Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The Super challenge!

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
713 messages over 90 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 8 ... 89 90 Next >>
Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4696 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 57 of 713
12 April 2012 at 11:06am | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:
I'm finding it very hard, and very expensive, to find that many films and books in any of my TLs.

Solfrid thought of this possibility. She said that you can see the same films and read the same books over and over again if necessary.
1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5049 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 58 of 713
12 April 2012 at 2:21pm | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:
I'm finding it very hard, and very expensive, to find that many films and books in any of my TLs.

Cristina is the heart and soul of this forum. She has once again scored with a brilliant topic and challenge.

@DaraghM, your profile lists that you are studying French, Italian, Hungarian and Russian. You can get books for free from Project Gutenberg.org in all of your target languages. Older films can also be had by doing an advanced video search on google and selecting the option for videos longer than 20 minutes. I enjoy watching old videos from the 1960's of La Tremenda Corte in Spanish from time to time on Google Videos. Google Videos was google's video service before they bought youtube. Many of the videos were moved over to you tube a couple of years ago but it's still there and there are long videos in your languages there. You just have to search.

Obviously, these aren't first run flicks or recent popular movies, but still, they're there. Also you could find many long form videos in your languages that may be of interest to you. Just like in English, there are video series on youtube about a range of subjects in long form. Old classic French, Russian and Italian films are also on you tube. To find them, search in wikipedia for, say Italian cinema. Then search for, say Felini on Google. Click viedos. Then select "Long" (20 mins+) and voilà! That's how I find long form videos. I don't know how to search for them within youtube, but from the google portal (and bing) enter your search term, select videos then select "Long (20mins+).

One of my favorite series in Portuguese is the youtube channel "Telecurso Official" with hundreds of long form videos with Portuguese subtitles on a variety of subjects, including Portuguese itself. I'm sure that if you did a search for Italian, French, Russian and Hungarian universities, or educational tv, you would find something similar in those languages as well. Good luck, everyone, hope this helps!

Edited by iguanamon on 12 April 2012 at 2:24pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 59 of 713
12 April 2012 at 2:54pm | IP Logged 
To anyone who wants to make a list of TL films/books/etc, I recommend http://justpaste.it/
I mean your lists will hopefully be too long for forum posts. And it's easier to do the formatting there.

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5938 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 60 of 713
12 April 2012 at 3:07pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
Cristina is the heart and soul of this forum. She has once again scored with a brilliant topic and challenge.

I completely agree and love her posts. I hope my concern doesn't come across as criticizing the challenge. I should mention that I'm an old fashioned sort. I don't like reading extensively online or watching video online for any length of time. I love the feel of a paper book, and like watching films on a big screen. I think it's because I spend about nine hours working in front of a screen. I may do a blend of the two to join the challenge.
2 persons have voted this message useful

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4465 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 61 of 713
12 April 2012 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
I find the idea of challenges extremely positive, but I have some concern about having too many of them.
As we language learners know, wanderlust is a real problem and can easily result in a complete drop of a language (or of languages at all). Somehow, when I see a new challenge described, I'm all excited about it, start thinking of which language I could pick, etc. But the truth is, you only have 24h in a day, and you can't do the 6WCs and a Super or Supreme Challenge, Tadoku, apart from counting your work several time for them all, but then it feels a bit like if I took the TOEFL, TOEIC, IELTS which are all covering the same subject.

An additional concern is that 100 books in 87 weeks (1month = 4.33week) means 1.15 book per week. I've read some people mentioning 1page=1minute, do these people read Manga? Even in French I can't read faster than 2minutes per page. I've read Chinese novels for years and it still takes me between 4.5 and 6 minutes per page (i.e. 10-14p/h). At this rate, a normal novel of 300 pages takes between 20 and 30h, which means between 3h30 and 5h of reading, every single day, during 20 months. Where do I even find time to watch 150h of movies?

edit: arguably, I've never been a great reader and I cannot read hours at length like so many people seem to be able to. However, I like reading, but after finishing one novel in a month (spending an hour everyday), I already feel quite burnt out and can't start a second one immediately. Also the rule "1 book = 1 book, be it 100 or 300 pages" is not very nice for the guy who likes lengthy novels. Cristin, I really hope you'll manage to read 100 lengthy Russian novels within that time frame, I'd be really impressed, and sad I can't do it myself.

