Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4406 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 9 of 51
14 April 2012 at 4:58am | IP Logged 
So my copy of Harry Potter À L'Ècole Des Sorciers finally arrived. I was getting rather frustrated as I was told 10-
15 days. It arrived on the 15th day.

While I'm not ready for Harry Potter, I'm hoping to introduce it at some point. In the past I have found scanlations
of manga and worked through translating these. I'm going to try that again before Harry Potter.

While I can't really understand a great deal of it, I've been watching/listening to shows like Ally McBeal and Buffy
with subtitles. If my housemates are around and want to watch, I put french subtitles on and if I'm alone I'll listen
to french. I know it's probably not helping a great deal but it's got to be better than nothing.

I'm about to go label stuff in my room, and perhaps the rest of the house, and see if that is of use.

I must start using some SRS but I'm so busy with my real life assessment and studies at the moment that I jjust
can't afford to focus so much on French. That said, having french speaking in the background can't hurt either.
Once the next few weeks of terrible assessment pass I will be jumping into some more french.

I read somewhere that someone highlights a word in their dictionary when they look it up, so if they look it up
again and see it is highlighted, they know they have looked it up before and to make sure it gets learnt. I'm
considering this myself.

Something I struggle with when I look things up are the different forms of a word.When I learnt japanese I didn't
try and read things or even think of doing so, and it wasn't until we started conjugation, after like 5 or 6 years of
study, that I came across different forms of words. I suppose grammar is fairly important and I should work on it.
I have a grammar book that says beginner to advanced on it, but it is entirely in French. On a second glance at
the cover it says advanced beginner to advanced. *Groan* Yes, I can't use it until later on. Of course!

I bought a binder so i can put my wordlists in it. I don't have any as of yet, but I suppose if i'm going to be
reading more i need to start making some.
1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5314 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 51
14 April 2012 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
If you're looking for an inexpensive, basic French grammar book, I really liked Dover's
"Essential French Grammar". Here's an Australian source:

http://www.languagebooks.com.au/book/essential-french-gramma r-book-9780486204192.do

Edit: Delete the extra space from this URL.

This covers the most important rules, with examples, and a short list of the most
common
exceptions. It might be worth skimming quickly at some point, and then using as a
reference if you have questions.

Good luck with your French!

Edited by emk on 14 April 2012 at 2:08pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4406 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 

Message 11 of 51
15 April 2012 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
Thank you emk! I'll definitely look at getting that because it looks useful and is rather inexpensive!

So I began using memrise last night. I love it! I wish i had started sooner. I have 7 words in my garden.

I'm not sure why i like it, but I think it is the whimsy, what with the seeds, green house and garden.

I may have mentioned earlier that I am taking part in the super challenge. As keeping track of 100 books and 100
movies is a rather difficult task, I followed what some others have done and made my log (for that challenge) into
a blog. Eventually I suspect it will be my only language log, but I like keeping track here. You can find the blog at:
http://regarderetlire.wordpres s.com/ (without the extra space)

I named it regarder et à lire (watching and reaading (i think!)) because that is the basis of the challenge. I even
wrote some stuff en francais for my first post, so I thought I'd share that here. I always welcome any feedback on
my french.

Bonjour! Je suis un débutant en français et nous espérons compléter HTLAL Super Challenge. Je voudrais
améliorer mon français. et je suis fait.

I hope this means the following:

Hello! I am a beginner in French and hope to complete HTLAL Super Challenge. I would like to improve my
French. and I'm done.

JKerouac
Diglot
France
Joined 4394 days ago

6 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 12 of 51
15 April 2012 at 1:50am | IP Logged 
Hello Anna, starting your own blog to keep track of your progress is a great idea. Bon courage.

If you don't mind me correcting your previous French sentence, I would rather write :

"Bonjour ! Je suis une débutante en français et j'espère compléter HTLAL Super Challenge. Je voudrai améliorer mon français. Et j'ai fini.

Because I believe your a girl, you should write "une débutante" or "je suis débutante", the feminine form.

Because your alone and not talking on behalf of a group, you should use the singular "j'espère" instead of "nous espèrons"

"Je voudrais" with a final "s" is the futur form. Without final "s" it's the conditionnal which I believe apply here, you're expressing a wish.

"et je suis fait" is the literal translation but it doesn't make sens in french, you should write "Et j'ai fini".

As a side note, in French typography, there is always a space before an exclamation mark or a question mark.

And I do welcome feedback on my English too, so don't hesitate to correct me.
3 persons have voted this message useful

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4406 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 

Message 13 of 51
15 April 2012 at 2:07am | IP Logged 
merci beaucoup ! It is so great to get some feedback on what I have written because it is so easy to just assume it is
correct! It is definitely a challenge to work out which forms of words are appropriate at any given time but your
corrections have helped. I'm going to put them in on the blog, underneath the entry so I can see when I look back
where I came from as well as what the correct use is.

merci !

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4406 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 

Message 14 of 51
15 April 2012 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
So I'm loving Memrise! I have 19 words in my garden. I suspect I got a little carried away... when I was using anki
in the past I'd get really carried away and do plenty of wordsi n the first few days and then ended up with
ridiculous reviews. That's why I stopped when I did, though I suspect it too late.

What I am finding difficult is that while I'm a beginner, I'm not a total beginner. Many of the words I did in
memrise are ones I already knew. Okay, there are now more that I don't know, but save the second word
presented (limoger), I knew at least the first 10 already, if not more.

Yeah that's great, but it was a little annoying. Especially when Manger came up. Having Italian grandparents who
speak English poorly, mangiare comes up all the time and it is just a matter of spelling differently. I must say
though, there are plenty of words coming up that I didn't know. For instants boire (to drink) and la soif (thirst).
I've struggled with the genders for some, such as le restaurant (I keep saying la) and le legumes but I'm slowly
getting the hang of it. Certain genders are sticking immediately, such as la faim. In an English literature course
last semester I used the fact that hunger is a feminine word to argue a point about feminine characters in
literature.

I also remembered today that I can use pottermore as I read through harry potter in french. It will present me
with extra material and I can change the language on the site to English if I want to check anything in particular.

sgh78
Diglot
France
Joined 4423 days ago

163 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Norwegian, Latin, Persian, Biblical Hebrew, Arabic (classical), German

Message 15 of 51
17 April 2012 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
How much words do you learn everyday ?

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4406 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 

Message 16 of 51
17 April 2012 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
to be honest, I'm not focussing hardcore on vocab at the moment. life is super crazy at the moment with my uni
so I'm trying to get this under control before going hardcore into my french.

I'm working on exposure, putting french subtitles on anything we watch (even though i'm not watching becausei
hvae too much on) and where possible listening to french.

In the little while before bed each night i'm reading through a beginner's reader. I'm picking up some new vocab
from that.

I'm also finishing off michel thomas and that's teaching me a fair bit of vocab. The thing about michel thomas is
that it's difficult to guage how much you are learning. one thing I love about michel thomas is that you really
realise how many English words are basically french words pronounced badly. According to michel thomas, as a
native English speaker i have several thousand words in my vocab. haha.

How many words do you reccommend learning?

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version