Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The Super challenge!

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
713 messages over 90 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 87 ... 89 90 Next >>
surrealix
Diglot
Groupie
New Zealand
languagechallenge.su
Joined 4364 days ago

66 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 689 of 713
08 October 2012 at 1:27am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
One question, the person lists 101 books in English but they're doing a
super challenge, not an advanced one. The extra books after 100 don't count, right?
Theey're just displayed?

Hmm. It depends what you mean by 'count', because the ranking algorithm isn't
straightforward. In the case where two people are studying the same number of
challenges, the extra books/films over the limit will be used to determine their
relative order. I agree though that in the case where someone reads 1000 books in one
language it shouldn't put them over people who have studied 100 books, 100 films and
100 conversations. I don't have a link for it, but there's a post - perhaps 20 or so
pages back - that explains exactly how things are currently ordered.

Serpent wrote:
What about the half duper challenge? Not to nag you but it's now neither
on the to-do list nor on the available options... confusing:P

Kerrie wrote:
I don't remember.. did we ever decide if we'd be able to add writing
a/o conversation to half challenges? Would this be complicated to do, Surrealix?

This wasn't on the to-do list, because in the list of notes I've distilled from
comments in this thread I've got written that variations for half-challenges had been
discussed and decided against. But I'm also fairly sure this was back somewhere at the
beginning of this thread, so if it's something that people are now interested in and
are going to find useful, there's no technical reason I can't add variations to half-
challenges.

Is there anyone else with thoughts about this? Is there enough interest that it's worth
adding these?
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 690 of 713
08 October 2012 at 3:23am | IP Logged 
If I'm not mistaken, Cristina herself is doing a half duper challenge in German :)
Yes it was on the to-do list, as "Add Conversation/Writing options to the Half Challenge" :)))

i remember that post but there was nothing about the books/movies above the limit... nobody was there yet:) the way you described it, i was pretty sure the extra books wouldn't be displayed at all.
i wonder if he even realizes he's done with the challenge :D

RMM
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4987 days ago

91 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 691 of 713
08 October 2012 at 4:29am | IP Logged 
surrealix wrote:
RMM wrote:
I have a request. In the “Super challenge total info reference” thread
sticky, these are listed as options:

- A Half Super Duper Challenge (50 books, 50 films or 100 books or 100 films + 100 30
minute conversations or 100 essays)
- A Half Super Duper Mega Challenge (50 books, 50 films or 100 books or 100 films + 100
30 minute conversations and 100 essays)

These aren't however listed as options on Twitter, but I think it would be great if
they would be.

Ah, it looks like I completely overlooked those two options. (It feels like we've got
so many options already we may as well have just let people choose their own goal
numbers. Maybe there's demand for a sort of permanent twitter-log-tracker that lets
each user specify everything to their own satisfaction - less a competition and more a
micro-blog. But this is getting sidetracked ...).

I'll add those two options with the next update - but it may not be for a few weeks
because I'm busy moving halfway across the world.

This exchange above was the last I remember hearing about the half super duper challenges. They are still listed as options that Cristina included in the “Super challenge total info reference” thread (the sticky in the Logs section), so I would assume nothing has changed on that front?

At any rate, thanks for the updates, Surrealix!

surrealix
Diglot
Groupie
New Zealand
languagechallenge.su
Joined 4364 days ago

66 posts - 152 votes 

Message 692 of 713
08 October 2012 at 4:30am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, Cristina herself is doing a half duper challenge in German :)

Half challenges have been an option for quite a while - I'm doing two myself :).

Serpent wrote:
i remember that post but there was nothing about the books/movies above the limit... nobody was there
yet:) the way you described it, i was pretty sure the extra books wouldn't be displayed at all. i wonder if he even
realizes he's done with the challenge :D

I went back through the thread and found that post about the rankings - and you're right, there's nothing about the
limits in it. However (I was sure I'd written something about it, somewhere) I kept digging and found that it
did get discussed here. This
thread is a nightmare to keep track of! I'm guessing there will be more fine-tuning of things as people start hitting
their targets.

