Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The Super challenge!

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
713 messages over 90 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 29 ... 89 90 Next >>
Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4690 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 225 of 713
23 April 2012 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
Hi Solfrid, you left off my 1/2 challenge in Hindi from the list in the registration log.

Also, I was thinking it would be helpful to put a link to the registration log at the end of your first post on this log, for people who haven't been following the thread.
1 person has voted this message useful

PillowRock
Groupie
United States
Joined 4515 days ago

87 posts - 151 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 226 of 713
23 April 2012 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
hjordis wrote:
and it shouldn't be too difficult to find movies dubbed in French at the library, which is walking distance from my house. They seem to have some in Japanese too.

I expect that you'll find that you can choose French and Japanese movies if you prefer them to movies that have had a dub track added to a DVD. Those two languages happen to be two of the best represented "foreign languages" in the American DVD market. Not coincidentally, France and Japan have historically had two of the best (and most prolific) movie industries in the world, so there are a lot of movies available that are *very* good (on the level of "classics of world cinema"). Due to my cinephile side, those are probably the only two languages (other than my native English) in which I have over 50 movies in my home already (smaller numbers of movies in a bunch of other languages).

Of course, for language learning purposes I know that there can be a fair amount of value in watching a dub of a movie that you already know.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6401 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 227 of 713
23 April 2012 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
fiziwig wrote:
This is strictly unofficial, but...

I've added for myself a personal challenge in addition to the Super Challenge: To write 100 brief stories or essays on any subject (100 to 200 words each. Somewhere around 1 notebook page handwritten.) and have them corrected on Lang-8. (And, for the sake of fairness, to correct at least that many English postings by other Lang-8 users.)

That's not a whole lot of writing, of course, so it's not a particularly "super" challenge, but writing in my TL is something I really should be doing, and I haven't done very much at all up till now.

I'm doing the same thing! I've already set up a lang-8 account and have started correcting others since I think one should try to correct as many as one writes.

I think we should have a name for this kind of challenge too, since there is already both a Super Challenge and a Super Duper Challenge, but I don't know what we'd call it.

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5763 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 228 of 713
23 April 2012 at 10:10pm | IP Logged 
I think the 100 brief stories/essays idea is a great one that would complement the other activities of the challenge very nicely indeed so I am giving it a go too!

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4967 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 229 of 713
24 April 2012 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
I wasn't registered for my 1/2 SD in French. This is most likely because I filled out separate forms for both my languages, but put them in the same post.

PillowRock wrote:
hjordis wrote:
and it shouldn't be too difficult to find movies dubbed in French at the library, which is walking distance from my house. They seem to have some in Japanese too.

I expect that you'll find that you can choose French and Japanese movies if you prefer them to movies that have had a dub track added to a DVD. Those two languages happen to be two of the best represented "foreign languages" in the American DVD market. Not coincidentally, France and Japan have historically had two of the best (and most prolific) movie industries in the world, so there are a lot of movies available that are *very* good (on the level of "classics of world cinema"). Due to my cinephile side, those are probably the only two languages (other than my native English) in which I have over 50 movies in my home already (smaller numbers of movies in a bunch of other languages).

Of course, for language learning purposes I know that there can be a fair amount of value in watching a dub of a movie that you already know.
Oh certainly. They at least have some ghibli, but I haven't taken a close look. And there are some pixar films I'm planning to watch in French since I haven't seen them and they're hopefully easier to follow, but I'm definitely hoping to find some original movies in French too. I'm just not sure what all is available to me yet.

I think I'll log my writing too, but whether I make it official as part of the challenge I'm not sure.

Edited by hjordis on 24 April 2012 at 10:13pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 230 of 713
24 April 2012 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
Hi Solfrid, you left off my 1/2 challenge in Hindi from the list in the registration log.

Also, I was thinking it would be helpful to put a link to the registration log at the end of your first post on this log, for people who haven't been following the thread.

I will amend that as soon as I can! As for your other idea it is briliant, but unfortunately the system will not allow me to edit the first post anymore :-(

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 24 April 2012 at 10:25pm

surrealix
Diglot
Groupie
New Zealand
languagechallenge.su
Joined 4385 days ago

66 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 231 of 713
24 April 2012 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
The Super Challenge sounds like a wonderful and fun (and crazy) idea, which coincided
perfectly with my own plans to continue studying Swedish.

I've been reading this forum for over two years, just quitely lurking in the
background. This thread is the first that's drawn me to comment! In particular, the
discussion about a twitter-bot got me thinking ...

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Someone asked if we would use a Twitter bot for this
challenge, but unless someone comes forward and offers to set it up we will not.

I'm not particularly enthusiastic about twitter, but I think the idea of some kind of
tracking/participation boards would be really neat. I've done a couple of 6WCs, and
enjoyed how well that system works - seeing the other participants and all the updates
gave me the impetus to keep studying. While Cristina's registration thread is a good
alternative, it also seems like a lot of manual work that could be used as study time
instead.

So I broke out my laptop, read the twitter API cover-to-cover, and got a basic super-
challenge-twitter-bot up and running. For those of you who were interested in a
twitter-bot, you can now check it out at:

Super Challenge TwitterBot
http://www.languagechallenge.surrealix
.com/
. (don't forget to remove the spaces the forum software puts in)

If there's enough interest, I'll keep developing it and make sure it's fully functional
before the kick-off next week.

Note that this is still the first version; it's not following all the rules correctly;
and I'm sure it's possible to break it, somehow. But if you have ideas, suggestions, or
run into bugs, I'd love to hear. For those people without twitter accounts, or those
already posting in their logs/blogs, it might be possible to automatically gather the
info from other sources so that you don't have to update everything multiple times in
multiple places. I'd also be interested to hear thoughts on that.

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
dandt wrote:
I have no idea how to make a twitter bot, but
I think that'd be a lot easier for you.
I am told that setting up the 6WC bot
took 50 hours - and even if I had had the know how I think I would have preferred to
spend that time on studying :-)

It took me around 22 hours to get this first version up and running. It'll be
interesting to compare that with the 6WC bot - I dare say in the long run it's going to
take the same amount of time to get this bot running with similar features. Hmm - does
it count as 50 hours of language study if I write the code comments in Swedish?

Edited by surrealix on 24 April 2012 at 11:18pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4469 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 232 of 713
24 April 2012 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
I'm getting anxious awaiting the release of the German and French HP eBooks, and also not knowing which of the less popular languages will be available in the US eventually. Amazingly, until recently when I started hunting down used copies in Dutch, the only non-English volume I had was the Irish one, which I can't even read.

Well, how about that, less than a day after posting this, they were released! Now I can be concerned about the fact that Pottermore no longer claims that "many other languages are coming soon," but in the meantime, I'm off to the races looking up vocabulary for Harry Potter in French with my integrated e-reader dictionary. Yay!

This discussion contains 713 messages over 90 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version