Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The Super challenge!

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
713 messages over 90 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 77 ... 89 90 Next >>
Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5093 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 609 of 713
03 July 2012 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
I am happy to hear that, but I have not yet recovered from the shock of seeing what I thought would be four
crazy souls joining me in a just as crazy a quest, to seeing it become a mass movement. Enjoying every
moment of it though :-)

I have gained so much from Sprachprofi's brainchild, the 6wc, that I am very happy to have contributed to
giving others a gentle push towards reaching their goals.

2 persons have voted this message useful

RMM
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4986 days ago

91 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 610 of 713
03 July 2012 at 6:57am | IP Logged 
Thanks for mentioning the sorting by columns on the Twitterbot page, Serpent! I didn't notice that before. It's too bad, though, that it sorts by individual language rather than by each participant's overall books, movies, etc. Although it's still an interesting feature as it is, I'd be much more curious about how many total books, for example, people have been able to get through thus far than to see their results spread out over the whole page by each language. I wonder if this is something Surrealix could fix easily when he gets around to another update?

Perhaps the solution to the issue that fiziwig brought up would be just to add another sortable column with overall percentages listed? That way people can find out who is closest to actually completing the challenge, if they want to. Then people who are only doing one language would need not feel as if they are being penalized unfairly, while the main list could still be sorted by whoever has done the most things overall (which I do think is the fairest way, if we only have one choice--since the columns are sortable, though, it appears we can have multiple ranking choices really).

At any rate, although it's still off in the future, I do think it would be nice if there would be some way of easily telling who has successfully completed the challenge (including percentages on the main list would accomplish this, but changing the color of the writing or putting a star by the person's name or something like that should also work, I would think). Right now a person only doing one language (esp. a half challenge) will eventually end up far down the list, even once he or she has completed his or her whole challenge successfully (which is after all the main point of having a "challenge" rather than a competition), and it may be hard to even notice them and their accomplishment unless you are carefully checking the entirety of the list.

This is just something to mull over for a while and maybe we can see what Surrealix thinks about it, when he has more free time. As Serpent pointed out, it's going to be a while still before people will be completing any challenges, so we can take up the issue again later of course.

At any rate, overall I've been very impressed by what the participants in this challenge have already been able to achieve, regardless of percentages or rankings. You folks have been inspiring me to try to do more myself, and that's great!

Edited by RMM on 03 July 2012 at 7:12am

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 611 of 713
03 July 2012 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
RMM wrote:
As Serpent pointed out, it's going to be a while still before people will be completing any challenges, so we can take up the issue again later of course.
I meant it in a more pessimistic way. I don't think so many people will complete the challenge that it'll be an issue.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5154 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 612 of 713
03 July 2012 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
RMM wrote:

Perhaps the solution to the issue that fiziwig brought up would be just to add another sortable column with overall percentages listed?

At any rate, although it's still off in the future, I do think it would be nice if there would be some way of easily telling who has successfully completed the challenge (including percentages on the main list would accomplish this, but changing the color of the writing or putting a star by the person's name or something like that should also work, I would think).

I think it would be really cool to have a section at the top with fireworks and stars for each challenge completed. (Okay, maybe we can skip the fireworks, but a star would be nice!) Different colors for Advanced, Super Duper, Super, and Half challenges.

I think that it would be nice to have the percentage completed for each separate challenge listed. I don't think overall combined really matters. Even though most of mine would be at the bottom right now!
3 persons have voted this message useful

fiziwig
United States
Joined 4624 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 613 of 713
03 July 2012 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
To counterbalance my "complaint" in my previous post, I should hasten to add that I'm
really amazed at what is happening to my reading ability as a direct result of this
challenge. I find now that I can pick up some books (but not yet all books) in Spanish
and just read them for pleasure, hardly even noticing that they are in Spanish.

So in the long run I really don't care whether I come in first place or fiftieth place.
I'm still getting a huge benefit from doing the challenge!

