Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4810 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 17 of 39
16 April 2012 at 6:00am | IP Logged 
Some of my study aids (the French one is my most prized possession...it's my second grade textbook!)

Parallel texts, so to speak...

My Spanish books for the Super Challenge:

The French and Portuguese books I might get to one day. :( The most important one, of course, is the collection of Emily Brontë's French essays that she wrote while studying the language in Belgium, lol.

Edited by espejismo on 16 April 2012 at 12:18pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Tecktight
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
Joined 4735 days ago

227 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian
Studies: German, Russian, Estonian

Message 18 of 39
20 April 2012 at 6:47pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
Ma pühendasin selle pildi Tecktightile. Eesti keel, represent!

It probably would have been just as effective for me to have provided links to each of those books at
Amazon or Apollo.

Yes, "E nagu Eesti" is missing because I currently can't find it even though I was browsing it a couple of days ago
in reference to how your studies were going. Also note the lack of "Colloquial Estonian" (thank God). I got to
know it thanks to my public library and the borrowing period was long enough for me to work through it to see
its flaws and Moseley embarrassing himself and indirectly Estonians with his effort.

You may have alternating fits of ecstasy and jealousy when following
this thread at Unilang. Even though I haven't been
able to find a similar thread on HTLAL with pictures, a few of the posters in Unilang's thread are familiar to me
from here (e.g. E}{pugnator, Formiko, hcholm, johntm, Makrasiroutioun).
Tricoteuse and
Juan (a.k.a. Juan M.)
also have some pretty spiffy shelves as seen at LanguageLearners although the pictures are more about
how their shelves are organized/arranged rather than the linguistic content on them.
v=ZHxlwcCoLWI&feature=plcp&context=C40b362dVDvjVQa1PpcFPDA6Z SuDgrX89IIK9AKVBbf6X97xMBiYg=">Ivers
en's
collection is indeed impressive.

P.S. I'm probably cheating a bit in this picture since I've used those Estonian-Finnish dictionaries (including that
puny one on the far right) mainly when studying Finnish rather than Estonian. All the same I was surprised by the
amount of Finno-Ugric stuff that I came upon in my boxes (thick binders full of printouts of the old goodies from
DLI, FSI and ERIC) and on my shelf while I was sifting for the Estonian books.

Man, I am nuts in addition to being the resident fossil/old fart. :-P

First of all, please forgive me my ridiculously late response.

Kui ilus kollektsioon raamatuid! It brings tears of happiness to my eyes. I like how the dominating colors when
the books are put together are blue, white and black...visually perfect/appropriate for their origins. :)

The Unilang thread did indeed have me drooling. By the way, E nagu Eesti is growing on me. The CD it came with
is really the gem of the package. It features funny little dings and bells that make me think I'm sitting in a train
station in the North somewhere, waiting to enjoy a scenic journey to Tartu, or Pärnu, or somewhere...

Also, in reference to being nuts: we're all mad here!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6915 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 19 of 39
20 April 2012 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
Tecktight wrote:
First of all, please forgive me my ridiculously late response.
Pole viga, Tecktight :-)

Tecktight wrote:
Kui ilus kollektsioon raamatuid! It brings tears of happiness to my eyes. I like how the dominating colors when
the books are put together are blue, white and black...visually perfect/appropriate for their origins. :)

The Unilang thread did indeed have me drooling. By the way, E nagu Eesti is growing on me. The CD it came with
is really the gem of the package. It features funny little dings and bells that make me think I'm sitting in a train
station in the North somewhere, waiting to enjoy a scenic journey to Tartu, or Pärnu, or somewhere...

Also, in reference to being nuts: we're all mad here!
I'm happy to make an Estophile and fellow lingaphile's day. I'm also happy to see that you're warming up to "E nagu Eesti".

Now that I look at my collection and the other pictures so far, I'm starting to get this itch to take another photo of more books. Maybe I'll take one showing some of the stuff that I've been using this year or plan to use in the near future. Or maybe I'll take a photo of language books that are especially dear to me.
1 person has voted this message useful

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5726 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 20 of 39
20 April 2012 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
I'm so glad to see that I'm not the only one who takes pictures of the language bookshelf! I'll have to dig one up from my photo files. I enjoy rearranging them in different languages, categories, and sometimes color schemes. Now I know that I am not the only one.

I also have a photo someplace of my language bookshelf collapse, when I tried to defy the laws of physics by putting more books on the shelf than it could hold. Telling that story is one of my first posts in this forum! It really happened and will probably happen again - I have not learned my lesson.
2 persons have voted this message useful

slymie
Tetraglot
Groupie
China
Joined 4987 days ago

81 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English, Macedonian
Studies: French, Mandarin, Greek
Studies: Shanghainese, Uyghur, Russian

Message 21 of 39
16 November 2013 at 4:22am | IP Logged 
Oh man I would love to share mine. :) I'll do it one cube at a time. First, my Mandarin
Chinese cube.

slymie
Tetraglot
Groupie
China
Joined 4987 days ago

81 posts - 154 votes 

Message 22 of 39
16 November 2013 at 4:27am | IP Logged 
Next, my Russian cube. Mix of mostly Chinese but also English materials. I study new
languages usually in Chinese because 1. I like to use Chinese as much as possible. 2. The
books are much cheaper. :) I have many readers as the only way I seem to make progress in
Russian is just by reading and reading and listening and reading again.

slymie
Tetraglot
Groupie
China
Joined 4987 days ago

81 posts - 154 votes 

Message 23 of 39
16 November 2013 at 4:32am | IP Logged 
Next up is my Shanghainese cube. Yep, there really is quite a lot of material to collect
on Shanghainese when you live in Shanghai and you did your thesis on Shanghainese
loanwords. I just realized I have more books in my living room on Shanghainese I'm
currently reading.

slymie
Tetraglot
Groupie
China
Joined 4987 days ago

81 posts - 154 votes 

Message 24 of 39
16 November 2013 at 4:37am | IP Logged 
This modest collection is for all my Uyghur learning materials. Most of the stuff I
purchased when I was travelling in Xinjiang last summer.

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version