Triglot
Argentina
Joined 4492 days ago

19 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: German

Message 1 of 9
10 April 2012 at 7:01am | IP Logged 
Hello people, this is my first post in the forum so I will present myself. I am Mariano
from Argentina and last year I started reading some very interesting posts in this
forum. However, this time I need to ask you a direct question regarding my French
learning strategy.

I am a complete beginner in the world of French (maybe with the sole advantage of
knowing Spanish, another romance language) and I wanted to learn French as fast as
possible.

At first, I started using Assimil Francais with ease, and although I really found it
funny and entertaining, I wanted to complement it with something more strict, with
grammar drills maybe, so I followed some advice from this forum and also started
Grammaire Francaise Debutant and I am doing it along with my beloved Assimil.

As I really want to advance as fast as possible and to have an overall good preparation
for oral, pronounciation, vocabulary knowledge, listening and reading comprehension
skills, I was wondering If it would be worth it to add FSI Basic French to my strategy
of learning,

...maybe doing one lesson of Assimil every day plus alternatively (one day each)
complementing it with one Unit of Grammaire francaise debutant or FSI Basic French,
would be a wise option? What do you think?

In addition, I think it is important to say that I will only have approximately 1h or
1h30m each day to work with the methods although I can also listen to audio tapes on my
MP3 for 1 extra hour each day.

What do you think, is it a waste of time to do both Grammaire francaise debutant book
AND FSI along with Assimil? Can you help me choosing the right combination?

Edited by maromad89 on 10 April 2012 at 7:15am

1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 2 of 9
10 April 2012 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
I think it is a really good combination.

Because 1.I'm not sure how much grammar and to what detail does FSI cover, even though
it could be more than debutant level of the grammar book (which one do you use? there
are more options more or less suiting to your description) 2. FSI is wonderful, but can
be boring. It wouldn't be nice to catch yourself not in a mood to study grammar because
it would mean the FSI

I think with one hour a day or more, this combination will get you far really soon.
Just don't be shy to add more listening (or reading) material as well to keep having
fun, to practice and to see your progress quite easily. :-)

Good luck.
2 persons have voted this message useful

maromad89
Triglot
Argentina
Joined 4492 days ago

19 posts - 22 votes

Message 3 of 9
10 April 2012 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
Thank you very much for your answer Cavesa, the title of the Grammar book I am using
is:

"Grammaire Progressive du Francais, avec 400 exercices - Niveau Débutant" (CLE
International).

With your last paragraph "I think with one hour a day or more..." you mean adding
podcasts, reading newspapers, etc? or maybe something like "French in Action" (which I
also have available)?

After this initial plan, my idea was to continue with "Assimil Using French" and with
the following volumes of "Grammaire Francaise, niveau Intermédiare and then niveau
Avancé" while I continued with FSI French Basic, and after that start with native
material like newspapers, radio, TV news, etc.

Any additional suggestion from you or any other member of the post will be great, thank
you very much!!!

Cavesa wrote:
I think it is a really good combination.

Because 1.I'm not sure how much grammar and to what detail does FSI cover, even though
it could be more than debutant level of the grammar book (which one do you use? there
are more options more or less suiting to your description) 2. FSI is wonderful, but can
be boring. It wouldn't be nice to catch yourself not in a mood to study grammar because
it would mean the FSI

I think with one hour a day or more, this combination will get you far really soon.
Just don't be shy to add more listening (or reading) material as well to keep having
fun, to practice and to see your progress quite easily. :-)

Good luck.

Edited by maromad89 on 10 April 2012 at 6:03pm

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 4 of 9
10 April 2012 at 7:48pm | IP Logged 
That's the grammar I thought you meant. It is a really good one, I have used the
following two volumes. It doesn't cover all the points needed for an advanced learner
but it is near to it. And rich in examples :-)

Podcasts, French in Action, newspapers, graded readers whatever you like. It will help
you prevent burn-out (which is quite a real danger when you get past the exciting
"brand new language" phase and even more importantly, you will learn to use the
language. You will learn to think in it.

Your idea about how to continue sounds very reasonable. I personally like the
Vocabulaire progressif as well and have found it really helpful. And a lot of native
materials is the best thing, of course. A great point to start are BDs (french comic
books). Francophone literature has a great tradition in those and you will surely find
something interesting in this genre (there are classics in BD form, even poetry, there
is sci-fi, horror stories, non-fiction,... nearly whatever you can think of).

maromad89
Triglot
Argentina
Joined 4492 days ago

19 posts - 22 votes

Message 5 of 9
10 April 2012 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
That is very interesting advice for the aim of not getting bored, so I think I will take
it and start combining the methods with the materials you recommend. That was exactly the
kind of answer I was expecting, so I would like to thank you once again, Cavesa! I hope I
can help you with something in the future, of course I am only fluent in English and
Spanish so I fear I cannot be of much help :(.

Edited by maromad89 on 10 April 2012 at 8:28pm

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4720 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 6 of 9
11 April 2012 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
I have been working through Assimil as well, on lesson 57 now, and have been doing one almost every day. Now that I'm on the active phase, I sometimes take a whole day's Assimil time working on the active lesson, rather than working on it for 5 minutes at the end of a passive lesson. I occasionally watch FIA, and I am also working through Phase I of Pimsleur (thanks to my local library). I think I will get myself a copy of the Grammar Progressive as well, to round out my studies.

It might help you to know that the publisher of your Grammaire Progressive is CLE, who also have a lot of reading/listening material available. They have a lot of low vocabulary readers, which can be bought with or without an audio CD. For example, I have Maigret et la jeune morte, which says it has 600 words. I plan to begin tackling books like this one once I have finished the passive wave of Assimil.

The best way to find suitable CLE books is to find them on their website, then order them from Amazon.fr. The section of the catalog I looked through is here.

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5376 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 7 of 9
11 April 2012 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
An alternative series to Grammaire Progressive du Francais is Grammaire en dialogues -
also by CLE - It currently comes in three volumes A1-B1 that cover the same ground as
Grammaire Progressive du Francais to the intermediate volume and has a dialogue and the
answers in the back (Grammaire Progressive du Francais requires you to buy a separate
answer book).

Both are excellent, however.

maromad89
Triglot
Argentina
Joined 4492 days ago

19 posts - 22 votes

Message 8 of 9
11 April 2012 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
Thank you very much for your suggestions Flexi and Jeffers. I am going to take a look at
the additional books you are recommending me, to see If they can add a new approach to
the way I am tackling French.

I wonder If anyone is using the same combination (FSI+Assimil+Grammar Book) in parallel
and to which success...

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version