Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5169 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: Serbian*, EnglishC2, GermanC1, Russian
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 10
03 February 2010 at 2:42am | IP Logged 
I completely agree with it has been said so far. I just have to add few more details.
1) There is a lot of people is Serbia who do not the stress well and they can be usually located by their accent.
2) Since the Serbian/Croatian is relatively small language (22mil) and there is not so many people learning it, native speakers would be very surprised if encountered with somebody learning it. There is no way that they would not understand a wrong stress.
1 person has voted this message useful

Delodephius
Bilingual Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5163 days ago

342 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Serbo-Croatian*, EnglishC1, Czech
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 10 of 10
10 February 2010 at 1:08am | IP Logged 
I have lived my entire life in Serbia and am fluent in Serbian better than most Serbs. And I can tell you that neither me nor anyone I know, whether Serb or not, speaks with the same accent nor knows how to. Where I live there are Serbo-Croatian speakers from all over the territory of former Yugoslavia and they all have their own native accent. But despite this, even before the colonization after WWII and before the refugees from the Civil war, the Yugoslav people got used to tolerating just about any accent and unless you plan on going to college to study Serbian as a major no one will care if you can't get the accents right as they are in the textbook, since most native speakers can't really tell the difference. I think that vowel length is quite enough, you don't have to worry about the pitch. I mean I can't tell the difference and I even tried learning it. To no avail! So don't worry.

Serbs are very happy when they meet someone who wants to learn their language. Hell, they'll try to teach you even if you don't want to learn it! (even I did that to people) :-D

Edited by Delodephius on 10 February 2010 at 1:09am

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version