Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The Super challenge!

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
713 messages over 90 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 62 ... 89 90 Next >>
fiziwig
United States
Joined 4643 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 489 of 713
14 May 2012 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Volte wrote:
surrealix wrote:

I've noticed the movie counts creeping up pretty rapidly with some people ---

It's definitely eating up most of my free time, and getting pretty tiring!

Please remember that you have 20 months for this task guys, you do not have to watch all the films the first month!

Just to put this into perspective, you need to average just about 1.2 books per week, AND 1.2 movies per week. Or put another way, one book AND one movie every 6 days.

1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6217 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 490 of 713
14 May 2012 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
fiziwig wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Volte wrote:
surrealix wrote:

I've noticed the movie counts creeping up pretty rapidly with some people ---

It's definitely eating up most of my free time, and getting pretty tiring!

Please remember that you have 20 months for this task guys, you do not have to watch all the films the first month!

Just to put this into perspective, you need to average just about 1.2 books per week, AND 1.2 movies per week. Or put another way, one book AND one movie every 6 days.

Given that this isn't the advanced super challenge, reading speeds should be drastically higher by the end than they are at the beginning.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4667 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 491 of 713
14 May 2012 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
Flic 4: Ma saison préférée (André
Téchiné, 1993). Two great actors (Catherine Deneuve, Daniel Auteuil) and one of the
best directors from the 1990's (André Téchiné) - this was a pleasure to watch. I
thought it dragged a bit at the end, even though there was more 'drama' then. It took
me a couple evenings to finish. Still, I'd recommend it.

The French was moderate - maybe at a B2 level?   The speech was casual, but there
didn't seem to be a lot of slang or idiom.

@ Volte - Our reading speeds should be higher at the end of the challenge, but 1.2
books is still a lot.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5112 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 492 of 713
15 May 2012 at 6:53am | IP Logged 
Meramarina pointed out that it would be a good idea to collect all the information and links to the various threads about the Super Challenge in one place, for easy reference. I have done that, and you will find this here:

SUPER CHALLENGE TOTAL REFERENCE THREAD

Then hopefully you will never need to search for a thread again, as all the links are supposed to be here. It has been made sticky, and I trust you will find it useful.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5112 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 493 of 713
15 May 2012 at 1:35pm | IP Logged 
At the risk of being accused of being a chicken...

I must admit that I had underestimated the time it would take to read a book at our level. (About 40 hours for 250 pages in my case) When I then looked at my Twilight book in Russian, which is about 450 pages, and which according to the rules I have set myself, would only count as one book, my heart sank.

At the same time I have said that the minimum for something to count as a book is 100 pages.

So my question to all you esteemed members of the Super Challenge is the following:

Should we consider counting every 100 pages as one book? So that if we read 450 pages, it counts as 4 1/2 book, and not just one?

When I conceived the idea of the Super Challenge, the idea was simplicity, and there was no Twitter bot yet. With the bot it is possible to count pages, somethng which would have been more difficult if we just made updates in the thread.

The negative aspect is that we would have to change the rules after just two weeks, and there would have to be made changes to the bot, plus a few of us would have to make some sdjustments, as we have already registred one or more books.

The positive side is that we would raise the chance of people succeeding dramatically :-)

And 10 000 pages is still quite impressive, right?

4 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6217 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 494 of 713
15 May 2012 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
At the risk of being accused of being a chicken...

I must admit that I had underestimated the time it would take to read a book at our level. (About 40 hours for 250 pages in my case) When I then looked at my Twilight book in Russian, which is about 450 pages, and which according to the rules I have set myself, would only count as one book, my heart sank.

At the same time I have said that the minimum for something to count as a book is 100 pages.

So my question to all you esteemed members of the Super Challenge is the following:

Should we consider counting every 100 pages as one book? So that if we read 450 pages, it counts as 4 1/2 book, and not just one?

When I conceived the idea of the Super Challenge, the idea was simplicity, and there was no Twitter bot yet. With the bot it is possible to count pages, somethng which would have been more difficult if we just made updates in the thread.

The negative aspect is that we would have to change the rules after just two weeks, and there would have to be made changes to the bot, plus a few of us would have to make some sdjustments, as we have already registred one or more books.

The positive side is that we would raise the chance of people succeeding dramatically :-)

And 10 000 pages is still quite impressive, right?

I'd vote for the change. I thought the 500 page=> 2 books rule was incredibly arbitrary, and reading 10,000 pages in a language where you start out at B1 or lower is very time-consuming.

If we stick to reading books in the second 10 months, as you mentioned as an option for those of us starting out at the lowest levels, that's still 1000 pages a month during those months...

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6248 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 495 of 713
15 May 2012 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
Agree.

The book requirement was actually one of the reasons I was hesitant to join. I had read a
Chinese book last year, which I only managed because it was parallel text, and even so it
was incredibly time-consuming.
3 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4466 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 496 of 713
15 May 2012 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
We should do whatever will lead to the most people sticking with it the longest.

EDIT: Ironically, even though I've already read over 500 pages worth of books this month, 400+ being in my SC TLs, I've only finished one book so far, which is barely 100 pages, so I don't have to worry about changing my old entries...

Edited by geoffw on 15 May 2012 at 3:54pm

This discussion contains 713 messages over 90 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version