Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4458 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 97 of 164
29 April 2012 at 9:49am | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:
if I really wanted I'd most certainly start learning any of them, but I'm sure that I'd be more
scared of Chinese than of the others.
Even though the grammar in Hungarian is much harder than in Chinese, the Chinese writing system and the tonal
approach scare me more.

That's my opinion too. It looks like Benny's article failed to convince you that Chinese is as easy as the other
languages.

Lucky Charms wrote:
I was actually pretty surprised to read this.

Most agree that Mandarin is more difficult than Spanish (for a native English speaker, level playing field, etc, etc).

Incidentally I got more confirmation that Benny's level at the 3.25 month video was A2. My Chinese language partner
reviewed his video today, and I asked her what she thought his level was. She said it wasn't bad, but it probably
would have been better if he'd been in an intensive program at a private language school for the same amount of
time (I told her he'd put in 900 hours over 100 days - my best guess). I told her about the European scale, and said I
was at B1, and wanted to estimate what his level was. She said that because his sentences were short and often
truncated, and because he used very little vocabulary, he was not very close to B1.
6 persons have voted this message useful

irishpolyglot
Nonaglot
Ireland
fluentin3months
Joined 5420 days ago

285 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: Irish, English*, French, Esperanto, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Sign Language
Studies: Mandarin

Message 98 of 164
29 April 2012 at 2:03pm | IP Logged 
I noticed that you never answered the question of what wasn't truthful in my article.

From several pages back:

emk wrote:
I can't speak for others, but I'd prefer that this thread not turn into an extended argument over Benny's skill level. If we must discuss that, I'd prefer that (1) we try to avoid making personal accusations, and that (2) we quote relevant criteria from the CEFRL documents.

I'm sure this friend of yours had no coaching or influence whatsoever from your own particular opinion... a very scientific assessment indeed.

I'm bored with this A2 vs B1 argument. Anyone else?

There is only one reason I see to keep arguing endlessly that I'm wrong about everything.
2 persons have voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4502 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 99 of 164
29 April 2012 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
Wulfgar wrote:

That's my opinion too. It looks like Benny's article failed to convince you that Chinese is as easy as the other languages.

Well, I wouldn't see it that way. I had almost no knowledge of the Chinese language prior to Benny's challenge, besides the crazy "kanji" system and the tonal approach of the language. His journey with Mandarin made me realize that it is, indeed, a tough language to get by, no one doubts that, but also that it's manageable. I didn't know any of the example he gave in his text, like the "bottle-open-tool". He showed me that, in its own way, Chinese makes sense, and that was something far from what I imagined before. It's made me also want to learn Chinese someday, after I "finish" with my Russian, Dutch and French.
Not only this last text, but his whole journey and the video made me realize that Chinese isn't "impossible" at all, and it's also not the way I figured before, so I can say it certainly inspired me. Since that was his main goal with the article, I'd say "mission accomplished".

Edited by fabriciocarraro on 29 April 2012 at 5:33pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

Gorgoll2
Brazil
veritassword.blogspo
Joined 4933 days ago

159 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*

Message 100 of 164
29 April 2012 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
I cannot talk about his other languages, but his Portuguese is almost perfect, along
with his Spanish and Italian. Therefore I think Benny is a quite good polyglot.

Edited by Gorgoll2 on 29 April 2012 at 9:23pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5856 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 101 of 164
30 April 2012 at 1:20am | IP Logged 
Wulfgar wrote:
Incidentally I got more confirmation that Benny's level at the 3.25 month video was A2.

old news..
http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/36222-benny-lewis-3-month-quest-to-become-fluent-in-mandarin/page__st__220 wrote:

@roddy
"..Guy studied hard for three months, learned a bit of Chinese. Nothing special, and to be honest given the amount of hype, pretty disappointing. Nothing you couldn't get out of three months at a decent language school. In fact quite possibly a lot less. Credit for trying though."

btw, are you talking about the chinesepod ad?

Gorgoll2 wrote:
I cannot talk about his other languages, but his Portuguese is almost perfect, along with his Spanish and Italian.

I don't know about his Italian, french and German skills, but his Spanish and portuguese ones seem to be quite good -at least his "speaking"

p.s. weird.. this forum automatically capitalize the first letter of Italian, German and Spanish but what about french and portuguese?.. weird software

Edited by tmp011007 on 30 April 2012 at 1:27am

1 person has voted this message useful

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4458 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 102 of 164
30 April 2012 at 7:49am | IP Logged 
irishpolyglot wrote:
I noticed that you never answered the question of what wasn't truthful in my article.

I did answer your question. I won't be answering any more posts from lucky charms, since I assume this is also you. I suppose the name should
have tipped me off.

irishpolyglot wrote:
I'm bored with this A2 vs B1 argument.

You continue to discuss it, so I will too.

irishpolyglot wrote:
I'm sure this friend of yours had no coaching or influence whatsoever from your own particular opinion

There was definitely coaching. I didn't want to mention it. After reading several posts saying you were B1, I thought I might have been wrong in my
assessment. I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt, and coach her in a way that would give you an advantage, rather than disadvantage. So I
told my partner you had accomplished something amazing for 3 months. You had reached a pretty high level, probably higher than mine. As I
said, she disagreed with me.

I didn't read the link you posted. There is nothing wrong with criticizing things that you have written as long as the criticism falls within the rules
of the forum.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6736 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 103 of 164
30 April 2012 at 8:06am | IP Logged 
Wulfgar wrote:
I did answer your question. I won't be answering any more posts from
lucky charms, since I assume this is also you. I suppose the name should
have tipped me off.

You can't be serious. What a half-assed way to try to discredit someone. It doesn't
exactly take a detective to see I've been a member of this forum for almost 7 years
(since the year the site was created, way back when there were only a handful of
members and the admin and ProfA were the most prolific posters) and have hundreds of
posts about a language Benny has never studied. That's quite a cover-up effort, only to
ruin it all by choosing a vaguely Irish-related name, don't you think, Wulfgar? ...or
should we call you by your real name Steve Kaufmann, since there can't possibly be more
than one person with an opinion different than mine (/sarcasm)?

I thought I was quite polite and friendly in asking you what you meant about Benny's
article being untruthful. If it didn't come off that way in print, I'm sorry, but
that's how I meant it. I like hearing different opinions and I'm not the type to argue
with someone just for the sake of being right. So even though I was skeptical that
there were any misleading statements or mistruths in the article (which again, so
closely matches my own opinion on the matter), I decided to give you the benefit of the
doubt. After all, "untruthful" is quite an allegation, which I thought you would have a
good reason to make. Considering your reaction, I'm now beginning to think you don't
have any reason, but I'm still waiting anyway.

EDIT: You said that you've already answered, but you've only made comments on Benny's
level (which I'm in no position to judge). Maybe this is what you meant about the
article being untruthful? But the article is not about Benny's level; it's about
Chinese being more accessible than its reputation. Was there anything specific in the
article that you disagreed with?

Edited by Lucky Charms on 30 April 2012 at 8:35am

17 persons have voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5240 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 104 of 164
30 April 2012 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 
tmp011007 wrote:
p.s. weird.. this forum automatically capitalize the first letter of Italian, German and Spanish
but what about french and portuguese?.. weird software

Even weirder:: It capitalises the Spanish word Italiano.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 164 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version