Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The Super challenge!

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
713 messages over 90 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 47 ... 89 90 Next >>
Moniker
Australia
Joined 4384 days ago

14 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, FrenchB1

Message 369 of 713
01 May 2012 at 9:53am | IP Logged 
Tamise wrote:
I wonder how many of us are going to read/watch Harry Potter at some point! I have the
first five films in Japanese and will be watching them - my main problem is that I love Alan Rickman's voice so
much that it's difficult to watch it when it's not him. Still, the Japanese voice actor sounds pretty good too.

The full Harry Potter series (books, films, audiobooks) was one of the first things that sprung to mind when I
heard about this challenge. If French Snape's voice isn't wonderful I'm going to be kind of disappointed...
1 person has voted this message useful

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5001 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 370 of 713
01 May 2012 at 10:47am | IP Logged 
First film': Crustacés et coquillages (Cockles and Muscles in English - the pun was intended!). Almost a French farce.   I read the reviews in French too.

It was broadcast with subtitles and I am not sure I can turn them off!

I was surprised, nay shocked, when I checked how much non-English TV I have recorded.

Einarr
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
einarrslanguagelog.w
Joined 4395 days ago

118 posts - 269 votes 
Speaks: English, Bulgarian*, French, Russian
Studies: Swedish

Message 371 of 713
01 May 2012 at 10:49am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Kartof wrote:
Could I do this challenge for my native language of Bulgarian? I'm definitely fluent and I know that this challenge is
for people who want to bring their language skills up to an intermediate level, but I've long been neglecting my
reading ability in the language and I haven't really read anything substantial in Bulgarian ever as English language
materials are substantially easier to find and gain access to. To top it off, I've been fully educated in the United
States and so the practice with literature that native speakers would normally receive in their language is absent
with me in Bulgarian. I'm hoping that this may give me the push to *gasp* cut down my wanderlust and focus on
what I've been letting fester for far too long. Tell me what you think; can I do this or am I ruining the spirit of the
super challenge? If you want I can ramp up the challenge to say 200 books instead of 100 books and 100 movies.

This challenge is for those of us who can barely read their languages, so you would not really qualify. Tell you what, you start noting down what you read and which films you see, and I'll see if I can come up with something. Just give me few days to think about it.

What comes in mind instantly is a parallel Super challenge, but this one can be for people who are at, let's say, level B2 which should be something like intermediate to upper intermediate, and these participants' goal should be reaching advanced to proficient knowledge of the language of their choice. Yet, I think that the amount of books movies might be increased to 150 due to the fact that these people will supposedly have broader knowledge of the language to start with. Besides they should be able to form a broader knowledge of the language in order to gain decent proficiency level. I now even think that it would be rather nice if amongst these additional 50 books and 50 movies there are documentaries included, as well as classical/technical/nature etc. related books included as well, in order to, I'll mention that again, broaden learners' knowledge into the depths of their language of choice.

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5001 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 372 of 713
01 May 2012 at 11:18am | IP Logged 
Einarr wrote:
What comes in mind instantly is a parallel Super challenge, but this one can be for people who are at, let's say, level B2 which should be something like intermediate to upper intermediate, and these participants' goal should be reaching advanced to proficient knowledge of the language of their choice. Yet, I think that the amount of books movies might be increased to 150 due to the fact that these people will supposedly have broader knowledge of the language to start with. Besides they should be able to form a broader knowledge of the language in order to gain decent proficiency level. I now even think that it would be rather nice if amongst these additional 50 books and 50 movies there are documentaries included, as well as classical/technical/nature etc. related books included as well, in order to, I'll mention that again, broaden learners' knowledge into the depths of their language of choice.

I like the idea of a super challenge for B2 up! I noted in an earlier post that I'd be doing the same challenge for my main L2 (Spanish). It would also work for a native if it gave exposure to a wider range of materials.   

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6402 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 373 of 713
01 May 2012 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
Tamise wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:
How lucky you are to have the films! How did you manage that? I would've liked to order them and others from Japan, but they usually aren't very cheap to begin with and by the time you add 25% VAT at import, it is pretty ridiculous. There's no VAT on books, so they're OK though.

I got them from Amazon.co.jp when they were all offer at various points, so Y1000 or so each. We don't always get hit with the VAT in the UK - if your parcel is low value you don't have to pay import duty and sometimes get away with the VAT too, especially if a lot of the parcel is books, which aren't liable for VAT here either. The main problem with Amazon is the huge shipping costs, so I've moved to bk1.jp for books and will probably try to get Japanese films from Amazon.co.uk for most of the challenge.

If you'd like to watch them, I could probably lend them to you at some point. If you're interested, let me know, and I'll give you a shout when I've finished watching them (probably by the end of next month).

That's ok. I don't need to borrow them. I think I can find a few Japanese movies at a Norwegian online store. I suppose it's better if it's the original language anyway. I always get distracted by the difference in want people's lips are saying and the actual sound being different anyway. It would have been fun though to have Harry Potter and Star Trek in Japanese though.

We also have a lower limit where you can get away with not paying VAT, but I don't think it's been raised since the 80's, so it is ridiculously low and it's not easy to buy things so cheaply as to come under the limit.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 374 of 713
01 May 2012 at 12:01pm | IP Logged 
Einarr wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Kartof wrote:
Could I do this challenge for my native language of Bulgarian? I'm definitely fluent and I know that this challenge is
for people who want to bring their language skills up to an intermediate level, but I've long been neglecting my
reading ability in the language and I haven't really read anything substantial in Bulgarian ever as English language
materials are substantially easier to find and gain access to. To top it off, I've been fully educated in the United
States and so the practice with literature that native speakers would normally receive in their language is absent
with me in Bulgarian. I'm hoping that this may give me the push to *gasp* cut down my wanderlust and focus on
what I've been letting fester for far too long. Tell me what you think; can I do this or am I ruining the spirit of the
super challenge? If you want I can ramp up the challenge to say 200 books instead of 100 books and 100 movies.

This challenge is for those of us who can barely read their languages, so you would not really qualify. Tell you what, you start noting down what you read and which films you see, and I'll see if I can come up with something. Just give me few days to think about it.

I am thinking more in the lines of doubling or tripling the amounts,since they would be a lot more advanced but like I said, I need a few days to think that through and see how that can be done practically. We can't use the same bot, I cannot possibly ask surrealix to do a new one with another 50 hours work, but I suppose I could open a new thread for those who want to do a challenge for languages in which they are more advanced.

surrealix
Diglot
Groupie
New Zealand
languagechallenge.su
Joined 4386 days ago

66 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 375 of 713
01 May 2012 at 1:40pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I am thinking more in the lines of doubling or tripling the
amounts,since they would be a lot more advanced but like I said, I need a few days to
think that through and see how that can be done practically. We can't use the same bot,
I cannot possibly ask surrealix to do a new one with another 50 hours work, but I
suppose I could open a new thread for those who want to do a challenge for languages in
which they are more advanced.

I guess this is the point where I chime in. Because the features needed for another
type of challenge are already in the bot (recording books, movies, etc), it's the work
of a moment to add a new category with different targets. If you come up with a name
for the challenge, and target numbers for books, films, conversations and writings (or
even multiple variations, as with the half/duper challenges), then it'll take me less
than 10 minutes to add it once I'm back in range of a computer.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 376 of 713
01 May 2012 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
You are on!

See here:

Advanced Super Challenge B2 C2

This discussion contains 713 messages over 90 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version