nazehner
United States
Joined 4724 days ago

9 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 23
05 April 2012 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
I have been reading posts from awhile back and I realized that ProfArguelles no longer
posts on here. I was wondering if there was a particular reason, as he seems like quite
an accomplished polyglot.

Anyone know about this?
1 person has voted this message useful

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4798 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 2 of 23
05 April 2012 at 7:27pm | IP Logged 
Perhaps he has realised that talking about 'learning languages' all day long in a forum comes in the way of actual language learning. :) LOL

Edited by napoleon on 05 April 2012 at 7:28pm

20 persons have voted this message useful

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4453 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 3 of 23
06 April 2012 at 6:47am | IP Logged 
I get the impression he got overwhelmed in his polyglottery room here and transitioned to making a lot of you-tube
videos to help learners.

ProfASAr you tube channel
3 persons have voted this message useful

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6098 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 4 of 23
09 April 2012 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
Actually, I think part of the reason was the impersonal nature of the exchanges that took place. If you recall, his subforum was created largely to dispense advice and help design study plans for learners. The problem was, after expending a lot of time energy writing lengthy, detailed posts for the benefit of others, he quite often got no follow-ups or replies from those who had originally sought his counsel.

In many ways YouTube is a better medium for him, as he can reach a wider audience more easily, that is, people are more likely to come across his videos than they are his posts, and he is also able to directly show people things like shadowing that have proved difficult to explain in writing.

Truth be told, I genuinely miss his forum posts. I have read and re-read them so many times as they are full of gold nuggets of information. I love his videos, particularly his lectures, but given a choice between them and his written contributions, I would have to choose the latter.

Perhaps if we were to collectively write to him, requesting his continued presence on the forum, he might consider posting here again?

Would anyone else be interested in doing this?
17 persons have voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6457 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 5 of 23
09 April 2012 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
I remember there was a file with all his old posts. Do you know where can I find it?

2 persons have voted this message useful

lichtrausch
Triglot
United States
Joined 5742 days ago

525 posts - 1072 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 6 of 23
09 April 2012 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
ChristopherB wrote:

Truth be told, I genuinely miss his forum posts. I have read and re-read them so many
times as they are full of gold nuggets of information. I love his videos, particularly
his lectures, but given a choice between them and his written contributions, I would have
to choose the latter.

I've also greatly enjoyed going back and reading his contributions on this forum. But I
don't think there is any great need for him to return. He's already explained here in
quite some detail his philosophy of languages, polyliteracy, and polyglottery. He's
written detailed descriptions of languages and learning strategies. I'd be as happy as
the next guy if he decided to return to posting here, but I feel that we already have the
treasure, which are all his archived posts.
12 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 7 of 23
09 April 2012 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
Found the original link easily via google search, but it no longer works so I reuploaded it.
15 persons have voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6457 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 8 of 23
10 April 2012 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Found the original link easily via google search, but it no longer works so I reuploaded it.

Thank you !! I have just downloaded it.

It is like a practical book about language learning.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version