Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4730 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 113 of 164
03 May 2012 at 3:50am | IP Logged 
To me much of this discussion is irrelevant because languages is a passionate hobby of mine, but it is still a hobby. I don't really need it to survive (even as I am considering some university study that takes advantage of my hobby).

I actually enjoy grammar and figuring out on my own how it works and how a language is put together. Most people do not enjoy grammar for its sake, they just study it as a necessary plinth in language learning.

I do believe full immersion and a positive attitude (in other words, wanting to learn), does wonders. I have read and listened to so much German, French, and Portuguese in the last 18 months since I began hardcore learning (plus a fair bit of writing plus extensive grammar), that I really am confident that if I could be in those countries just for 3-4 weeks I would be fluent. And I'm not one to make claims (never have here or anywhere, I just go where my learning takes me).

The first time I spoke either German or French was because I ran into people that happened to be natives, and in the most unexpected places. I was nervous, but I held crude conversations in both languages for 45 minutes to an hour. Remember, I never had spoken before to anyone in those languages, and both situations arose suddendly and unplanned, therefore I had no time to "mentally prepare" (which perhaps, after some thinking over, was a blessing).

Based on my own experiences with languages (and now that I have three experiences I feel to have some amount of foundation to ratiotinate an opinion), I think I personally could reach some fluency in three months with full immersion and some grammar and vocabulary building. It does take fortitudinous pertinacity.
6 persons have voted this message useful

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5850 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 114 of 164
03 May 2012 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
this guy has the same level in Spanish than Benny in mandarin.. a pretty good lvl for 3 months if you ask me

spanish in 12 weeks
http://youtu.be/P4sHt_0x_lE
3 persons have voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6649 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 115 of 164
03 May 2012 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
tmp011007 wrote:
this guy has the same level in Spanish than Benny in mandarin.. a pretty good lvl for 3 months if you ask me

spanish in 12 weeks
http://youtu.be/P4sHt_0x_lE

Not too shabby.
1 person has voted this message useful

mountains
Norway
Joined 4374 days ago

12 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian

Message 116 of 164
05 May 2012 at 1:10am | IP Logged 
I have been reading Benny's blog for the last 8 or so months. His blog was probably
one of the first I started to read, and also helped to bolster my new found passion for
what everyone here loves; languages. I learnt a lot of motivational techniques and
ways to overcome hurdles as I was new to the whole language learning process. His
never say die attitude certainly has given me a good foundation to which my study
patterns and speaking habits are based around, and I thank him for that.

However as of late, and what seems to have become a growing trend, I dislike the way he
treats some people on his site. His extreme distaste for any criticism directed to him
and sometimes arrogant and humiliating retorts to those said critics, have led me to
feel somewhat disillusioned to what he preaches. Nearly all critical comments are
branded as "trolling" and users slammed if posts or comments are misread or
misinterpreted.

As I have learnt from this site, language learning is totally subjective and depends on
a variety of variables. There is no right or wrong methodology, and everyone's
learning methods differ from the next.

This is by no means a stab at Benny, and I've never critiqued his methods on his site
(as I clearly don't know enough to say anything) but rather constructive criticism
which can either be taken or not.     

25 persons have voted this message useful

zhanglong
United States
Joined 4710 days ago

322 posts - 427 votes 
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 117 of 164
05 May 2012 at 1:43am | IP Logged 
mountains wrote:
I have been reading Benny's blog for the last 8 or so months. His blog was probably
one of the first I started to read, and also helped to bolster my new found passion for
what everyone here loves; languages. I learnt a lot of motivational techniques and
ways to overcome hurdles as I was new to the whole language learning process. His
never say die attitude certainly has given me a good foundation to which my study
patterns and speaking habits are based around, and I thank him for that.

However as of late, and what seems to have become a growing trend, I dislike the way he
treats some people on his site. His extreme distaste for any criticism directed to him
and sometimes arrogant and humiliating retorts to those said critics, have led me to
feel somewhat disillusioned to what he preaches. Nearly all critical comments are
branded as "trolling" and users slammed if posts or comments are misread or
misinterpreted.

As I have learnt from this site, language learning is totally subjective and depends on
a variety of variables. There is no right or wrong methodology, and everyone's
learning methods differ from the next.

This is by no means a stab at Benny, and I've never critiqued his methods on his site
(as I clearly don't know enough to say anything) but rather constructive criticism
which can either be taken or not.     

I'm still new to the community of internet language learners myself, and it's a different dynamic here. People have all sorts of agendas and sometimes can be very rude when they talk about others. For example, one internet language maven has a fighting background so his posts are somewhat aggressive in tone. Others have years of experience speaking many languages, so while they may not have an academic credential, they have a lot of experience that has worked, for them. Others suffer from personality disorders that have them claiming expertise in an impossible number of languages and then lashing out at any others who may question their claims. It's a very mixed bag.

But then again, you have some really humble, talented, hard-working people who are not selling any particular book or method or point of view who selflessly share what their own experience is while learning about languages and learning about themselves.

Those people are the real treasures of this website. They have a tremendous wealth of knowledge, enthusiasm, talent, and passion for what we all share.

I'm not one for joining clubs or associations, but I'm truly happy to be a part of this forum.

As for Benny, he has a tremendous enthusiasm for learning language which he shares on his blog. He's convinced a lot of people to pursue their passion for studying a language. He's not a professional linguist, philologist, or educator, but he's a guy who loves languages, like all the rest of us. Take him for what he is.

9 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5313 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 118 of 164
15 May 2012 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
mountains wrote:
However as of late, and what seems to have become a growing trend, I
dislike the way he treats some people on his site. His extreme distaste for any
criticism directed to him and sometimes arrogant and humiliating retorts to those said
critics, have led me to feel somewhat disillusioned to what he preaches. Nearly all
critical comments are branded as "trolling" and users slammed if posts or comments are
misread or misinterpreted.

Benny was really cranky during the first 3 months of his Chinese project, and I
agree that he was fairly rude to several people, both here on HTLAL and on his site.
You could see him working very hard to keep the conversation positive, and occasionally
snapping.

This kind of cranky irritability is a classic symptom of burnout, which is what happens
when you push yourself too hard for too long. Been there, done that, don't like the way
I snapped at people over nothing.

Check out this photo of Benny. Not a
happy camper, there.

That's the thing about avoiding your native language: You learn fast, because you're
painfully desperate. If you immerse around high A2, you'll basically have the
language skills of a toddler for a month, and you'll have some very rough days. As far
as I can tell from his blog and (and the French translation of) his book, Benny loves
immersion because it's a terrifyingly effective motivator. Me, I'm perfectly happy to
finish Assimil before trying to talk, because then I'm not totally at a loss. But there
comes a time when you just need to dive in and do it, even if we all disagree on when.

As for Benny, I'm happy that he's over the hump. He can talk. He can socialize. He can
probably make jokes. And instead of grinding away in agony, he's travelling around
China and having some fun with his Chinese.

13 persons have voted this message useful

translator2
United States
Joined 6700 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 120 of 164
22 May 2012 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
Benny's method probably works if you like people, you are an extrovert, and your goal is to be able to chit-chat about languages and traveling.

However, if you are like me and you do not even enjoy talking to other people in your native language and you are interested in languages solely from a scientific viewpoint and to be able to read books and translate, then his methods are not very useful. However, I do like his articles about grammar and the links that he posts on his website and FB page.

Edited by translator2 on 22 May 2012 at 8:17pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 164 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version