Serpent wrote:
Yes it was on the to-do list, as "Add Conversation/Writing options to the Half Challenge" :)))

Oops, that's embarrassing - I suspect I just glanced at it, saw "half challenges", and crossed it off along with the
other updates.

I've added those extra options for the half challenge - under their own group called the Major Challenge (#major).
This is the Half Challenge equivalent of the 'Super Duper Challenge'. You can now sign up with #major #writing
and #major #conversation, or just #major to do 50 of everything.

RMM wrote:
- A Half Super Duper Challenge (50 books, 50 films or 100 books or 100 films + 100 30 minute conversations
or 100 essays)
- A Half Super Duper Mega Challenge (50 books, 50 films or 100 books or 100 films + 100 30 minute conversations and 100
essays)

You're right, we did talk about this recently. I'm a bit confused about the combinations above though - those two lines
seem to be 8 separate sub-challenges (a half super + conversation, a half super only books + conversation, a half super
only films + conversation, writing, etc ...). For the moment, I've made it so that a half super challenge (the new
#major challenge) with writing or conversation will be 50 'units' of everything (50 books, 50 films, 50 conversations,
50 pieces of writing).

Edited by surrealix on 09 October 2012 at 1:13am

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5155 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 693 of 713
08 October 2012 at 4:44am | IP Logged 
surrealix wrote:
I've added those two extra options for the half challenge - you can now sign up with #half #writing and #half #conversation.

Oh thank you!

You are in my favorite people book now. :D
2 persons have voted this message useful

RMM
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4987 days ago

91 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 694 of 713
08 October 2012 at 6:05am | IP Logged 
I haven't tried it out yet and correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like right now you can only choose to do writing or conversations with the half challenge. I was originally only interested in writing, but I'm starting to think that I really need to begin conversing a lot more too and the challenge would be a good impetus. Would it be too much trouble to make a half challenge with both writing and conversations together an option, as it is with the regular Super Duper and Advanced Mega Challenges?

Once again thanks so much for all you've done for us!

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 695 of 713
08 October 2012 at 1:43pm | IP Logged 
Many thanks for the updates from me too!!!

I was actually referring to a half challenge with writing or convo as a half duper challenge:) as opposed to half super:)))

And it seems like my request was implemented? <3 With the new edit function, you could just bring a book to 100 pages instead of checking: hmm so I've already listed 34, 27, 12 and 19 pages, now I've read the book so how many pages should I add? Now you can just update as you go: 37, 54, 76, 100 pages:) (or wait, is it possible to do more than one edit? which tweet should be edited, the original one?) I recommend everyone who actually plans edits to add their tweets to favourites :))

And maybe extra sub-challenges could be added if requested? I see that Kerrie tried to register with Croatian movies+writing, while I could do this with Danish...

surrealix
Diglot
Groupie
New Zealand
languagechallenge.su
Joined 4364 days ago

66 posts - 152 votes 

Message 696 of 713
09 October 2012 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
RMM wrote:
I haven't tried it out yet and correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like
right now you can only choose to do writing or conversations with the half
challenge. I was originally only interested in writing, but I'm starting to think that
I really need to begin conversing a lot more too and the challenge would be a good
impetus. Would it be too much trouble to make a half challenge with both writing and
conversations together an option, as it is with the regular Super Duper and Advanced
Mega Challenges?

Of Course! I completely forgot to add this option.

Variations on a half challenge now have their own group called the Major
Challenge (#major) (other name suggestions also welcome). This is to the Half Challenge what
the Super Duper Challenge is to the Super Challenge :

The major challenge is 50 books, films, conversations and pieces of writing. Signing up
to a #major challenge you can also use the #writing and #conversation
tags to specify only one of them.

Edited by surrealix on 09 October 2012 at 1:10am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 713 messages over 90 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version