Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The Super challenge!

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
713 messages over 90 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 30 ... 89 90 Next >>
Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 233 of 713
24 April 2012 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
surrealix wrote:
The Super Challenge sounds like a wonderful and fun (and crazy) idea, which coincided
perfectly with my own plans to continue studying Swedish.

I've been reading this forum for over two years, just quitely lurking in the
background. This thread is the first that's drawn me to comment! In particular, the
discussion about a twitter-bot got me thinking ...

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Someone asked if we would use a Twitter bot for this
challenge, but unless someone comes forward and offers to set it up we will not.

I'm not particularly enthusiastic about twitter, but I think the idea of some kind of
tracking/participation boards would be really neat. I've done a couple of 6WCs, and
enjoyed how well that system works - seeing the other participants and all the updates
gave me the impetus to keep studying. While Cristina's registration thread is a good
alternative, it also seems like a lot of manual work that could be used as study time
instead.

So I broke out my laptop, read the twitter API cover-to-cover, and got a basic super-
challenge-twitter-bot up and running. For those of you who were interested in a
twitter-bot, you can now check it out at:

Super Challenge TwitterBot
http://www.languagechallenge.surrealix
.com/
. (don't forget to remove the spaces the forum software puts in)

If there's enough interest, I'll keep developing it and make sure it's fully functional
before the kick-off next week.

Note that this is still the first version; it's not following all the rules correctly;
and I'm sure it's possible to break it, somehow. But if you have ideas, suggestions, or
run into bugs, I'd love to hear. For those people without twitter accounts, or those
already posting in their logs/blogs, it might be possible to automatically gather the
info from other sources so that you don't have to update everything multiple times in
multiple places. I'd also be interested to hear thoughts on that.

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
dandt wrote:
I have no idea how to make a twitter bot, but
I think that'd be a lot easier for you.
I am told that setting up the 6WC bot
took 50 hours - and even if I had had the know how I think I would have preferred to
spend that time on studying :-)

It took me around 22 hours to get this first version up and running. It'll be
interesting to compare that with the 6WC bot - I dare say in the long run it's going to
take the same amount of time to get this bot running with similar features. Hmm - does
it count as 50 hours of language study if I write the code comments in Swedish?

Have I mentioned that I love you already :-)?

I have registred, posted a film, and got an answer within seconds. I may have been extremly lucky, but that was not the 20 minutes I was prepared for.

May I suggest that as many as possible of you try it out, so that we can see if it works as good for everyone else? It would be fantastic to have this tool!

@Surrealix: Would it still be possible to register later for those who want an additional Super challenge in say August next year? Not that I actually think I can do more that one challenge, but just in case?

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 24 April 2012 at 11:44pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 234 of 713
24 April 2012 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
hjordis wrote:
I wasn't registered for my 1/2 SD in French. This is most likely because I filled out separate forms for both my languages, but put them in the same post.

Fixed!

surrealix
Diglot
Groupie
New Zealand
languagechallenge.su
Joined 4386 days ago

66 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 235 of 713
24 April 2012 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Have I mentioned that I love you already :-)?

Wonderful to hear it worked :).

I see it didn't pick up your language correctly (it was missing the hash-tag), so I'll
see what I can do about that. The rapid update wasn't just luck either - because I'm
still developing, tweaking and testing, it's currently updating every couple of minutes.

It should be fairly straight-forward to add additional challenges in the future, and/or
keep the registration open. I'll certainly keep that in mind now when I'm figuring out
how everything fits together.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 236 of 713
25 April 2012 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
IIIk. Now the link doesn't work, and when I try to copy and paste it doesn't work either. Could whichever moderator deactivated the link activate it again? Pretty please! I'll eat my vegetables and be a good girl for the rest of the year!

Edit: It seems to work when I click on the one which is me quoting you. I do hope that will not be deactivated as well!

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 25 April 2012 at 12:17am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 237 of 713
25 April 2012 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
I think you gotta ask a mod for that... after a certain amount of time posts get uneditable, other than in the log.

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4968 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 238 of 713
25 April 2012 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
I think I broke it. I tried registering for two languages to see if that worked(it did), and then I tried to update for a film of 4 hours to see if you did the same thing as the books where it would count as 2 films. I also tried out the name in quotes. That was 8 minutes ago, so if it's updating every 2 minutes then it hasn't picked it up.

Also, you'll need to add a conversation tag for the super duper challenge at some point.(not necessarily now, but in case you forgot)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 239 of 713
25 April 2012 at 1:14am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I think you gotta ask a mod for that... after a certain amount of time posts get uneditable, other than in the log.
lol that was about editing the first post of this thread... so much epicness in between!!! yay bot!!!
Can you add Portuguese please? edit: and Polish <3

Edited by Serpent on 25 April 2012 at 1:15am

surrealix
Diglot
Groupie
New Zealand
languagechallenge.su
Joined 4386 days ago

66 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 240 of 713
25 April 2012 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
Rebecca - Ah yes, you're correct, sorry about that! It should be fixed now, feel free to
try again.

Marina - Portuguese and Polish are added!

Next up : Making sure it recognises full language names, and not just the shortened
versions!

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 713 messages over 90 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version