Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5178 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 169 of 336
24 November 2013 at 6:53am | IP Logged 
Done with the main day of language hunting and pretty wiped out! It started off easy and we seemed to be
moving along pretty swiftly. Then we broke off from the two large groups into smaller groups based on
whether we felt we needed more or less of a challenge and that's where things got interesting. I found that in
the large group the sort of chorus effect made everything seem easy. But in the smaller group each individual
was put much more on the spot and I found myself stumbling on the easy stuff I had just been doing. The
difficulty ramped up progressively as the day wore on and we were all straining to keep going. It'll be
interesting to see tomorrow how/if it all comes together. It's a methodology that really doesn't pull any
punches. "Passive" knowledge just doesn't count and either you can use something in a conversation or not
and it becomes very clear when you cannot (though they teach it). I think the way I use my study materials
will change after I get back.

They passed out game boards for us to take back with us and I picked up a copy of their book which goes
into extreme detail about the method which I'll study and report back on.
3 persons have voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5178 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 

Message 170 of 336
25 November 2013 at 2:47am | IP Logged 
So sitting at the airport after the last session. After last night I figured either I'd remain befuddled and struggle
through the day or everything I did would kind of coalesce after the rest and I'd assimilate everything better.
Well, I'm happy to say that the latter was the case. I felt myself having an easier time with the things that were
difficult the night before and I was able to adapt to new things easier. I credit that to being rested and getting
more accustomed to the structures and the increasing length/complexity of the questions/answers. We made
it through all the questions on the board in all persons (4 rounds for a total of 32 mini games). We didn't make
it to starting past tense or doing the passing notes game but it's easy enough now to see how one would
continue to use the board to work on new language concepts.

I would definitely recommend checking them out if you have the opportunity (they sometimes travel). They're
continuing to develop the method and how they work as an organization and if you participate they definitely
incorporate your experiences and feedback in their process. They're looking for ways to take the game online
but in the meantime they look to their participants to take it back and build their own communities. I'll be
making a more detailed summary once I've had a chance to digest the information in the book and see how
it's impacted my at-home learning. Otherwise, if you happen to be passing through the SF Bay Area let me
know and I can show it to you!
1 person has voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5178 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 

Message 171 of 336
01 December 2013 at 8:39am | IP Logged 
I've been typing up my Language Hunters summary and posting it. It's turning out to be
much longer than I anticipated but it's actually helping me doing the work to
consolidate everything in the interest of learning to apply the method myself.

In the meantime I came across this new Irish YouTube series Ceol agus Ól by Foil Arms
and Hog. It's absolutely hilarious and pretty easy to understand to boot!

Episode 1
Episode 2

Swift
Ireland
Joined 4395 days ago

137 posts - 191 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Russian

Message 172 of 336
02 December 2013 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
That video is hilarious. It perfectly somes up the Irish sense of humour. Difficult to explain but easy to understand once you've lived here.

In any case, I'm glad to see that you're learning the language. I can barely say good morning, but it's still really cool seeing someone who isn't from Ireland taking an interest in it!

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5178 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 

Message 173 of 336
09 December 2013 at 12:08pm | IP Logged 
Nice to see you around again and that you're making good progress with French! You can
probably go through and edit your French language profile again - it probably belongs
in your "speaks" category now.

It's really nice coming across things such as the Ceol agus Ól videos, Aifric, and TG
Lurgan - the language seems so alive in them rather than some stodgy old relic.

I got back to studying my courses again. Up to Lesson 9 in Learning Irish which may
sound quite slow (I was on Lesson 6 before my trip) but these few lessons are quite
dense. I knew before delving into the last set of translation exercises that I ought to
summarize the morphology rules the book had covered up to that point which I did here:

The rules can be so hard to sort out as sometimes the changes are on feminine nouns
only except when they start with a vowel (in which case the masculine noun that starts
with a vowel is changed), sometimes on all nouns except those starting with 'd' or 't'
(though some speakers may slenderize the 'd' or 't' in that case), sometimes on
adjectives following a plural noun that ends in a consonant, then just factor in the
phase of the moon and whether Neptune is in Pisces and you get the picture. Hopefully
it'll all come together.

Before my Language Hunters experience it would have been good enough to get the gist of
the lesson and move on but if I want to follow their philosophy I ought to slow down,
divide the content into chunks that I can "master" one by one. This seems really hard
to do on my own. If any Irish learners who have read up
Language Hunters trip report are interested in trying
either the game itself through Skype or want to try "gamifying" our materials together,
let me know. Learning Irish can especially use some breaking down.

Oh, and it looks like I'll start working on my Irish through iTalki - I'm pretty
excited to see what I can do with a tutor!

[Edited to fix link. Just for some reassurance, there is a problem with posting links
on this forum, right? It's not just me?]

Edited by sctroyenne on 09 December 2013 at 12:28pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5319 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 174 of 336
09 December 2013 at 12:37pm | IP Logged 
sctroyenne wrote:
[Edited to fix link. Just for some reassurance, there is a problem with posting links
on this forum, right? It's not just me?]

It's the combination of dodgy forum software, and Google Chrome, which has a tendency to believe what the forum software says. I have a Google Chrome plugin which fixes the word wrap problem. Contact me via PM or email and I'll send you a copy so you can actually post working links without lots of workarounds.

agantik
Triglot
France
Joined 4422 days ago

217 posts - 335 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Italian
Studies: German, Norwegian

Message 175 of 336
14 December 2013 at 7:43am | IP Logged 
Just dropping by to say hello and good luck with your studies in French (though from what I've read in your
log you're already at an advanced level). If you need my help anyway, I'm here, your humble servant and
proud Godmother to the French team!

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5178 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 

Message 176 of 336
14 December 2013 at 8:56am | IP Logged 
Thanks! I'll probably be going for the DALF by the end of the year so there's definitely
work to do! See you around!

agantik wrote:
Just dropping by to say hello and good luck with your studies in French
(though from what I've read in your
log you're already at an advanced level). If you need my help anyway, I'm here, your
humble servant and
proud Godmother to the French team!

This discussion contains 336 messages over 42 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version