United Kingdom
tinyurl.com/aberdeen
Joined 5328 days ago

199 posts - 317 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 164
04 April 2012 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
I am aware that there has been some debate on here about Benny, and up to now I have
not made any comment due to the fact that I don't feel that I know a lot about language
learning. I am only learning one language and I am nowhere near fluent after
considerably more than three months.

However, I just read this blog post by Benny and thought that it was worth sharing
http://www.fluentin3months.com/possible

I don't think that Benny makes any outrageous comments. What I take from it is that
given the right motivation, it is possible to reach a reasonable degree of fluency in
three months. It is not necessary or desirable for everyone. Anyone who does not wish
to study at this intensity is free to do it differently.

So from me, it's good luck to Benny and what he is doing.

Jim

PS Sorry, for some reason, I seem to no longer be able to post active links
4 persons have voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4496 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 2 of 164
05 April 2012 at 5:09am | IP Logged 
I've just read this last Benny's post on his website and found it really interesting. The nuances between "wanting" and "needing" to learn a language is a very interesting concept.
Although I've never tried to "speak from day 1" as he claims to be a good method, that's just because I don't feel confident enough to do so. I usually take my time, for example, in Russian my first conversation was about 8 months after starting to learn it, the same with Dutch.

I know Benny's approach can sometimes be a little harsh and people be a little skeptic, and he probably brought it on himself, but I agree with what he, Luca, Torbyne say, that you must have confidence and specially, that fluency in a language is not something you measure by the number of words you know (like some linguists tend to say), but by how well you can express yourself, your ideas, communicate in the language.

For me, he comes as a great motivation and a prove that you can learn a language really well if you "live" the language.
1 person has voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4417 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 3 of 164
05 April 2012 at 5:23am | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:
...but I agree with what he, Luca, Torbyne say, that you must have confidence and specially, that fluency in a language is not something you measure by the number of words you know...

Not to be condescending or anything, I'm just basing this off of the fact you're at B2 English, and I saw you post this two times, but just wanted to let you know that in the context you are using "...that you must have confidence and specially...", it should be "especially"
1 person has voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4496 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 4 of 164
05 April 2012 at 5:44am | IP Logged 
sillygoose1 wrote:
Not to be condescending or anything, I'm just basing this off of the fact you're at B2 English, and I saw you post this two times, but just wanted to let you know that in the context you are using "...that you must have confidence and specially...", it should be "especially"

Don't worry about it, sillygoose1! Thank you very much for correcting me! =) I've been to a "British English" school here in Brazil, could that be the reason? I mean, is it used differently in American and British English or that's not the case here?

Edited by fabriciocarraro on 05 April 2012 at 5:52am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5346 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 5 of 164
05 April 2012 at 9:11am | IP Logged 
It is the same in British English - 'especially' or 'specifically' would do :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 6 of 164
05 April 2012 at 2:42pm | IP Logged 
I think what Benny does is interesting and has a lot of merit. I used to be able to do what he does now
when I was a kid. I would love to see if I could have done it again now that I am an adult. I suspect not, but
I respect and admire him for what he does. If he has tended to be surrounded by controversy, I think it is
mainly because he is so enthusiastic about what he does that some people feel a little run over. I tend to be
like that myself, so I know how people react to it. I consider myself a fairly good boss, but when I am on
vacation and get a lot of time to think I tend to come back with 1000 ideas for things to do at work, and
sometimes that can be a bit overwhelming. The good thing with Benny is that unlike my employees who
have to follow my ideas, we are all free to learn from his ideas or to ignore them completely :-)
4 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5450 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 7 of 164
05 April 2012 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
If he has tended to be surrounded by controversy, I think it is
mainly because he is so enthusiastic about what he does that some people feel a little run over.

I am not sure the controversy relates to his enthusiasm, but rather to the validity of his claims. However, I need to tread carefully here, lest the thread be closed.
12 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 8 of 164
05 April 2012 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
I don't know much about him but I'll be checking out his methods now that I'm hopefully going to Poland soon. I'd sure love to speak as much Polish there as possible:)

This claim is dubious, though:

Quote:
When a 16 year old can speak 23 languages to various extents (including fluency in several), then there’s no doubt that he’d be speaking C1/C2 of whatever you throw at him if he gave it his full-time attention for 90 days.

Languages do need time. It may well be possible with related languages, but only if you've already had some exposure before and can understand a lot, even if you never made a conscious effort and can't say you've had any previous study of the language.

It's like with Iversen's word list method. He can use it to learn 100 words in an hour. Does it mean if you do this for five hours a day you can learn 500 words a day? Not really, he's said so himself.

Edited by Serpent on 05 April 2012 at 7:01pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 164 messages over 21 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version