Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5172 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 105 of 336
21 November 2012 at 2:07am | IP Logged 
I had my second italki session last night with the same teacher. We went through some
topics that were definitely more on the intermediate scale (the economy, giving advice).
It was difficult but I struggled through, managed to re-formulate some statements I got
caught up on and the teacher helped me with mistakes and missing vocabulary. I have two
more sessions this week and I still need to book more.

As I'll be done with Pimsleur at the end of the month I need to decide where I want to go
from there. I can either finish up Assimil or tackle FSI. From what I've read FSI will
take me further but I'm a bit discouraged by how long it will take me to get through it.
I could always do both, of course, though I don't want to commit myself to hours of
lessons a day.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 106 of 336
21 November 2012 at 11:03am | IP Logged 
I recommend doing FSI, even if it's just to vary your approach; you can also use the
drills differently than intended, it's a free world :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5172 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 

Message 107 of 336
21 November 2012 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
Good call. I think I may concentrate on FSI and follow Assimil not as intended just in
order to listen to the audio.

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5172 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 

Message 108 of 336
24 November 2012 at 2:45am | IP Logged 
Had a couple more italki sessions. One told me I sounded Italian or that I had learned
Italian beforehand which surprised me. During some moments I felt things flowing pretty
well but certain other topics would bring out a lot of hesitations.

Finished Harry Potter. Now I'll have to decide what to do with my commutes from now on. I
can work with HP audio, re-read from the beginning, start a new book, work on courses,
etc. I think I want to focus on audio to make sure my listening comprehension continues
to improve.

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5172 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 

Message 109 of 336
27 November 2012 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
Almost the end of the month and almost the end of my mini-challenge. I was lazy a
couple of days but I've managed to get back on track so I'll still be done with
Pimsleur III on November 30th. I just hit the 50% mark on the 5000 word Memrise deck
yesterday. I now feel like a slave to the repetitions now: if I don't keep up with them
they'll be overwhelming. And it's frustrating that when I make a tiny typo, mistake an
"a" for an "e" or mix up different versions of the same root word (have seen a lot of
permutations of recent and critic for example) that I'll have that word clogging up the
system again for the next few days.

I have the remainder of my italki sessions scheduled. My work schedule this week
doesn't allow me to schedule them in a logical way but oh well. I'm looking over FSI
Spanish Basic as I think I'll go for it next. Now that I'm done with Harry Potter I'm
listening to the audio book. I'm also copying in chapters to Learning With Texts and
marking up anything that strikes my fancy as something I would like as a clozed Anki
card (verb conjugations, indicative vs subjunctive, vocabulary, whole set phrases,
etc). Once I study more of these I'll go back and listen to the chapter to see how much
better my comprehension got.

I ordered and received the book "Listen 'n Learn Spanish" by Scott and Gaby Thomas.
It's a guide for watching movies with dubbed Spanish tracks. The movies are ordered
according to difficulty (ex: Beginner: The Princess Bride, Adv Beg: Eragon,
Intermediate: Holes, Advanced: The Incredibles) and the book starts off with a list of
core vocabulary and then goes scene by scene in each movie listing other vocabulary. I
had a similar book for French films for a French conversation/film class and there are
similar guides for Spanish movies. But this one was cheap and a good place to start on
my listening comprehension since dubs are generally easier.

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5172 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 

Message 110 of 336
30 November 2012 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
So last day of my mini-challenge to upgrade my Spanish speaking skills. I actually
finished Pimsleur III yesterday though I'll want to go over a couple of the last
lessons. I've done my iTalki sessions though I had to make arrangements to make up two
of them due to weather. In the last one the teacher presented some images to suggest
topics of conversation. This was pretty tough as it meant I had to talk about a variety
of topics. This is definitely an intermediate exercise and in some ways I'm up to snuff
and in others I still need more practice with the basics.

