Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4384 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 41 of 51
06 May 2012 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
Wow! So much easier than I would have expected! Thanks!

I wrote my first essay for the challenge today and posted it on lang-8 8.com/395415/journals/1462446">here. I basically decided I wanted to write enough for it to be an
essay for the challenge so I grabbed my dictionary and just went for it. I know there are probably lots of
mistakes in my grammar and structure, but I don't mind so much. Next essay I will try harder.
1 person has voted this message useful

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4384 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 

Message 42 of 51
17 May 2012 at 1:57am | IP Logged 
I've been really slack lately. I've been really busy with uni and then got a pretty wicked ear infection so I ended
up stopping assimil (only 2 or 3 lessons in) until I am better so I could do it better.

I went home (which is 6 hours away) over the weekend and grabbed all my DVDs. They're not in cases, so I'm
going through the slow process of seeing which ones have other languages. I'm really surprised by some of
the movies. So far I've only found 2, one of which is Amelie and the other only has subs.

I already knew I had lots of TV shows that had french, but I was surprised to see that my Fresh Prince of Bel
Air dvds have french audio. This made me so happy, so I'm currently watching those.

ChiaBrain
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5568 days ago

402 posts - 512 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*
Studies: Portuguese, Italian, French
Studies: German

Message 43 of 51
17 May 2012 at 6:27am | IP Logged 
Sorry to hear your not feeling well. I hope you feel better soon. I looking forward to
reading more entries in your log.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4769 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 44 of 51
17 May 2012 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
I hope you'll get better soon. :-)

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4384 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 

Message 45 of 51
30 June 2012 at 6:33am | IP Logged 
I got slack while I had exams, so I'm jumping back in. I also had my computer crash at the same time as I was
packing to go see my parents, so I'm jumping back in at the same time that I'm a month from home with my
assimil book and only whatever assimil trcks are on my ipad. Hopefully it's enough lol, though I'm too scared to
check haha.

With my computer I also lost my michel thomas recordings, which is a shame, because as my trip approaches I'd
love to be able to use it. Anyway, I an make do!

On the plane I worked on reading Harry Potter. I had packed my dictionary into my suitcase, so it was a struggle
but I understood a fair bit of what was happening.

Even though it is for 'young adults' and probably more difficult than harry potter, I'm thinking of maybe trying to
get the Pretty Little Liars books in french as they seem quite repetitive in English.

I really wish I hadn't been slack, but I am rather glad that I continued with memrise. I haven't added new words over
the past while, but instead have just continued to maintain. It is better than nothing I suppose.

It's time for me to get serious again!

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4384 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 

Message 46 of 51
01 July 2012 at 7:57am | IP Logged 
okay so getting back into it isn't too bad. I'm goign to start assimil again tonight and i've done some reading over
the past few days and that is pretty good. I'm continuing on the second easy reader and i'm not struggling at all,
even without a dictionary so I definitely think that I haven't lost very much.

I am starting to think that learning french shouldn't be too much of a focus as my trip approaches. We are now
doing a tour, going through a few countries, and will only be in france for a few days. I will only be in italy for a few
days and so on. Perhaps I would be better off learning travel phrases for the different languages and then focusing
on french once I get back.

Regardless, I've enjoyed the french that I have learnt so far so I figure continuing won't be too hard.

I really wanted to be able to pick up lots of native materials, but being on a tour means restricted time. I doubt I
will get a chance to get to a book shop, especialyl as on our 'free day' I will probably be doing whatever my cousin
wants to do. I figure picking up flyers and brochures, even magazines in french will be entirely possible and will do
that where I can.

I may possibly stay in europe for longer than her so I can see relatives, although this is undecided.

Like I said, I'm enjoying learning french and I can't wait until I feel like I understand more!

EDIT:
I've thought from the very first moment I used the app draw something that it would be amazing for language
learning. I got really excited when I found out there was newly added language support so I installed it and created
a new account so I could have my normal games and then games in french. I was really disappointed to find that
language support just meant that they have instructions in other languages. so lame

Edited by dandt on 01 July 2012 at 8:04am

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4769 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 47 of 51
02 July 2012 at 1:32pm | IP Logged 
Great to hear from you again! Enjoy your european experience. :-)

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5292 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 48 of 51
02 July 2012 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
I hope you have a great time in Europe!

Definitely keep your eyes open for cool magazines. You might have to work to read them,
but at least the articles are short and illustrated. And I'm glad to hear that you're
enjoying your French readers.

If you just keep doing a little bit every day, you'll definitely understand a whole lot
of French in 6 months. I'm always amazed at how the days add up, bit by bit, into
something so weighty and substantial.

Bon courage et bon voyage !

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version