Edited by vermillon on 12 April 2012 at 3:37pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4411 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 62 of 713
12 April 2012 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
I'm definitely in. I'm still new at french, but I found a great reader on the kindle store that is for adults and easy, a
rare combination.Plus it's about an heiress who has a diamond which is undoubtedly going to be stolen at some
point.

While there is no limit to the number of times one can see Amelie, I'm thinking I'm going to crack open the
TV
Show dvds. While a movie is NOT the same as an episode of Buffy, I know the French version is known for
being an amazing dubbing, with them even going so far as to redub the musical episode. Not yet sure whether I
will
count them. Haven't read all the way through the thread yet so I'm not sure if it's been covered. Any thoughts?

EDIT:
I saw that TV show under 45 minutes counts as half a movie. Fair enough. I was thinking 2 episodes per movie
anyway. Also just on Buffy I can make it to 72 movies. Oh dear. If I add in the Gilmore Girls DVDs I have with
french dubbing then I'd definitely cross the line without movies. Although Gilmore girls is fast enough in English,
i'd hate to hear how fast it is in French.

When watching movie in TL do you usually have subtitles? Do you put them in TL or current language? Or do you
base it on how far in studies you are?

Edited by dandt on 12 April 2012 at 3:48pm

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4475 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 63 of 713
12 April 2012 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
vermillon wrote:
I find the idea of challenges extremely positive, but I have some concern about having too many of them.
I've read some people mentioning 1page=1minute, do these people read Manga? Even in French I can't read faster than 2minutes per page.

edit: arguably, I've never been a great reader and I cannot read hours at length like so many people seem to be able to. However, I like reading, but after finishing one novel in a month (spending an hour everyday), I already feel quite burnt out and can't start a second one immediately.

I mentioned a minute a page--I myself don't claim to be able to read that fast (for serious comprehension, for a long time) in any language, but I know many people can. My mother, e.g., is known for finishing full-length novels in just a few hours.

For my part, I tend to read A LOT, including newspapers and the like, but it takes me forever to finish books. It feels like it's even longer than it really is, because I tend to read at least 3, and often 5, 6, or more books at the same time, switching back and forth all the time. By my count, I'm currently in the middle of 6 books and two audiobooks (not counting my Hebrew/Aramaic studying, and not counting two language instruction books), from three different non-native languages. I believe our Norwegian matron mentioned something about our talents for spreading ourselves thin... =)

Amazingly, I tend to finish most of them eventually. In a particularly notorious example, I've been reading the Lord of the Rings in German translation, and I started something like 7 years ago. I started the Two Towers maybe 4-5 years ago, and I'm just about to finish it, probably this weekend. I've finished quite a few other books in that time, of course.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5319 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 64 of 713
12 April 2012 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
Hmm, I'm pleased to note that each episode of Engrenages is just a bit longer
than 50 minutes, so it just barely counts as a movie. So that's 24 right there. :-) To
be fair, each episode does contain a ton of dialogue.

The French box set of Buffy is on sale right now on Amazon.fr. If the dubbing is
really good, I'm seriously tempted, but I can't find any example scenes on YouTube.
Anybody else think it's worth ~50€?

I think 100 books would be a bigger problem for me. I read constantly in French, but it
still takes a week or two to finish a real book. I could read 5 in a month, but
I'd have to give up too much hobby or family time. :-( There's no way I can finish a
real French book in 4 hours, and I doubt that I can commit to more than 20 hours of
book-reading time in an average month, combined with my other French studies. So
there's no way to make the numbers work.

So I must reluctantly bow out, and wish you all good luck!

This discussion contains 713 messages over 90 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version