Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The Super challenge!

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
713 messages over 90 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 42 ... 89 90 Next >>
Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 329 of 713
30 April 2012 at 11:09am | IP Logged 
Ist of May, Labour day tomorrow. In Norway that is a public holiday. I grew up in a very conservative neighbourhood where it was de rigeur to be working in the yard that day, regardless of the wheather, just to show that you were not a communist.

This year I will be spending it on Russian - I have invited a Russian friend over, and I am hoping to see a film in the morning, before she comes - or the other half of the film I may watch tonight :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 330 of 713
30 April 2012 at 12:04pm | IP Logged 
Oh but here it used to be common to work in the yard regardless of the weather, to show that you are a communist. :D
5 persons have voted this message useful

surrealix
Diglot
Groupie
New Zealand
languagechallenge.su
Joined 4386 days ago

66 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 331 of 713
30 April 2012 at 1:28pm | IP Logged 
The bot is now reset, and the challenge begins! (at least back home in NZ). Good luck everyone.

Brun Ugle wrote:
Just to be clear. If I write: @langchallenge I read a #book with 1010 pages called "The
Invisible Book" it automatically counts it as four books, right?

Yes, that's correct.

Brun Ugle wrote:

And what about writing? I'm not sure I could write 200 words in one essay, so I might have to count several
shorter things together. Will it add up the words by itself so that if I post three essays at 60 words , 70
words, and 80 words, it will count as one essay? Or should I wait until I get up to 200 words and then post it
as one essay.

It'll add up the words by itself - if you tweet three times:
@langchallenge #writing 60 words
@langchallenge #writing 70 words
@langchallenge #writing 80 words
Then you'll be displayed as Brun Ugle - 1 piece of writing (210 words)

Brun Ugle wrote:

Also, are we allowed to give the names of the books in foreign scripts? I wouldn't want to give your bot a
nervous breakdown by writing Japanese.

I've never actually tested this, but it should work fine. The worst it's going to do is mangle the title into
something unreadable - which you won't be able to see because I've not yet programmed the participant pages. If
you hold off posting titles in foreign scripts until the 3rd I can do some testing and double check that it's
going to work for you :).
3 persons have voted this message useful

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6460 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 332 of 713
30 April 2012 at 2:53pm | IP Logged 
Oh... I would really like to join this one, but I'm bitter about missing this thread for so long that it's now a million pages long. Is there any other info-page than http://www.languagechallenge.surrealix.com/? I would like to join for Ukrainian, but I have a ridiculously small amount of books in Ukrainian and no prospect of visiting the Ukraine before the fall. Despair.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 333 of 713
30 April 2012 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
See the first post here :)
You can download a lot in Ukrainian;))) Also if you get more materials in autumn, you'll still have more than a year left till the end of the challenge:)

Katze
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4842 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: German*, EnglishC1
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 334 of 713
30 April 2012 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Katze, it's called CafÄ— Tasso, near Frankfurter Tor. Also note my thread on Berlin bookstores in the relevant subforum.

Thank you.

Solfrid Cristin wrote:

3) Have you also remembered to register on the Super Challenge Twitter bot? This is not compulsary, but I recommend that you do. It is easy and fun to use. However if you know that you will not use it then please let me know now, in this thread. Then I can keep an extra eye on your updates, and include you when I make my periodical comments.

I also don't twitter.

Well tommorrow it starts. I think I do an easy start with watching a movie. I am glad, that some people support me with the challenge, motivating; and some already offered help with Japanese. One sent me a japanese children book for the start.

I am still thinking, how to put the reading into my daily live. I will at least spend 1 hour a day for reading, except the days I work 8 hours (I usually work only 6 h) Later on, I probably will also use the time riding to work for reading.

I wish everyone good luck.

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5511 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 335 of 713
30 April 2012 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
I might do Spanish and read and watch 10 different books and movies 10 times. I should get a lot out of it.

My current active language is Chinese, but I think it's going to be a long time before I can read and write Chinese well enough to understand native material.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 336 of 713
30 April 2012 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
tricoteuse wrote:
Oh... I would really like to join this one, but I'm bitter about missing this thread for so long that it's now a million pages long. Is there any other info-page than http://www.languagechallenge.surrealix.com/? I would like to join for Ukrainian, but I have a ridiculously small amount of books in Ukrainian and no prospect of visiting the Ukraine before the fall. Despair.

Which part of Norway do you live in? I do not have any Ukrainian books, but I have a few films where you can chose either Russian or Ukrainian language - do you live anywhere near Oslo? Ask your local library to get you some books in Ukrainian. Even if they have none themselves, they can borrow from other libraries.

This discussion contains 713 messages over 90 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version