenmörder thing as well... Where can it be downloaded? Has it been translated into other languages? :D

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6702 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 14 of 76
06 April 2012 at 1:25am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Where can it be downloaded?

Here is the US Amazon link, and here's the German one (with many reader comments).

You can read it chapter-by-chapter here.

And if you'd like a pdf, there is one here.

Edited by frenkeld on 06 April 2012 at 1:30am

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5641 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 15 of 76
06 April 2012 at 2:02am | IP Logged 
I've already got the Gutenberg project version of "Der Frauenmörder" and I'm going to read it through Learning with Texts (see also here).

It means that I'll read it and add the unknown words into my LwT Anki deck. It also means that I'll have some statistics, e.g, number of words per chapter, number of unkown words per chapters, number of new Ankied words per chapter etc.

Edit: From shear numbers I'm getting from LwT, it seems that the vocabulary of this book is not so easy.

Edited by Flarioca on 06 April 2012 at 2:59am

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4447 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 16 of 76
06 April 2012 at 4:18am | IP Logged 
Yeah, I read the first page and it was clear this was going to be a lot of unfamiliar vocabulary. Not that there's
anything wrong with that.

This discussion contains 76 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version