Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The Super challenge!

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
713 messages over 90 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23 ... 89 90 Next >>
Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 177 of 713
20 April 2012 at 1:09pm | IP Logged 
Dear all,

Someone asked if we would use a Twitter bot for this challenge, but unless someone comes forward and offers to set it up we will not. Not only because I do not have the technical know how, but also because unlike the other challenges we are not measuring small units, we are measuring big chunks - a book or a film. There is no need to register several times a day like we do with the 6WC.

I will therefore soon open up a new thread under the log section, and you register simply by saying
- which language you want to enter with
- whether you will do a full or a half Super challenge

Those of you who have started logs for this, or have logs already as part of the TAC, may give the link when you register, otherwise, you can just post in the thread.

Then as you go along and want to register what you have done, you simply write something along the lines of

- Yesterday I finished book X and saw film y (or this week I read two books and saw 3 films)
- Total so far in the challenge I have read 9 books, and seen 15 films.

It is totally up to you whether you want to register every time you finish something, or just once a week or once every two weeks. Knowing myself I will probably be so proud every time I have read something or finished a film that I will be shouting it from the rooftops :-)

And then I will once in a while go in and see who is leading - or who deserves special mentioning for having surpassed expectations.

Two things: Those of you who register for half a Super challenge need to state whether you will do books only, films only or half and half.

And I have been pondering on how to incorporate conversation, like some of you have proposed and decided that since that falls outside the original idea, we will call that the Super Duper challenge. I have not quite figured out how we do that though, because it is considerably more difficult to measure. Should we have 30 minutes as one unit, and still go for 100 units in the 20 months? Or 20 minutes, or 1 hour as one unit?

Also if some of you are worried that you are unable to keep track with the smaller units (in case you do lesser units than full books or films) then I suggest that you either keep tabs on that in your log, or you write a message on Twitter as a reminder to yourself. I use Twitter in between the challenges as well just to remember how much I do, and then I look over my Twitter messages at the end of the week, and update my log.

Now I would like some feed back before I open the thread, because you are all creative people, and have raised so may issues that I have not even thought about.

4 persons have voted this message useful

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4405 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 178 of 713
20 April 2012 at 1:25pm | IP Logged 
That all sounds great. I have no idea how to make a twitter bot, but I think that'd be a lot easier for you. That
said, if we only register in the thread every time we finish a book, it won't be too bad for you.
I know i'm going to be shouting it from the rooftops each time i finish something. i mean, i am doubtful that
i'll finish more than 20-30 books. That said, I'm not necessarily in the challenge to win it, more because it's a
goal to work towards. As a beginner I doubt i'll finish but it's worth a try.

Everything you have said sounds about right. I'm so excited for may!!!!!
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 179 of 713
20 April 2012 at 1:33pm | IP Logged 
dandt wrote:
I have no idea how to make a twitter bot, but I think that'd be a lot easier for you.

I am told that setting up the 6WC bot took 50 hours - and even if I had had the know how I think I would have preferred to spend that time on studying :-)

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 20 April 2012 at 1:33pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4405 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 
Studies: Italian, French

Message 180 of 713
20 April 2012 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
oh dear! I hadn't known that! Well in that case, it's definitely not worth it! I definitely wasn't suggesting you
should learn how to set one up btw.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 181 of 713
20 April 2012 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
You can't prevent me from aiming to do this in more than one language so can I do this officially? :)
I mean the "only one language" rule basically just means that you can't watch 5 films in 20 languages or 20 films in 5 languages. I don't think it's a problem if I want to do the half-marathon in at least two more languages? :P

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5176 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 182 of 713
20 April 2012 at 2:38pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
You can't prevent me from aiming to do this in more than one language so can I do this officially? :)
I mean the "only one language" rule basically just means that you can't watch 5 films in 20 languages or 20 films in 5 languages. I don't think it's a problem if I want to do the half-marathon in at least two more languages? :P

I'm with Serpent here. If I can, I want to sign up for a full Super Challenge with Spanish, and a 50/50 Half-Super Challenge with French. Ideally, I will go for all 100 books and films in French as well, but probably not by the end of next year.

I really this idea, Cristina. I think I am going to make it one of my long-term challenges for myself in any language I decide to stick with for the long haul. =)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 183 of 713
20 April 2012 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
As long as the principle of a half Super challenge is accepted, I see no reason why people can't do two half Super challenges or 1 1/2 Super challenge. The only thing I would be reluctant to accept would be 62 1/2 % Super challenge or something like that. I would go crazy trying to keep up with that. I would then rather recommend to sign up for a full Super challenge - there is no shame in not going all the way :-)

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6401 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 184 of 713
20 April 2012 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
I'm not a twitter person, so I think the idea of a communal log is great. And as long as everyone includes their total as well as their most recent accomplishment, it won't be too hard to keep track.

This discussion contains 713 messages over 90 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version