Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5172 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 65 of 336
24 August 2012 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
Ah yes - I'm back in the U.S. Have been a little slow and reluctant about changing it.

Oh, and just got called for a second interview. I really like it when they move quickly :-)

Edited by sctroyenne on 24 August 2012 at 8:09pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5172 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 

Message 66 of 336
31 August 2012 at 2:42am | IP Logged 
Went in for my third interview today...and got a call saying I was hired a few hours later! I definitely think languages helped me stand out so I owe part of it to my language study. And in addition to the international staff there seem to be a lot of international guests so I ought to get a lot of opportunity to practice.

I've been making progress through Assimil Espagnol and through Harry Potter. Now that I'll be commuting on public transit I'll have a lot of reading/study time.
1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5176 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 67 of 336
31 August 2012 at 4:24am | IP Logged 

Congrats! That's really awesome! :-)

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5172 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 

Message 68 of 336
31 August 2012 at 5:49am | IP Logged 
Thanks! I was compiling a list of stuff I want to get to enhance my language learning but obviously had to hold out for a paycheck. Thinking of a box so I can watch all my videos and streaming content on TV - then I won't be tempted by Law and Order marathons.

Tsopivo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4252 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Esperanto

Message 69 of 336
31 August 2012 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
Wow, I am really impressed with your level of French and I find it great that some people are interested in our culture enough to go into Le Canard enchaîné, Kaamelott or Les inconnus.

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5172 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 

Message 70 of 336
31 August 2012 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
Thanks! I think being able to enjoy native media is really my main motivation in language learning. And it's nice to discover there's more to French than les philosophes, Proust, Baudelaire, etc. There's some decent "low culture" as well.

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5172 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 

Message 71 of 336
14 September 2012 at 6:26am | IP Logged 
Well, I've started work and I'm on a training schedule meaning I don't have my days
settled yet. For the moment I'm working mornings which is making me pretty tired. So I
haven't been doing much in terms of structured study. What I have been able to do
though is take a lot of time for reading as I have a fairly long commute on public
transportation. I finished reading Harry Potter y La Piedra Folosofal (I had it set up
as a bilingual book) and have moved on to the second book. I find it enjoyable and it's
tempting to just power through the whole series though I have to be careful to strike
some balance and work on other areas and make progress through Assimil (in addition to
getting time for other languages). I also found a telenovela I'm enjoying following:
Por Ella Soy Eva about a guy who has to fake his own death and then dresses in drag to
stage his comeback. I remembered I could put on the closed captioning which helps some
(though it doesn't keep up with the audio). There are a lot of words I'm familiar with
but I'm having trouble linking them together to follow the dialogue without having to
think too much (while keeping up). Though I'm following most of the basics of the story
which I guess is the main first step.

I'm working in the city which puts me in a good position to attend francophone events
and I started consolidating various event calendars in order to do so. I should be able
to start constructing my little French bubble there soon.

Hopefully I'll settle into a schedule and get my energy levels back up so I can get
some structured study time in soon.

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5172 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 

Message 72 of 336
18 September 2012 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
Continuing on with Harry Potter y la cámara secreta and almost halfway through. I'm
also listening a lot to Babasónicos and I'm getting more and more lyrics. We've been
getting a lot of Spanish-speaking guests but I haven't jumped in to try to use Spanish
yet. In some cases I wouldn't have been able to, in other cases I've sort of imagined
what I would say. I'll try to break it out one of these days.

During slow periods I have time to read French news and I take note of new vocabulary.
I can also buy Le Canard Enchaîné at an inflated price down the street.

Here's some vocab that might be used in different ways than you'd be used to:
un pendant: counterpart, mirror image
une sortie: remark (familier)
un passif: a debt, negative sum (un actif: positive sum)
assimiler: to consider (equivalent to)
une conjoncture: situation/circumstances (political, economic)

And ssome other interesting expressions:
jeter/balancer qch aux orties (stinging nettles): to forget all about
être sur le qui-vive: on the alert

Edited by sctroyenne on 18 September 2012 at 6:41pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 336 messages over 42 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version