Groupie
France
youtube.com/NewLangu
Joined 4385 days ago

74 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 57 of 164
16 April 2012 at 1:27pm | IP Logged 
I meant "linguist" in the layman's sense of the word, of course.

Another thing I have noticed is that some of the most vociferous and critical "polyglots" do not post and videos of themselves speaking languages, only talking about learning them.
2 persons have voted this message useful

irishpolyglot
Nonaglot
Ireland
fluentin3months
Joined 5411 days ago

285 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: Irish, English*, French, Esperanto, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Sign Language
Studies: Mandarin

Message 58 of 164
16 April 2012 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
Speaking as a layman (or at least an electronic engineer and monolingual until age 21), I've always considered linguist to mean "someone who studies linguistics" or at least a "language scientist".

My feeling is that it isn't academic vs colloquial or vs laymen, but perhaps it's more common in north America to be used in a way many of us don't. Another "fanny"/"fag"/"rubber" that means something completely different across the pond...

Anyway, I correct people if they call me a linguist. The same way I would if they call me an astrophysicist.

[Signed Benny the Irish polyglot, not Benny the linguist ;) ]
10 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4400 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 59 of 164
18 April 2012 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
I don't actually care whether Benny actually learns as much as he says he does within a 3-month time frame, although I have no real reason to doubt him.

But I do find his website a real source of inspiration. He explodes all the myths about this "I can't do languages" mindset that many people shelter beneath. And while he may not be able to discuss complex topics on his current Mandarin mission, he's out there speaking the language in a confident manner with real people.

I had always convinced myself that I managed to learn German because my wife is from that country and I have the chance to go there often, but that a Slavic language would be way too difficult because of the "impossible" grammar. But I took heart from Benny's global experiences and threw myself straight into Russian, having coversations (online) from the outset. And it's working.
7 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5159 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 60 of 164
18 April 2012 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
irishpolyglot wrote:
Speaking as a layman (or at least an electronic engineer and monolingual until age 21), I've always considered linguist to mean "someone who studies linguistics" or at least a "language scientist".

My feeling is that it isn't academic vs colloquial or vs laymen, but perhaps it's more common in north America to be used in a way many of us don't. Another "fanny"/"fag"/"rubber" that means something completely different across the pond...

Anyway, I correct people if they call me a linguist. The same way I would if they call me an astrophysicist.

[Signed Benny the Irish polyglot, not Benny the linguist ;) ]

I think people who insist on using the word linguist, such as Steve, do it because they feel that very few people actually understand the word "polyglot". Multilingual is another common word, but some make a distinction between multilingual people, who know multiple languages because they need to use them in the daily lives, and polyglots, who study languages to expand their horizons, not out of necessity.

I might call myself a linguist in some cases, but I DO have a degree in Linguistics...

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4908 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 61 of 164
18 April 2012 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:

I think people who insist on using the word linguist, such as Steve, do it because they feel that very few people actually understand the word "polyglot".

On the other hand, it takes two minutes, tops, to describe the two words. When I see/hear people insisting on using the word "linguist" knowing full well that they know and can describe the difference between the two words, it's because they're trying to prove a point, not trying to make it easier for the everyman to understand.

R.
==
7 persons have voted this message useful

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 6999 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 62 of 164
21 April 2012 at 2:13am | IP Logged 
Michael K. wrote:
Oh, no, not Christophe Clugston, he's definitely the most unpleasant and egotistical of the YouTube polyglots. He told this one guy he'd never get a native Spanish accent if he never left the states.

I saw Christophe's Spanish video and he did not sound like a native speaker to my ears. Maybe a native speaker from Spain can critique his video better, as I can understand the video and do not really care if his accent is native or not. Odd, as he stated in another video, that he was in Spain around ten years.

Back on topic. Benny did not reach his intended goal of C1 in Chinese in three months. I think he failed at the objective in the time restriction, but succeeded in progressing, which in my opinion is more important. How I view it, he can only get better if he continues with Mandarin.

Edited by alang on 21 April 2012 at 2:16am

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5847 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 63 of 164
21 April 2012 at 3:02am | IP Logged 
alang wrote:
I saw Christophe's Spanish video and he did not sound like a native speaker to my ears.

which one:
http://youtu.be/FvIRzTXpkZA or
http://youtu.be/YJ_Yc8JZ5FQ ?

btw, what do you think about this guy's Spanish? (I know it's indeed quite unfair but..)
http://youtu.be/tsSLollpBwk?t=44s
http://youtu.be/JxXNVqufgB8

Edited by tmp011007 on 21 April 2012 at 3:13am

1 person has voted this message useful

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 6999 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 64 of 164
21 April 2012 at 4:49am | IP Logged 
tmp011007 wrote:
alang wrote:
I saw Christophe's Spanish video and he did not sound like a native speaker to my ears.

which one:
http://youtu.be/FvIRzTXpkZA or
http://youtu.be/YJ_Yc8JZ5FQ ?

btw, what do you think about this guy's Spanish? (I know it's indeed quite unfair but..)
http://youtu.be/tsSLollpBwk?t=44s
http://youtu.be/JxXNVqufgB8

I listened to the 46 second Spanish video of Christophe. Would you be able to judge his sound and accent?
Christophe criticizes other speakers and I am interested in knowing where he is placed.
Richard Vaughan sounds native to my ears.
Overall accents does not bother me when someone speaks a language, as long as I understand and can communicate fluidly with one another.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 164 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version