Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The Super challenge!

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
713 messages over 90 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 61 ... 89 90 Next >>
Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5112 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 481 of 713
14 May 2012 at 6:24am | IP Logged 
I do not know how it is set up, but the intention is that the limit is at 100 films and a 100 books ( or the
numbers which are equivalent for the challenge you have chosen).
1 person has voted this message useful

surrealix
Diglot
Groupie
New Zealand
languagechallenge.su
Joined 4382 days ago

66 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 482 of 713
14 May 2012 at 11:04am | IP Logged 
fiziwig wrote:
Does the Twitter Bot cap out the movies and books at 100?

It doesn't seem right that someone could be ranked higher for 150 movies than someone with 100 movies
and 40 books, since books take a lot more effort, and extra movies should not count as replacements for
books.

If it doesn't presently do so, I, personally, think the bot should not allow book or movie counts to go
above 100 each.

I've noticed the movie counts creeping up pretty rapidly with some people (where on earth do you find
the time?), and I'm definitely intending to cap the ordering/scoring at 100. I've been putting it off
because life has been getting in the way, but it looks like I'm going to have to do it sooner rather
than later! Obviously I'll let people keep posting movies so they can keep track, and only cap it when
counting the scoring.

Marikki
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 5273 days ago

130 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Spanish, Swedish
Studies: German

Message 483 of 713
14 May 2012 at 3:07pm | IP Logged 
surrealix wrote:
fiziwig wrote:
Does the Twitter Bot cap out the movies and books at 100?

It doesn't seem right that someone could be ranked higher for 150 movies than someone with 100 movies
and 40 books, since books take a lot more effort, and extra movies should not count as replacements for
books.

If it doesn't presently do so, I, personally, think the bot should not allow book or movie counts to go
above 100 each.

I've noticed the movie counts creeping up pretty rapidly with some people (where on earth do you find
the time?), and I'm definitely intending to cap the ordering/scoring at 100. I've been putting it off
because life has been getting in the way, but it looks like I'm going to have to do it sooner rather
than later! Obviously I'll let people keep posting movies so they can keep track, and only cap it when
counting the scoring.

When looking at the current top three seems that the ranking is based on totals per person, not on totals per person, challenge and language. Isn't that going to cause problems too? Maybe the most problem free arrangement for different sorting and ranking views would be that

1. The sort order for participants would be an alfabetical order.
2. The sort order for the challenge column would be based firstly on a challenge and secondly on a ranking per participant and language within a challenge.

So, what I am basically suggesting is that there wouldn't be one universal ranking but rankings within each different challenge. Also not summing up figures per participant would prevent someone who has read 11 books in 10 languages ranking higher than someone who has read 100 books in one language. Both are great achievements but isn't reading 100 books in one language what this challenge is about?

Having said all that, I personally don't think that ranking is so important question, I can see everything I want to see from the current views.

I'm just so happy that this lovely Super Challenge and bot exist!

Edited by Marikki on 14 May 2012 at 3:16pm

surrealix
Diglot
Groupie
New Zealand
languagechallenge.su
Joined 4382 days ago

66 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 484 of 713
14 May 2012 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
Marikki wrote:
When looking at the current top three seems that the ranking is based
on totals per person, not on totals per person, challenge and language. Isn't that
going to cause problems too?

We had a fairly long discussion on this about 5 pages back (I'm not sure how to link to
specific posts here - any tips, experts?). The current method is rating based on the
sum of totals per person, scaled by type (1 hour of conversation is not equal to 1 hour
of film), and for the challenge type (studying above a B1 level is proportionally
easier, so you're expected to do more to have the same weighting).

Marikki wrote:
]... read 11 books in 10 languages ranking higher than someone who has
read 100 books in one language.

That's a good point, but on the other hand, someone who has read 99 books in 3
languages should probably rank higher than someone who's read 100 books in 1 language.

What it comes down to is that there's no easy solution! But if and when situations like
these pop up, I'll keep tweaking the algorithm so that it seems fair to the majority.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6217 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 485 of 713
14 May 2012 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
surrealix wrote:

counting the scoring.

It's definitely eating up most of my free time, and getting pretty tiring!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5112 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 486 of 713
14 May 2012 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
surrealix wrote:

counting the scoring.

It's definitely eating up most of my free time, and getting pretty tiring!

Please remember that you have 20 months for this task guys, you do not have to watch all the films the first month!

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6217 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 487 of 713
14 May 2012 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

Please remember that you have 20 months for this task guys, you do not have to watch all the films the first month!

I remember, but I figured I'd initially aim for watching all the films in the first month. I won't manage to hit that target, but at least I'm watching a lot. Reading will definitely be slower going.

Marikki
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 5273 days ago

130 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Spanish, Swedish
Studies: German

Message 488 of 713
14 May 2012 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
surrealix wrote:

We had a fairly long discussion on this about 5 pages back (I'm not sure how to link to
specific posts here - any tips, experts?). The current method is rating based on the
sum of totals per person, scaled by type (1 hour of conversation is not equal to 1 hour
of film), and for the challenge type (studying above a B1 level is proportionally
easier, so you're expected to do more to have the same weighting).

Sorry! Thought I've followed this thread devotedly but I have obviously missed some parts. Shoud have known that this has already been though out and resolved.

This discussion contains 713 messages over 90 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version