Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The Super challenge!

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
713 messages over 90 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 60 ... 89 90 Next >>
RMM
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4987 days ago

91 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 473 of 713
12 May 2012 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
a3 wrote:
Where do you get your books and movies from? Since I registered I was searching in the Internet hard, but found nothing of interest. I don't have any Norwegian programs on my TV. And my local bookstore definitely doesn't sell any Norwegian books.

There are free legal resources out there too. Several Norwegian television stations either stream online or include numerous pre-recorded materials on their websites that you can watch. Here is a link to a list of 8 Norwegian TV stations: http://wwitv.com/television/158.htm. By the way, this website has links to television stations in numerous different languages, so anyone in the challenge who is having trouble getting material to watch may find this site useful, whether studying Norwegian or something totally different.

Also, if you don't mind reading classic literature, Project Runeberg has many public domain books in Norwegian (and Swedish, Danish, and even a little Icelandic and Finnish) for free on their website: http://runeberg.org/. I hope this helps.

Edited by RMM on 12 May 2012 at 11:30pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5016 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, Russian
Studies: Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Finnish

Message 474 of 713
13 May 2012 at 8:20am | IP Logged 
Thank you all, now this looks a lot less of a challenge.
I also found another way that works for any language - search for the film in English and for subtitles in TL. I prefer the film to be only in TL though.
As for reading I prefer modern literature, but I don't have much choice.
1 person has voted this message useful

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5016 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, Russian
Studies: Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Finnish

Message 475 of 713
13 May 2012 at 12:14pm | IP Logged 
Does only listening to the audio without looking at the video count? I'd like to multitask.
Also, does watching TV for the same time instead of films count?

Edited by a3 on 13 May 2012 at 12:22pm

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 476 of 713
13 May 2012 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
The super challenge is starting to push me in my French vocabulary learning. I've been learning French for about a year, and made about 300 paper cards. I've also passively learned a lot of vocab from Pimsleur (not many words?), Assimil (passively about half way through, so around 1k words?), Earworms (supposedly about 600 "words and phrases"), and Lyric Language (about 500 words there). I'm guessing my total vocabulary is somewhere between 600-1000 words (mostly passive knowledge). So far, I have been happy to expand my vocabulary passively.

Now that I've started to read simple books in French, I've realized that I need a lot more vocabulary to make my reading time more effective. One book I've read says it contains "moins de 500 mots", but a lot of those 500 are not in my 600-1000 words.

I have a 2600 fact Anki French deck, based on a GCSE wordlist. But a lot of the words aren't even in the top 5k by frequency, and I don't like the way some definitions are put. So I've begun to enter vocabulary from my French frequency dictionary into an Anki deck. The dictionary has 5,000 main entries, and I doubt I'll end up entering them all, but I would like to have at least 2k words in my deck.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5094 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 477 of 713
13 May 2012 at 4:56pm | IP Logged 
a3 wrote:
Does only listening to the audio without looking at the video count? I'd like to multitask.

Yes, listening to audio only and watching TV also counts :-)

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 478 of 713
13 May 2012 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
a3 wrote:

"Count" means whatever you want it to mean. If you're listening to a film while you're playing a game, cooking, cleaning, or whatever, you are probably learning more than you would if you did that activity without listening. However, you are certainly going to learn less than if you actually watched the film/TV show. You can count whatver you like, but remember, the only loser/winner is your own language ability.

I've been thinking for a while about giving my thoughts about counting listening as a film. I'm not telling anyone how to do the challenge, just offering my thoughts on what I think is beneficial. Please bear in mind that I don't want to discourage anyone, or make them feel bad about what they're doing.

I personally don't intend to count as films things I've only watched, for two reasons. First of all, if I'm watching I know I'm giving it my full attention.

The second reason is that one of the benefits of films is that you see the language used in context, and you can learn to read physical clues as well. You learn a lot about how language is used culturally. For example, you wouldn't know from audio that people in India shake their head from side to side to indicate "yes". Learning to understand gestures is essential, and other than being with native speakers, the only way to really learn about them is by watching. Another important clue is to observe facial expressions when people speak. Having trouble with a particular sound? It might be because you're not moving your lips in the right way. (Many of these thoughts were developed after I read the introduction to French in Action, by the way).

Similarly, dubbed films don't give you the same benefits as a film made in your target language. Animation also loses some of the benefit you can get from a film (e.g. proper facial expression).

For myself, I am not intending to count audio as a film. I listen a lot, but it develops different skills. For similar reasons, I am going to avoid dubbed films. I understand perfectly that people are busy, and that for many languages it is difficult (or even impossible) to find native video material. I'm lucky, in that I already own about 50 Hindi DVD's, and I have TV5 for watching French, as well as French in Action.

At the end of the day, you count whatever you like to count, within the broad and generous rules of the challenge. I, for example, am reading children's books, readers, etc, and others will only be reading adult native material. The point of the challenge is to keep you learning! If you don't have time to sit and watch things, then you do what you have to do to keep learning.

EDIT: spelling.

Edited by Jeffers on 13 May 2012 at 5:43pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 479 of 713
14 May 2012 at 1:01am | IP Logged 
Well, listening to 150 hours of audio is beneficial regardless of whether it's films or not. Even more so if you reuse a film and watch it "properly" 2-3 times, in between which you listen a few more times. The lack of visual clues will force you to work harder to understand what's being said.

If you prefer doing audio-only though, it's better to find a high quality audiobook/some "series" for the radio etc. I even have stuff like this in Polish, so finding it in a popular language should be even easier :)

fiziwig
United States
Joined 4625 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 480 of 713
14 May 2012 at 6:05am | IP Logged 
Does the Twitter Bot cap out the movies and books at 100?

It doesn't seem right that someone could be ranked higher for 150 movies than someone with 100 movies and 40 books, since books take a lot more effort, and extra movies should not count as replacements for books.

If it doesn't presently do so, I, personally, think the bot should not allow book or movie counts to go above 100 each.

This discussion contains 713 messages over 90 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version