SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6690 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 321 of 336
07 January 2015 at 6:53am | IP Logged 
Will you keep this log for Team Celts 2015?
1 person has voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5172 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 322 of 336
07 January 2015 at 7:03am | IP Logged 
Yes, I was actually hoping to make it rollover to the next page to get a fresh, clear starting point which you have just done :) GRMA!

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5172 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 

Message 323 of 336
07 January 2015 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
May Cabu, cartoonist for Charlie Hebdo and Le Canard enchaîné and the other victims of today's attack rest in peace :(

sctroyenne wrote:
First, a cartoon:

"Choper" (familiar) means to catch a disease. Beyond that word, you would need to be familiar with what has been going on in the news. De Thévenoud is a member of the Assemblée Nationale who was discovered to have gone years without paying, well, much of anything (rent, taxes, etc). He blamed it on his phobie administrative rather than admitting any wrongdoing and refused to resign his seat. The whole French press and political cast of characters vacillated between anger and incredulousness. Some time later, it was revealed (I believe by Le canard enchaîné itself - they often get scoops) that about 60 more délégués have also not been paying their bills. Here, the artist is, I believe, conflating this scandal with general Ebolaphobia/mania for comedic effect.

plumbem!
Groupie
United States
Joined 3414 days ago

44 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 324 of 336
08 January 2015 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
This...is an incredible log. I particularly appreciate the break down of the jeux de mots in
the headlines. Having only browsed a few pages, I wanted to ask two questions.

1. What app are you using to track your time so meticulously?
2. Do you have any advice for getting the most out of your immersion experiences in France? I
arrived here in August and advanced an incredible amount (subjectively anyways!)in my first
three or so months here but feel like I have since sort of plateaud with my skills scattered
around a B2. I will be here another ten weeks and am hoping to push myself a little more,
starting with getting a French keyboard and focusing on writing, the thing I also really
struggle with. Anyways, I will take a deeper look when I have time as these answers may
provide themselves.

My French hosts described the attack in Paris as tantamount to destroying a cathedral. They
are pretty shocked and worried about how the event will be used politically.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4690 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 325 of 336
10 January 2015 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
Hey sctroyenne, welcome to Team Français! I'm sure this will be a good year for us, and I look forward to following your log.

In other news, I noticed I passed you on the Super Challenge table last week. Catch me if you can!

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5257 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 326 of 336
13 January 2015 at 1:35am | IP Logged 
Hi sctroyenne,

A big welcome from me too to Team français ! I have noticed you floating about here and there on HTLAL and
when the latest SC begun I remember reading a fair portion of your log. I just couldn't remember your user
name of late... now I know who you are! Good luck this year! I look fwd to hearing about your advances in
French.

PM

Une tranche de fromage s'il vous plaît, et un hamburger pour emporter...

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5172 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 

Message 327 of 336
13 January 2015 at 2:10am | IP Logged 
plumbem! wrote:
This...is an incredible log. I particularly appreciate the break down
of the jeux de mots in
the headlines. Having only browsed a few pages, I wanted to ask two questions.

1. What app are you using to track your time so meticulously?
2. Do you have any advice for getting the most out of your immersion experiences in
France? I
arrived here in August and advanced an incredible amount (subjectively anyways!)in my
first
three or so months here but feel like I have since sort of plateaud with my skills
scattered
around a B2. I will be here another ten weeks and am hoping to push myself a little
more,
starting with getting a French keyboard and focusing on writing, the thing I also
really
struggle with. Anyways, I will take a deeper look when I have time as these answers may
provide themselves.

My French hosts described the attack in Paris as tantamount to destroying a cathedral.
They
are pretty shocked and worried about how the event will be used politically.

Merci !

1. I've been using ATracker for iOS - I'm pretty happy with what it does and it makes
nice little charts and graphs for me and gives me the raw data if I want to play with
it more.

2. So nice to be in country! You're in a host family? If so you're probably getting a
decent amount of speaking practice but see if you can get more (try onvasortir.com for
meetups and events, you can try dating, etc). Take advantage of some stuff you won't
get out of the country such as plays, television tapings (myclap.tv), the whole range
of French TV, guided tours of sites/walking tours in French. If there are any little
community classes (cooking classes, acting, etc) that are primarily for French people
and not foreign students/tourists those are great too. Otherwise, just enjoy your
surroundings and try to meet a diversity of people which will give you a diversity of
French knowledge and will make your experience that much richer. And start compiling
books, magazines, papers, DVDs, and other materials that would be hard/expensive to get
to send home. Go hunting in the used stores and the markets for great deals. If you get
too much, flat-rate boxes from La Poste aren't that bad cost-wise.
4 persons have voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5172 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 

Message 328 of 336
13 January 2015 at 2:17am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
Hey sctroyenne, welcome to Team Français! I'm sure this will be a
good year for us, and I look forward to following your log.

In other news, I noticed I passed you on the Super Challenge table last week. Catch me
if you can!

PeterMollenburg wrote:
Hi sctroyenne,

A big welcome from me too to Team français ! I have noticed you floating about here and
there on HTLAL and
when the latest SC begun I remember reading a fair portion of your log. I just couldn't
remember your user
name of late... now I know who you are! Good luck this year! I look fwd to hearing
about your advances in
French.

PM

Une tranche de fromage s'il vous plaît, et un hamburger pour emporter...

Merci chefs ! Yup, I've been like the hare taking a nap. Though I'll have a decent-
length book to log shortly :)

Un kebab sauce samouraï pour moi, s'il vous plaît.

This discussion contains 336 messages over 42 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version