The result of this month's efforts: I can definitely speak now. Before this month my
knowledge was all locked up but now I can manage to think and speak in Spanish even
though I come up against walls here and there. I even managed to help some guests in
Spanish a bit at work (helped by pointing, miming, and some of their limited English
but it's something). I'm thinking in Spanish more and now it's hard to switch over to
French. I'll have to work on practicing switching.

For the next month it seems my project will be listening comprehension. I've fallen
into a "Harry Potter method" without even realizing it. I pasted chapters of Harry
Potter into Learning With Texts so that I can use it to make Anki cards that will test
me on vocabulary, grammar, etc. Well, I found this is an excellent primer for
practicing listening comprehension with the audio book. So I'll spend a week or so on a
chapter - create Anki cards and learn tricky grammar and vocab, listen to the chapter
while reading it in English, listen while reading it in Spanish and listen with no text
at all. I may try shadowing as well (I'm already mouthing the words as I listen on
public transit). I figure this ought to improve my comprehension. I'll also be tracking
down some of the movies in my new book to work on mastering dubbed Spanish.

And let me just say how much I hate the new Memrise. A perfect example of "if it ain't
broke don't fix it" if I ever saw one. I thought I'd be done with the deck in a couple
months but this just really turns me off and I find navigating through all the "levels"
makes learning new vocab and getting it to harvest stage really difficult. Though looks
like I'm not alone in my dislike so hopefully some changes will be made.

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5172 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 

Message 111 of 336
31 December 2012 at 7:48am | IP Logged 
So it's been a while. Got sidetracked at work with some projects - some nefarious and
some not so nefarious - plus I decided that I wanted to do some reading in English.

I have quite a few posts in mind but I just wanted to give a quick update to kick off
the TAC 2013 for now. I'm on team PAX and was invited to be on an Irish team though I'm
waiting to hear back on that one. I made my way through some FSI though I'm working out
a way of splitting up the units to really absorb them now that they're not super easy.
I got some money to look into taking the DALF which looks like will take place some
time in June. Which brings me to an idea I had:

Study Groups

So I have the book/CD Alter Ego 5 which is the only (or one of the only) French
method that claims to work on level C1/C2. Many of the exercises are based on
discussion and writing which is best done in a classroom or with a group. So I wanted
to see if there is anyone who already has the same method or is interested in getting
it who would be interested in forming a study group.

I was also thinking that forming study groups could be a way to revitalize the French-
only board and could offer a different spin to challenges or even the TAC. If there's
any interest I'll try to formalize my proposal a bit.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5313 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 112 of 336
31 December 2012 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
sctroyenne wrote:
So I have the book/CD Alter Ego 5 which is the only (or one of the only) French
method that claims to work on level C1/C2. Many of the exercises are based on
discussion and writing which is best done in a classroom or with a group. So I wanted
to see if there is anyone who already has the same method or is interested in getting
it who would be interested in forming a study group.

You might check with garyb, who recently bought a copy. He and I also bought copies of Grammaire progessive du français - perfectionnement, which was recently recommended by DaraghM. This book supposedly targets levels B2–C2, and has a mix of review material and quite a bit of grammar which I hadn't seen before. You can see the TOC and a few pages here, or using the preview that garyb found. Overall, I like it, but it's probably not very challenging for strong C1 students who've already spent a lot of time on grammar.

sctroyenne wrote:
I was also thinking that forming study groups could be a way to revitalize the French-
only board and could offer a different spin to challenges or even the TAC. If there's
any interest I'll try to formalize my proposal a bit.

I'm of somewhat mixed feelings about the French forums here, but I'm open to proposals. For me, the big challenge is finding the time to write in French, and finding people who can provide high-quality feedback. I can still get good corrections at Lang-8, but it's very much hit or miss these days. Right now, I'm spending most of my time on my passive skills, trying to get my reading (and eventually my listening) into the neighborhood of C1. But I might be up for something different.

Good luck with TAC this year, and with your Spanish!

This discussion contains 336 messages over 42 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version