Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The Super challenge!

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
713 messages over 90 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 ... 89 90 Next >>
dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4411 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 121 of 713
15 April 2012 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
zomg songlines you're like my saviour! I would never have thought to look at other international sites... just
assumed delivery was pricey with all of them!!!!
1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5343 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 122 of 713
15 April 2012 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
An ambitious and exciting plan, Cristina - you can count me in too! I can't promise to get through anywhere close to 100 books over the next 20 months (even in my own native language) but I'll certainly give the film goal a good shot. I've already ploughed through at least 76 hours of films and tv this year in Russian (can I already add this to the running total or do we only start counting from May 1st?).

Gatsby42
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4428 days ago

55 posts - 72 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 123 of 713
15 April 2012 at 7:13pm | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
An ambitious and exciting plan, Cristina - you can count me in too! I
can't promise to get through anywhere close to 100 books over the next 20 months (even
in my own native language)

Yeah, I was gonna say that the whole 100 books thing seems crazy outlandish. I'd
consider myself a more active reader than the vast majority of people my age and even I
could probably only do 50-60 within twenty months. If I only read Spanish books from
now until next December I'd probably get like 5 or 6 done max.

I'm somewhat interested in the video requirement, though I'd really need to do a lot of
homework to even find that many Spanish films worth watching.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6407 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 124 of 713
15 April 2012 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
Gatsby42 wrote:
Teango wrote:
can't promise to get through anywhere close to 100 books over the next 20 months (even

Yeah, I was gonna say that the whole 100 books thing seems crazy outlandish. I'd
consider myself a more active reader than the vast majority of people my age and even I
could probably only do 50-60 within twenty months. If I only read Spanish books from

I'm somewhat interested in the video requirement, though I'd really need to do a lot of

I agree. That's an average of 5 books per month or slightly more than one book a week. That would be hard in English or Norwegian and pretty much impossible in Japanese, but I'm going to give it a go anyway.

The movie part shouldn't be too hard though. It's easy to watch a movie or two every weekend.

Maybe next time we can start on 1 January and have two whole years instead of twenty months. It'd still be hard though.

camdo2
United States
Joined 4462 days ago

26 posts - 32 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 125 of 713
15 April 2012 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
Gatsby42 wrote:
Teango wrote:

I agree. That's an average of 5 books per month or slightly more than one book a week. That would be hard in English or Norwegian and pretty much impossible in Japanese, but I'm going to give it a go anyway.

The movie part shouldn't be too hard though. It's easy to watch a movie or two every weekend.

Maybe next time we can start on 1 January and have two whole years instead of twenty months. It'd still be hard though.

Assuming you're doing Japanese, the amount of manga out there is really huge. It's at a much simpler level (basing off of the English and Spanish translations I read) and it should be MUCH easier than reading full on literature.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4796 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 126 of 713
15 April 2012 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
I'd like to be in but still unsure which language to choose.

Spanish-easier choice, access to cervantes library, already have passive skills at low B1

German-I have barely scratched the surface here, but once I dive in, there is the Goethe
Institut library

Swedish- I want to get back to this so much and I'd love it the most for the challenge
but there is no big swedish library around here. I could read the books in bookshelves in
IKEA. And hopefully find some films in swedish at the internet but the only scandinavian
library around here is quite poor.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5121 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 127 of 713
16 April 2012 at 12:20am | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
An ambitious and exciting plan, Cristina - you can count me in too! I can't promise to get
through anywhere close to 100 books over the next 20 months (even in my own native language) but I'll
certainly give the film goal a good shot. I've already ploughed through at least 76 hours of films and tv this
year in Russian (can I already add this to the running total or do we only start counting from May
1st?).

We only start counting on May 1st :-). I do not know whether I will make it either, but I figure that I will have
lost absolutely nothing trying. I know that I am competitive enough to want to do as much as possible. If I
reach my goal, I'll be overjoyed - and if I do not quite reach it then I will still have read and seen more than
I would have done without the challenge. Either way I win:-)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4584 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 128 of 713
16 April 2012 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
I'm in for Japanese. It's an awesome opportunity to jump start my reading and listening
skills in it, thanks a ton Christina. I really was debating Russian, and even though I
won't use it for the Super Challenge, it's still in for TAC 2012, and my original goals
still hold, not to mention L-Ring it.

I was just shopping for Japanese books and manga to add to my existing collection before
stumbling upon this thread. That and collecting films, TV, and podcasts should have me
covered.I'm all fired up and ready to go come May 1st. Can't wait!

I agree that even if the goals are huge, the rewards simultaneously are, too. And we win
whether we make it or not. So let's do our best!

This discussion contains 713 messages over 90 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version