Triglot
Finland
Joined 4013 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 81 of 86
18 June 2013 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
There are places here where they actually give you an instant raise for some languages. I think Stockmann department store in Helsinki gives you like 5% more per month for every language they approve of on their required level.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 82 of 86
18 June 2013 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
I've heard this too :) I think it applies to the whole chain.
But for me this also means I run into Russian-speaking salespeople too often :P
1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5607 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 83 of 86
24 June 2013 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
When I was applying for jobs, I put all the languages on my CV:

>>> in which I could actively speak and write!

I didn't mention the languages with only passive skills or any A1/A2 - levels.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 24 June 2013 at 8:21pm

Jenne:)
Tetraglot
Netherlands
polyglotquest.wordpr
Joined 4227 days ago

38 posts - 56 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, French
Studies: Norwegian

Message 84 of 86
25 June 2013 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
I do put all my languages on my CV, but I always make sure to specify my level for each one carefully. I have certificates for English and French, which I mention in a separate section called "certificates". Here, I mention which certificate I have obtained and the CEFR level. I think this approach is most trustworthy, as it prevents me from giving wrong impressions (the message this section sends is very straightforward) and it allows an employer to find out more specific information on what the levels mean. With regard to Norwegian and German (for which I have not obtained certificates, yet), I indicate that I have learned them under the heading "other compentencies". Here, I am slightly more vague (e.g. using terms such as intermediate), but I do specify my skills. I never say I can speak German, for instance, as I have not had the opportunity to practice it much. I can read it quite fluently, however, so I do mention this skill. I do not put skills on my CV when I am not sure I would be able to demonstrate them, if asked during an interview.

Edited by Jenne:) on 25 June 2013 at 4:38pm

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4890 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 85 of 86
25 June 2013 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
Jenne:) wrote:
I do put all my languages on my CV, but I always make sure to specify
my level for each one carefully.
Here, I am slightly more vague (e.g. using terms such as intermediate), but I do
specify my skills. I never say I can speak German, for instance, as I have not had the
opportunity to practice it much. I can read it quite fluently, however, so I do mention
this skill. I do not put skills on my CV when I am not sure I would be able to
demonstrate them, if asked during an interview.

It's been a long time since I've actually filled out an employment application, but the
generic forms at least used to have a scale of 1-5 on each competency (reading,
writing, speaking, listening - although "listening" was listed as "understanding" or
something like it). If I needed to, that's probably what I'd slap on the bottom of my
CV, at least for the US.

R.
==

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 86 of 86
14 September 2013 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
My brother applied for a position with Lufthansa in the USA. They flew a group of suitable candidates to Frankfurt for a weekend of interviews in both German and English. The weekend began with a personality test in English. What I found most interesting is that they gave what he said was a nearly identical test at the end of the weekend, but this time it was in German. I think they thought that if you could twist the results of a personality test in your favour in one language, it wouldn't work in two.

Anyway... he got the job and still works for them nearly 20 years later!

This discussion contains 86 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version