Joined 6696 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 289 of 336
01 August 2014 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
sctroyenne wrote:
As it's my birthday, I'm hoping to get some gift certificates that will allow me to order some Irish language books so I can make SC progress in Irish as well.

Lá-breithe shona duit! ("Happy birthday to you", for those who don't read Irish)
1 person has voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5178 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 290 of 336
01 August 2014 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
sctroyenne wrote:
As it's my birthday, I'm hoping to get some
gift certificates that will allow me to order some Irish language books so I can make SC
progress in Irish as well.

Lá-breithe shona duit! ("Happy birthday to you", for those who don't read Irish)

Go raibh maith agat!

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5178 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 

Message 291 of 336
11 August 2014 at 8:24am | IP Logged 
I had a pretty lazy weekend. I had hoped to get more done but a stressful week at work left me knocked out. I did watch some films, though:

Starbuck: This Québécois film was out in theatres in France the few weeks before I left. I wanted to see it but at that point I was pretty broke. It's a pretty entertaining (though a bit sappy towards the end) mid-life crisis sort of story where a guy who hasn't made much of himself learns that the sperm he donated in his youth has resulted in over 500 offspring. He sets out to see what's become of them and to act as their guardian angel.

Quai d'Orsay (The French Minister): This film is based on the BD series that always caught my eye and is a send up of Dominique de Villepin. Reviews are mixed on this film but I enjoyed it. It doesn't have much of an over-arching plot but rather a series of sketches stitched together (it would have worked well as a short form comedy like Kaamelott, Camera Café, Un gars une fille, etc). And the run time is a bit long considering there's not much of a plot. But I think anyone who has worked in an office can relate to madness. And there is this scene which I found quite funny (would make for a great monologue to practice accent) Stabilo !

Populaire: A sort of parody of 1950s Doris Day films. A Pygmalion-like premise in which an insurer trains his secretary to compete in typing competitions. It has a typical rom-com plot and at almost 2 hours it runs pretty long for a film that isn't very deep. But it's enjoyable.

Les nouveaux chiens de garde: A documentary that explores the often incestuous relations between the French media, politicians, and captains of industry.

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5178 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 

Message 292 of 336
11 August 2014 at 9:12am | IP Logged 
We discussed a bit of Proust in my Alliance Française class. I'm wondering if I should take on A la recherche du temps perdu... To read it in a year would only take on average about 8 pages per day which seems doable.

The AF is going to offer a creative writing class. I was hoping for some kind of writing class, though more academic, but this should be useful.

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5178 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 

Message 293 of 336
24 August 2014 at 9:09am | IP Logged 
It's official! I booked my trip for France for this October. Plus I get a bonus trip to London thanks to a long layover on the trip back! I might check out Foyle's bookstore Radioclare and Rdearman were raving about. I plan on loading up a suitcase with books and DVDs from Paris as well :)

I've been working on the final chapters of Grammaire Progressif du Français - Perfectionnement : Emploi des mots de liaison. I really should have started straight in on these lessons - they're so useful! My advice for tackling this book to clean up your grammar: try the final test and the final chapters on mots de liaison and use that to determine where your weaknesses are and what specific lessons you need to cover.

I've also cleared out my whole backlog from emk's SRS Collector and I'm back to using Anki. It's been working great so far - working on accumulating more vocabulary plus I think the more advanced material is helping me parse more complicated sentences now. I started reading Antimanuel d'économie by Bernard Maris recommended to me by an economics/marketing professor friend and I'm figuring out what would be more complicated sentences. I also started a French vocabulary Tumblr here: Vocab du Jour.

I received all the Irish books I ordered with my gift cards. There's some really great material! I'm working on an Anki deck based on Gabriel Wyner's Fluent Forever advice. Thanks to one of my study group members, we have a downloaded copy of all the audio from http://breis.focloir.ie/en/fuaim/ which is coming in handy and ought to allow us to make all kinds of study tools. I'm hoping to build a "portfolio" of sorts of all the progress I've made and all the materials I've created and shared with other learners for when I apply for a Fulbright Gaeltacht Summer Award. Stay tuned for when I have everything prepared and "published".
4 persons have voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5178 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 

Message 294 of 336
25 August 2014 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
It's la rentrée for all my French shows! I'm very excited. I'll be looking into
reserving a spot to see a taping of Le Petit Journal when I'm in France.

I've been catching some of the vocab words I've been reviewing in Anki lately, which is
very encouraging. I think regular vocabulary study is one of the few activities left at
the advanced level where you can have easily measurable progress which is important for
maintaining motivation.

I'm about halfway through adding audio to my Irish cards and about halfway through
adding images (at least to the cards that I've been able to come up with images for).
I've already thought of a side project: all the words have three recordings
representing the three major dialects. Once in a while I come across a word that's
relatively simple (one or two syllables) where the difference in pronunciation of core
phonemes are isolated and easily-detectable. I've started noting down some of these
words to make a deck that will compare the dialects.

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5178 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 

Message 295 of 336
29 August 2014 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
The first session of the writing class was last night. This is probably just what I
need in order to décomplexer the writing process. It's not an actual class but a
set of individual sessions or ateliers so there is no homework. He specifically
wants us to write off-the-cuff in order to foster spontenaity and collaboration rather
than taking it home and working on it. This forces me to just put words on the page
rather than taking hours/days to write crippled by perfectionism. We tried a few
cadavre exquis (sort of like Madlibs) which turned out really well.

New band suggestion! Really new, actually; Feu! Chatterton. They've only recently been
signed and I believe their first EP is due out sometime soon. I've been hooked on their
demo La Mort dans la Pinède and
now I recently listened to their upcoming EP,
La Malinche. And when I say
lsitening, I mean on repeat all day long. I tried to see if they'll be playing in Paris
while I'm there but they'll be on tour. Maybe I can arrange my side trip plans to see
them live.

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5178 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 

Message 296 of 336
01 September 2014 at 7:27am | IP Logged 
Well, my end of month, holiday weekend study got derailed from the unfortunate news that a good friend of mine was killed in an accident. Her vitality and her ability to acclimate to life in the US and become fluent in English were inspirational.

I completed my Irish Anki deck based on the vocabulary list from the Fluent Forever site. I added all the sound files I could (there weren't entries for all the terms) and replaced English translation with one or multiple images whenever I could find one to unambiguously (I hope) represent a term. If anyone's interested I'll send a copy.

This discussion contains 336 messages over 42 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version