Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The Super challenge!

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
713 messages over 90 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 32 ... 89 90 Next >>
Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4582 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 249 of 713
25 April 2012 at 10:00am | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
Woodsei wrote:
I had trouble registering Japanese too, even though I
followed the instructions. Is
Japanese not included yet?

It's not on the list, but I sent an e-mail, so I'm sure it will be fixed soon.

Alright, thanks for the update, Christina!
1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6405 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 250 of 713
25 April 2012 at 11:41am | IP Logged 
Woodsei wrote:
Brun_Ugle, on Twitter, there's a box on the top right-hand side that has the profile of a
person and an arrow. Click on the arrow, and choose "settings" which is second to last in
the list. Page opens, click "language", third from top, choose English, and you should be
good to go. Let me know if you need anything else.

Oh, if you don't have an account yet, the homepage on the top to the right has a button
displaying the language and an arrow next to it. Choose English or Norwegian.

OK. Thanks! The problem was that I'd just clicked on the link to the language bot thingy. When I went to the home page, I found the option for changing the language. Maybe by this time next year I will be ready to change it back.

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5004 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 251 of 713
25 April 2012 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
fiziwig wrote:
This is strictly unofficial, but...

I've added for myself a personal challenge in addition to the Super Challenge: To write 100 brief stories or essays on any subject (100 to 200 words each. Somewhere around 1 notebook page handwritten.) and have them corrected on Lang-8. (And, for the sake of fairness, to correct at least that many English postings by other Lang-8 users.)

That's not a whole lot of writing, of course, so it's not a particularly "super" challenge, but writing in my TL is something I really should be doing, and I haven't done very much at all up till now.

Oh Thank you! I am sooooo having this as well.
So 100 books, 100 films, speak to 100 native users, plus my 100 hours of 1:1 tutoring but as this is my main language I can't count it as a SC because I passed my B2. C1 here I come.

I am now thinking that this means I might have to squeeze in a half S-C in another language now. It really should be German or Russian but I fancy something Asian or Indian. I'll meditate on it.

Edited by maydayayday on 25 April 2012 at 4:03pm

surrealix
Diglot
Groupie
New Zealand
languagechallenge.su
Joined 4389 days ago

66 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 252 of 713
25 April 2012 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
A new day (and some spare time this morning) brings new updates to the twitterBot :).
I've done some shuffling around in the back-end to hopefully cover the different
variations of challenges that people want to do. I've also done a bit of tweaking so
that the bot can explain more clearly what's missing from your tweets. (If it has
trouble reading them).

Brun Ugle wrote:
Japanese is missing among the languages.

Japanese and Irish are now in the list of languages :).

Brun Ugle wrote:
Can you add some kind of challenge where essays on lang-8 are
included? It might get a little complicate with people doing different combinations of
movies, books, writing, and conversation.

I'll post some more information about this soon, but there'll definitely be tracking
for reading, writing, listening and speaking. My current thought is to have
"variations" for each challenge. eg, we already have the half-challenge with 50/50, 100
books, or 100 films; something similar could be done with the super-duper challenge :
the super-challenge + 100 conversations, or 100 pieces of writing, or both.

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Is there a table which we can access where it states who are
leading in the prerun? I see a list of names of those who have registered so far, but I
do not find a table like the ones we usually see? :-)

There is now! The participants are displayed in a table, and ordered by the number of
'units' they've done (books read + movies watched + things written and so on).

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5119 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 253 of 713
25 April 2012 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
Thank you so much! That is a great job you have done! I can't thank you enough for all the work you have put in!!

Is there some way I can change my registration to the Super Duper challenge that I registred with by the way? I don't think it took, since I wrote it in two words.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 25 April 2012 at 6:27pm

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4971 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 254 of 713
25 April 2012 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
Since you have an option to put titles and time/pages, would it be possible to make names clickable and bring up a detailed list with this sort of information?

When you add the conversation and writing, are you going to do the quotes thing? It could be used for a title or topic of your writing and the topic of your conversation or your conversation partner.

Edit: The bot divides total time by 90 minutes and rounds down to get film numbers. I entered one 4 hour film and one 30 minute film, which by the rules would technically be 2.5 films, but it counts it as 3. I imagine books work the same way. This is fine(and will probably even out except for the people who are reading 100 page childrens books and whatnot), but it would be good to include it somewhere in the instructions so people know how it works.

Also I tested out the title in quotations and I can't figure out what it does. Is the bot supposed to respond back with the title in place of "a book"?

Edited by hjordis on 25 April 2012 at 9:07pm

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4582 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 255 of 713
25 April 2012 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
Yes, I saw today that I've been registered for Japanese :)   Thanks a bunch, surrealix.

Einarr
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
einarrslanguagelog.w
Joined 4398 days ago

118 posts - 269 votes 
Speaks: English, Bulgarian*, French, Russian
Studies: Swedish

Message 256 of 713
26 April 2012 at 10:13am | IP Logged 
So, I think that I've registered on the twitter thing too, but I'm not quite sure, since I've never used it before. It may seem as a ridiculous question (never mind my stupidity), but how can I check out if I did it right?

This discussion contains 713 messages over 90 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version