RMM
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4986 days ago

91 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 614 of 713
04 July 2012 at 1:52am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
RMM wrote:
As Serpent pointed out, it's going to be a while still before people will be completing any challenges, so we can take up the issue again later of course.

I meant it in a more pessimistic way. I don't think so many people will complete the challenge that it'll be an issue.

Oh, I don't know why you would take such a pessimistic attitude. You may be right, of course, but as Fiziwig pointed out there are already several people around a quarter of the way finished, and it's only two months into a twenty month challenge. That's a really great pace! And, of course, look at how much you've accomplished overall in such a short time. You've gone through a tremendous number of items in a very short time and should be rightly proud of your accomplishments. And look how rapidly Marikki was able to get through 35 books, the most time-consuming part of the challenge, and how impressively several other participants have already done. I think we've been doing great as a group so far. No need for pessimism at this point about whether anyone will actually finish.

And any rate, even if Fiziwig ends up as the only one finishing, what would it hurt to make it clear and easy to see that he has indeed finished the challenge, so long as we keep the main list focused on who's done the most overall? He's on pace to finish his challenge well before the half-way mark.

Kerrie wrote:

I think it would be really cool to have a section at the top with fireworks and stars for each challenge completed. (Okay, maybe we can skip the fireworks, but a star would be nice!) Different colors for Advanced, Super Duper, Super, and Half challenges.

I think that it would be nice to have the percentage completed for each separate challenge listed. I don't think overall combined really matters. Even though most of mine would be at the bottom right now!

Yes, maybe the percentage for each language would be better, esp. if we actually do have a star or something like that for each different type of challenge (which is a good idea, I think, since a half challenge is clearly different from a Super Duper Mega Challenge). I do think having an "overall combined" percentage somewhere, though, would be helpful, so we can see more easily if we're on the right pace or not to finish the whole thing. I'd find this more helpful for my personal challenge than to see it divided by language (since I don't deal with each of my languages to the same extent at the same time, and yet I'm always still getting work on my overall goals done), but it need not be on the main list--having them at the top of each individual's page where the percentages are now would still be helpful. Of course, I could always just do the math myself--but did I mention, I'm really lazy! Automatic is always better than manual when it comes to math :) Naturally this may all just come down to what are simple changes vs. what are difficult changes for Surrealix to make to the bot page.

At any rate, this isn't something I care much about in general, but as I said I do think it would be a nice and convenient gesture to see some sort of indication of who has completed the challenges successfully when the time has come. And, come on, folks, let's be optimistic. We got to believe that we can really do this!

Edited by RMM on 04 July 2012 at 2:22am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5093 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 615 of 713
04 July 2012 at 9:27am | IP Logged 
RMM wrote:
   And, come on, folks, let's be optimistic. We got to believe that we can really do this!

Sure we can! Now, like Serpent, I know that previous experience from the TAC indicates that only a handful of people will make it, but partly I feel that so many are getting so much benefit from the process already, that even if we do not all make the finishing line it will have been worth it, and partly I feel such a wave of enthusiasm from so many people that this is like a Super Duper Mega TAC with lots of participants! With all the football fans here, I am sure that you know the expression "to play eachother good" (assuming this is not just a Norwegian expression, in which case you probably think I am an idiot:-) and that is what I feel we do here.

The days that I feel inspirational, I can come to this thread and inspire others, and the days that I feel about as enthusiastic as a boiled fish, I can come here and suck up the enthusiasm that emanates from you guys!

Go, Super Challengers!!!

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 04 July 2012 at 9:28am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 616 of 713
04 July 2012 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
With all the football fans here, I am sure that you know the expression "to play eachother good" (assuming this is not just a Norwegian expression, in which case you probably think I am an idiot:-)
Ummm must be a Norwegian expression :D I (hopefully) understand what it's about though:)

This discussion contains 713 messages over 90 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version