Joined 5589 days ago

402 posts - 512 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*
Studies: Portuguese, Italian, French
Studies: German

Message 49 of 51
03 July 2012 at 5:37am | IP Logged 
dandt wrote:

I am starting to think that learning french shouldn't be too much of a focus as my trip approaches.
We are now
doing a tour, going through a few countries, and will only be in france for a few days. I will only
be in italy for a few
days and so on. Perhaps I would be better off learning travel phrases for the different languages
and then focusing
on french once I get back.

I'm in the same boat with you on this. I have several places in Europe I want to visit as well as
Quebec. I've never been outside the USA except English speaking Canada and the Bahamas.

I have several phrasebooks here, though. The Lonely Planet ones seem good but it seems the audio for
the Kindle versions don't work on the Kindle itself or on Android hardware, only on Apple (iPhone,
iTouch, iPad).

I'm looking forward to know how it goes for you.

And its good to see you back.
1 person has voted this message useful

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4405 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 50 of 51
26 July 2012 at 8:54am | IP Logged 
I bought a lonely planet phrase book for $2 (fast talk if anyone is interested) and it arrived today. It's quite small
but is really useful for the size and has a bit of a dictionary in it too. While I'm still going to work on learning french
'properly' I've gone through the book and have annotated it and highlighted the stuff that is going to be super
useful on my trip. I'm also writing in thigns that aren't included, but I'll want.

These sort of things, and questions I might need to ask people (like directions and things to deal with tickets) are
things I'm going to hammer really hard now. Also things to do with my allergies.

I think I'll get the fast talk books for a few other languages (at that price it's worth it) and do the same thing. If not,
I'll make somethign up for myself and print it out. In fact, it's probably a good idea to do that anyway, if for no
other reason than learning. That said, the dictionary is pretty useful because I know I won't take my full size
french-english dictionary.

I figure if I focus on these things now, it'll be easier in the event that I need to ask something. Funnily enough,
there are two 'essentials' sections in the book (one on the cover for easy access) and neither section has 'Parlez
vous anglais', or any derivative.

In terms of my other learning, I ended up neglecting assmil for the time I was away. I had more than enough tapes
on my ipad, but wasn't in the right frame of mind. I'm back into it now and it feels good.

Harry Potter reading is going okay. It's difficult, but I'm getting there. I forgot (again) to take my dictionary on the
plane and was reading it without any reference points (again) and didn't do too badly. Like when I was young and
reading above my level, I can generally work out what is going on based on the words that I do know. I'm also
realising how unfamiliar I am with the first Harry Potter book. Didn't realise how long it had been since I read it!

I'm still enjoying putting sentences together in my head and am beginning to do so out loud. Most aren't important
or relevant to my life at the given time in any way, but I'm still enjoying it. One thing I want to be sure to do when
I'm overseas is to stock up on native materials. I'm going to try and spend as much time in france as possible, but
even if it's only a few days, I can still get newspapers, magazines, flyers and hopefully books.

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4405 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 51 of 51
29 January 2015 at 2:14am | IP Logged 
Long time with no updates.

I never ended up going on the trip, but I've continued to slowly and steadily work on my French. I'm still not
very far, but it was mainly as I didn't have a goal anymore.

Things I have done since:
- reading: not too much as I don't have much time to read at all, but bits and pieces. Lots of reading
messages and replying
- watching: quite a bit of french cinema. Blue is the warmest colour, populaire, and a few others are ones I've
really enjoyed
- vocab: flashcards and Memrise. Not as dedicated as I should be

One major realisation came today when I realised my French is much better than my Italian. I've been around
italian since I was a baby, and speaking and understanding bits and pieces for much of my life. I decided to
pause my French/just maintain for now to work on polishing my Italian as I've learned of some employment
opportunities when I graduate in 18 months. I've never worked on the basics in Italian, and I'm amazed at
how my rudimentary french is so strong when compared to Italian. Obviously I have strength in some different
areas: im better with counting as it was a game I played when younger, I'm amazing at speaking and listening
to food talk, I've watched soap operas for years with family in Italian, and ivd been working on listening my
whole life. But the basics? Wow.

So I suppose this log was already paused as I didn't update it for a long time, but consider my French on hold
indefinitely. I will keep doing ANKI review and Memrise when the reviews come up, and possibly a little
reading here and there, but for now, french is on hiatus.

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version