Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The Super challenge!

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
713 messages over 90 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 67 ... 89 90 Next >>
surrealix
Diglot
Groupie
New Zealand
languagechallenge.su
Joined 4364 days ago

66 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 529 of 713
04 June 2012 at 10:45am | IP Logged 
RMM wrote:
I have a request. In the “Super challenge total info reference” thread
sticky, these are listed as options:

- A Half Super Duper Challenge (50 books, 50 films or 100 books or 100 films + 100 30
minute conversations or 100 essays)
- A Half Super Duper Mega Challenge (50 books, 50 films or 100 books or 100 films + 100
30 minute conversations and 100 essays)

These aren't however listed as options on Twitter, but I think it would be great if
they would be.

Ah, it looks like I completely overlooked those two options. (It feels like we've got
so many options already we may as well have just let people choose their own goal
numbers. Maybe there's demand for a sort of permanent twitter-log-tracker that lets
each user specify everything to their own satisfaction - less a competition and more a
micro-blog. But this is getting sidetracked ...).

I'll add those two options with the next update - but it may not be for a few weeks
because I'm busy moving halfway across the world.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 530 of 713
04 June 2012 at 1:10pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin asked us to make comments about how things are going one month in. I am making good progress on my half challenge in French, not quite so good in Hindi. My French comprehension is improving noticeably: most naturally spoken French no longer sounds like a smear of random sounds.

If I were to do one thing different, it would be to add music as part of the challenge. I had thought of this when the challenge was first proposed, but I didn't want to add anything. Then people began to add writing and conversation, but I still held off. But, no longer! I use music a lot when I am learning a language, so I have decided to add albums to my personal half challenges. Of course, listening to 50 or 100 albums in 20 months is easy for most of us. But the twist I am adding is that I am not going to count repeats! So I will have to listen to 50 different albums in Hindi, and 50 different albums in French over the next 19 months. I probably have nearly 50 albums in Hindi, but I only have 8 in French, so that will be quite a challenge.

I plan on listing it on my updates page. If others want to join me in adding this enjoyable element to their challenge, please do so.

Surrealix, if there is interest in doing this, it would be nice if you could add this to the bot. But if there is no interest in adding music, or if you just don't have the time, don't worry about it. You have done so much already!

EDIT: fixed italics.

Edited by Jeffers on 04 June 2012 at 1:14pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5155 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 531 of 713
04 June 2012 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:

If I were to do one thing different, it would be to add music as part of the challenge. I had thought of this when the challenge was first proposed, but I didn't want to add anything. Then people began to add writing and conversation, but I still held off. But, no longer! I use music a lot when I am learning a language, so I have decided to add albums to my personal half challenges. Of course, listening to 50 or 100 albums in 20 months is easy for most of us. But the twist I am adding is that I am not going to count repeats!

I plan on listing it on my updates page. If others want to join me in adding this enjoyable element to their challenge, please do so.

Surrealix, if there is interest in doing this, it would be nice if you could add this to the bot. But if there is no interest in adding music, or if you just don't have the time, don't worry about it. You have done so much already!

I really like that idea. I use music a lot to learn as well - it's very effective. Even if it's not officially added, I think I'll add it to my justpaste.it list. :D

Edited by Kerrie on 04 June 2012 at 1:16pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6380 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 532 of 713
04 June 2012 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
I just noticed that even though I put quotes around my titles, Twitter didn't register the titles of either my book or my movies.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 04 June 2012 at 4:14pm

surrealix
Diglot
Groupie
New Zealand
languagechallenge.su
Joined 4364 days ago

66 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 533 of 713
04 June 2012 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
Surrealix, if there is interest in doing this, it would be nice if you could add this to the bot. But if there is no
interest in adding music, or if you just don't have the time, don't worry about it. You have done so much already!

Wouldn't music albums count as audio input? Perhaps the 'Film' title is misleading, but really it's a category for listening - the
tags #audio, #radio, etc go into this category too. My preferred solution would be to add a #album or #cd tag to this list, and maybe
change the category title to 'Film/Audio'. This is similar to how we've treated the differences in Books/Poems/Anime/etc up to this
point.

Brun Ugle wrote:
I just noticed that even though I put quotes around my titles, Twitter didn't register the titles of either my book
or my movies.

That's good spotting - it's working for nearly everybody else! I'll get that fixed for you along with the next update. It turns out
whatever you're using to write tweets is turning the plain quotation marks ( " ) into 'smart' citation marks ( “ and ” ). Notice the
subtle difference? (I didn't when writing the bot). Until the next patch comes through, you can get your titles included by copy-pasting
the plain quotation mark into your tweets instead of the smart-marks.

Edited by surrealix on 04 June 2012 at 4:44pm

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4979 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 534 of 713
04 June 2012 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
surrealix wrote:
RMM wrote:
I have a request. In the “Super challenge total info reference” thread
sticky, these are listed as options:

- A Half Super Duper Challenge (50 books, 50 films or 100 books or 100 films + 100 30
minute conversations or 100 essays)
- A Half Super Duper Mega Challenge (50 books, 50 films or 100 books or 100 films + 100
30 minute conversations and 100 essays)

These aren't however listed as options on Twitter, but I think it would be great if
they would be.

Ah, it looks like I completely overlooked those two options. (It feels like we've got
so many options already we may as well have just let people choose their own goal
numbers. Maybe there's demand for a sort of permanent twitter-log-tracker that lets
each user specify everything to their own satisfaction - less a competition and more a
micro-blog. But this is getting sidetracked ...).

I'll add those two options with the next update - but it may not be for a few weeks
because I'm busy moving halfway across the world.

It would be really good if we could have all the challenges in one place and our own personal objectives in the same framework.

Edited by maydayayday on 04 June 2012 at 6:19pm

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 535 of 713
04 June 2012 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
surrealix wrote:
Wouldn't music albums count as audio input? Perhaps the 'Film' title is misleading, but really it's a category for listening - the
tags #audio, #radio, etc go into this category too. My preferred solution would be to add a #album or #cd tag to this list, and maybe change the category title to 'Film/Audio'. This is similar to how we've treated the differences in Books/Poems/Anime/etc up to this point.

The Film title isn't really misleading, it is supposed to be about films. It's just that audio has been allowed to count because it's not always possible for people to find 100 films in their target language. But the kind of language input you get from music is quite different to the kind you get from films or spoken audio.

Personally, I don't count audio as film for several reasons. First of all, I think the visual elements of language you learn from watching films is important, especially if you don't get to interact with live native speakers. The body language, the gestures, the motions of the mouth. In addition, I think watching well-known films give an important cultural education. The fact that I've watched the Hindi film Sholay several times means I understand references constantly made to its dialogues on the street. Similarly, music gives another kind of cultural education.

I think if we were starting all over again, it would make the most sense to have 5 categories anyway: reading, writing, listening, speaking and watching. However, as I said, I'll just list the albums I listen to on the update thread, as an informal addition (a bit of dessert on the side) to the main course!
2 persons have voted this message useful

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4979 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 536 of 713
04 June 2012 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 

I suggest that SolfridChristin, and the way Sureallix has interpeted the intent) set the challenge to allow us to challenge ourselves: I would never have planned to watch 200 Spanish films (or 300 hours of content) but now that I write it down I would have done it anyway.

I felt challenged to do it in French as well but you know....

Edited by maydayayday on 04 June 2012 at 8:03pm

This discussion contains 713 messages over 90 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version