Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The Super challenge!

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
713 messages over 90 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 83 ... 89 90 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 657 of 713
28 July 2012 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
The bot isn't taking updates right now, it seems... Must be a good sign really;)
A little request in addition to what Kerrie said about the fireworks :D A star (or fireworks, haha) near a completed part of the challenge. Especially important while sorting. Oh and btw while sorting (by movies, books etc) can those that didn't sign up for this part be at the bottom? basically rather than the current: 1, 1, 0, -, 0, -, -, 0, can it be: 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, -, -, -? :)

Also would it be too much of a hassle to automatically recognize "pages" and "words" as #reading and #writing? I know it won't work with video/conversation but at least where it's unambiguous? (ie it would be nice if it was enough to use "pages" OR #reading, not both)
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 658 of 713
29 July 2012 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
It works again now:) Thank you! <3

Edited by Serpent on 29 July 2012 at 1:59am

surrealix
Diglot
Groupie
New Zealand
languagechallenge.su
Joined 4363 days ago

66 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 659 of 713
29 July 2012 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
RMM wrote:
At any rate, although it's still off in the future, I do think it would be nice if there
would be some way of easily telling who has successfully completed the challenge (including percentages
on the main list would accomplish this, but changing the color of the writing or putting a star by the
person's name or something like that should also work, I would think).

Kerrie wrote:
I think it would be really cool to have a section at the top with fireworks and stars for
each challenge completed. (Okay, maybe we can skip the fireworks, but a star would be nice!) Different
colors for Advanced, Super Duper, Super, and Half challenges.

That's a good idea. I can definitely put a star beside each completed challenge in the list! And perhaps
change the colour of the whole entry for people who have completed everything. I'll see what I can do
about the fireworks ;).

Kerrie wrote:
I think that it would be nice to have the percentage completed for each separate
challenge
listed. I don't think overall combined really matters. Even though most of mine
would be at the bottom right now!

This is currently listed on each individual page (just click the name of a participant, to the left of
the twitter tag). Did you mean that these should also be listed on the front page? I guess one way of
doing this would be making it sort by challenge percentage when you click on the challenge column. At the
moment it just seems to be a random order.

Serpent wrote:
Must be a good sign really;)

It's nice you assume I'm working on the bot ;), but unfortunately this time it crashed trying to decypher
a particularly obtuse tweet. It sould be up and going again, and has processed all the tweets that were
sitting waiting.

Edit:
Serpent wrote:
It works again now:) Thank you! <3

Great!

Serpent wrote:
A little request in addition to what Kerrie said about the fireworks :D A star (or
fireworks, haha) near a completed part of the challenge. Especially important while sorting.

Do you mean a star beside each completed line (ie, challenge) within a person's group, or do you mean a
star beside lines (or maybe in the boxes) that have completed for example 100/100 books?
Serpent wrote:
Oh and btw while sorting (by movies, books etc) can those that didn't sign up for this
part be at the bottom? basically rather than the current: 1, 1, 0, -, 0, -, -, 0, can it be: 1, 1, 0, 0,
0, -, -, -? :)

Sure, this shouldn't be too hard.

Serpent wrote:
Also would it be too much of a hassle to automatically recognize "pages" and "words" as
#reading and #writing? I know it won't work with video/conversation but at least where it's unambiguous?
(ie it would be nice if it was enough to use "pages" OR #reading, not both)

I think I looked at doing this earlier, and it was going to be a pain because of the way I'd set things
up. However I'll take another look and see if I can't get it working. I agree that it's much more logical
to have it detect the challenge in these cases. (On a similar line, you should probably also be able to
drop the language tag for exercises that you're only doing in one language.)

Cortical wrote:
maybe you could implement a way to add negative achievements for the time being,
that'll allow people to undo mistakes sort of "manually" and it should be way easier to implement.

I've never actually tried it, but I suspect you can add negative times and pages as the bot is now. The
only catch is that it'll appear as an item in your list of materials, and then if you want to tidy up the
list later, you'll have to undo the not-really-an-undo post and then undo the original post. I didn't
want to put in a stop-gap measure like this because I think things will just get more convoluted than
necessary.

Edited by surrealix on 29 July 2012 at 2:01am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 660 of 713
29 July 2012 at 2:26am | IP Logged 
A crazy question: what languages do you see yourself doing for a later Super Challenge?

I know this one will be unique for me. *sigh* I suppose I could do Romanian (again, but including books) and Swedish. Maybe also Danish or Norwegian (as I'll be doing it for the Assimil challenge). Belarusian. I probably can and need to do a German advanced challenge, but I don't want :P

But these would be all half challenges. 50/50 or audio only. Maybe books only for Spanish - at least they would be easy to find. (just like with Swedish)

But damn... And I was thinking of switching either Italian or Portuguese to a half challenge. When I have the opportunity to do a full one... Nah, no way. ...Or should I do 50/50 now and 200/200 later? ooohh... Sounds good really. hjkgjghjghhkghkghgjj

....I know it's better to wait before the end of this challenge before planning anything :P :D

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 661 of 713
29 July 2012 at 2:37am | IP Logged 
surrealix wrote:

Do you mean a star beside each completed line (ie, challenge) within a person's group, or do you mean a
star beside lines (or maybe in the boxes) that have completed for example 100/100 books
A star right in the box (lol typo) would be great :) Would be great to have an easy way to tell who's completed the part and who hasn't, and it will make it stand out when someone's completed 50 but is obviously behind those that are doing 100.

I don't mind it with the language really. There are short tags and typing three characters is okay:)

I wonder what will happen if I downgrade a challenge to 50/50 after doing more than 50? the extra ones wouldn't count, but would they be still there if i change my mind again?
The thought of doing less Italian (and maybe adding Belarusian instead) is surprisingly relieving...

edit: lol nah can't stand the thought of doing less Italian. But I'll do Belarusian anyway.......... O_o

Edited by Serpent on 29 July 2012 at 3:05am

surrealix
Diglot
Groupie
New Zealand
languagechallenge.su
Joined 4363 days ago

66 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 662 of 713
29 July 2012 at 3:00am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I wonder what will happen if I downgrade a challenge to 50/50 after
doing more than 50? the extra ones wouldn't count, but would they be still there if i
change my mind again?

Yes, if you downgrade the extra ones will still be there in case you change your mind.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5154 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 663 of 713
29 July 2012 at 3:47am | IP Logged 

I don't remember what we decided... are we (eventually) going to be able to add writing or conversations to the half challenges?

surrealix wrote:
Serpent wrote:
I wonder what will happen if I downgrade a challenge to 50/50 after
doing more than 50? the extra ones wouldn't count, but would they be still there if i
change my mind again?

Yes, if you downgrade the extra ones will still be there in case you change your mind.

This is a good thing, since I am considering upgrading my Spanish Challenge, but I won't do it until I finish the original challenge. Is that chicken of me? LOL

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 664 of 713
29 July 2012 at 3:53am | IP Logged 
Hehe no it isn't! This way they won't be scaled to 50% before you're at 100 :D
I think I won't do a 200/200 challenge. like, ever XD
The half challenge+writing/convo is on the to-do list on the main page:) yeah I also can't wait till it's added;)
TBH...one reason I upgraded back was that it looked ugly with just one Super Challenge and too many half ones. I might check out what it looks like when my German is a Half Duper or whatever this would be called... Yeah.

This discussion contains 713 messages over 90 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version