Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The Super challenge!

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
713 messages over 90 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 73 ... 89 90 Next >>
maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5001 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 577 of 713
08 June 2012 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
Sorry to be late to the party - I missed the little spat last night because I was entertaining guests.

SolfridChristina presented the challenge - so 'snaps' to her for that.
We all bulled it up in all kinds of ways but it is what it is: that is a challenge to do more of what you do to improve your L2.

My view on the rules quoting SolfridCristina but in a different order: unless you are a first year undergrad in an 'ab initio' L2 or a DLI conscript, I suggest that

Quote:

So the basic rules - which trump all other rules are:

- Have fun
- Stay motivated
- Do as much as you can

- And the Golden Rule - when in doubt use your own best judgement.

I have huge respect for anyone who reads 100 x 100 pages of poetry, or lyrics.
1 person has voted this message useful

Tamise
Triglot
United Kingdom
jllrr.wordpress.com/
Joined 5025 days ago

115 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese, Spanish

Message 578 of 713
10 June 2012 at 1:32pm | IP Logged 
Folks doing more than one language (either Super or Advanced) - how do you find it? Not time-wise, but in that you're splitting your focus?

I'm semi-thinking of doing a half-challenge in French. My other main languages right now are Dutch and German. German is definitely too high, and Dutch probably is in terms of reading and listening. I learnt French at school to the highest level there (Scottish CSYS, roughly A Level, though maybe a little higher) but haven't done much since as every time I decide to go for it, I get distracted by something else. It's one of the languages I've always wanted to get good it, but have never really wanted to study, so this seems like a good way to do it given I need the external motivation to keep it up. I've a fair number of books, and DVDs either of actual French movies/tv or with dubs, and will be in Brussels next month, so could easily get more. I'm a little concerned that it'll weaken the effect on my Japanese though - any thoughts?

Thanks!

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5177 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 579 of 713
10 June 2012 at 2:05pm | IP Logged 

Tamise wrote:
Folks doing more than one language (either Super or Advanced) - how do you find it? Not time-wise, but in that you're splitting your focus?
Thanks!

I would be splitting my focus, whether or not I was doing the Super Challenge. In fact, when I signed up for the Super Challenge with Spanish and French, I felt like my other focus languages were getting ignored. So I upped the ante and signed up for all of them. I actually find that it gives me more focus, because it gives me specific goals for each of my languages.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 580 of 713
10 June 2012 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
Well, as I see it, there are two ways to do immersion on your own (call it artificial if you want):
-All (one language) All The Time, reaching fluency and only then starting the next one (as the AJATT guy advocates)
-Everything In Foreign Languages All The Time. That's what I do. Most of my languages are a clear part of my lifestyle, and the similar ones keep one another alive even if I don't do anything for some time.

Also, I know I'll be switching my focus, and the shorter challenges like 6WC and Tadoku /should/ help here.

Do you like the materials you have? I think the main problem is that you just might not study anyway, given that you can just improve your score by doing more Japanese. It's kinda like with me and German... I know that to improve properly I need to do the 6WC and/or Tadoku in it (only in it). I'm hoping for some calm steady improvement though. :)

If you're motivated to do Japanese, you'll be doing it. And if you do it you'll improve. So don't worry about it :-)

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 581 of 713
10 June 2012 at 3:36pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
I actually find that it gives me more focus, because it gives me specific goals for each of my languages.
Good point! Same here :-) It also gives me focus in terms of focusing on "just" six languages. I've not even felt the full effect of that because the 6WC was on, but I imagine it's going to be an even more important factor when Polish no longer has such a HUGE priority.

Tamise
Triglot
United Kingdom
jllrr.wordpress.com/
Joined 5025 days ago

115 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Dutch
Studies: French, Japanese, Spanish

Message 582 of 713
13 June 2012 at 12:58pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for your thoughts on this both - think I'm just going to go for it. Even if I only read/watch a little more French than I would have otherwise, it'll be a victory.

I've started reading a Maigret novel and am finding it pretty good so far.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5177 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 583 of 713
14 June 2012 at 4:27am | IP Logged 

Cristina, are you aware they you have inspired more than 70 people to sign up for this crazy challenge? I think that's amazing. :D

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 584 of 713
14 June 2012 at 8:08am | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:

Cristina, are you aware they you have inspired more than 70 people to sign up for this crazy challenge? I
think that's amazing. :D

I had not counted them, but I am really happy that so many people have found it useful to participate :-)
Most of the honor should however go to Sprachprofi who inspired me with her 6WC.

This discussion contains 713 messages over 90 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version