Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The Super challenge!

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
713 messages over 90 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 46 ... 89 90 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6382 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 361 of 713
01 May 2012 at 3:57am | IP Logged 
If there are subtitles in BCSM, this also counts :-)))
Just did 1.5 h LR. poor Dobby....
2 persons have voted this message useful

vlish
United States
Joined 5478 days ago

2 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 362 of 713
01 May 2012 at 4:06am | IP Logged 
What an interesting and fun challenge! I was kind of hemming and hawing about participating, but I have to say, the mood in here is absolutely infectious! I will join my fellow lurkers and come out of the shadows to give it a try. Maybe this is the kick in the pants I need to get going on my French studies.

Next I get to figure out Twitter! Whoo-hoo, it's 2 challenges in 1!
1 person has voted this message useful

sabotai
United States
Joined 5667 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 
Studies: German, Japanese, Korean, French

Message 363 of 713
01 May 2012 at 6:06am | IP Logged 
*Looks at clock* 12:06 AM

Crap, I'm already 6 minutes behind! Time to pop "Lola Rennt" into the DVD player!

Edited by sabotai on 01 May 2012 at 6:07am

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5341 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 364 of 713
01 May 2012 at 6:51am | IP Logged 
sabotai wrote:
Crap, I'm already 6 minutes behind! Time to pop "Lola Rennt" into the DVD player!

Snap! Although it's not my target language for this challenge, I decided to watch Lola rennt this morning too. Fun film. :)

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6405 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 365 of 713
01 May 2012 at 7:34am | IP Logged 
Tamise wrote:
I wonder how many of us are going to read/watch Harry Potter at some point! I have the first five films in Japanese and will be watching them - my main problem is that I love Alan Rickman's voice so much that it's difficult to watch it when it's not him. Still, the Japanese voice actor sounds pretty good too.

I have all 7 books in Japanese. I've already read the first two, so the third one is starting off this challenge for me.

How lucky you are to have the films! How did you manage that? I would've liked to order them and others from Japan, but they usually aren't very cheap to begin with and by the time you add 25% VAT at import, it is pretty ridiculous. There's no VAT on books, so they're OK though.

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4409 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 
Studies: Italian, French

Message 366 of 713
01 May 2012 at 7:51am | IP Logged 
Do the DVDs have subs on them? Or dubbing? My problem is my extensive DVD collection is 6 hours away,
so I'm stuck with whatever my housemates have, which is mainly stuff I have no interest in, or TV shows.
That said, at this stage of my learning process, a tv show is beter for me as I struggle to hold on for the
full length of a movie. I'm going to hit up a few 30min epsiodes of things tonight I think... Sex and the City
and How I met your mother. My housemates are being really supportive and putting french subs on
whenever I come and watch a movie with them, but i've been so busy lately that I haven't been able to do
so.

When I get my dvds down (won't be able to bring cases though) I'm going to sit down and load them all,
find out hte languages and write it in pen on the disks so when I flick through I'll know immediately. Or I
might just do it for french. Another language is a while away for me.

People have said not to forget your libraries for books, and I suggest looking to video rental stores for
DVDs too. I'm planning on joining one soon, once i find one with a good foreign language section.

Tamise
Triglot
United Kingdom
jllrr.wordpress.com/
Joined 5028 days ago

115 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese, Spanish

Message 367 of 713
01 May 2012 at 7:56am | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
How lucky you are to have the films! How did you manage that? I would've liked to order them and others from Japan, but they usually aren't very cheap to begin with and by the time you add 25% VAT at import, it is pretty ridiculous. There's no VAT on books, so they're OK though.

I got them from Amazon.co.jp when they were all offer at various points, so Y1000 or so each. We don't always get hit with the VAT in the UK - if your parcel is low value you don't have to pay import duty and sometimes get away with the VAT too, especially if a lot of the parcel is books, which aren't liable for VAT here either. The main problem with Amazon is the huge shipping costs, so I've moved to bk1.jp for books and will probably try to get Japanese films from Amazon.co.uk for most of the challenge.

If you'd like to watch them, I could probably lend them to you at some point. If you're interested, let me know, and I'll give you a shout when I've finished watching them (probably by the end of next month).

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5119 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 368 of 713
01 May 2012 at 9:49am | IP Logged 
Kartof wrote:
Could I do this challenge for my native language of Bulgarian? I'm definitely fluent and I know that this challenge is
for people who want to bring their language skills up to an intermediate level, but I've long been neglecting my
reading ability in the language and I haven't really read anything substantial in Bulgarian ever as English language
materials are substantially easier to find and gain access to. To top it off, I've been fully educated in the United
States and so the practice with literature that native speakers would normally receive in their language is absent
with me in Bulgarian. I'm hoping that this may give me the push to *gasp* cut down my wanderlust and focus on
what I've been letting fester for far too long. Tell me what you think; can I do this or am I ruining the spirit of the
super challenge? If you want I can ramp up the challenge to say 200 books instead of 100 books and 100 movies.

This challenge is for those of us who can barely read their languages, so you would not really qualify. Tell you what, you start noting down what you read and which films you see, and I'll see if I can come up with something. Just give me few days to think about it.

This discussion contains 713 messages over 90 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version