Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The Super challenge!

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
713 messages over 90 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 86 ... 89 90 Next >>
Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5177 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 681 of 713
01 September 2012 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
Tsopivo wrote:
There is a little problem arising from the existence of several topics on the Super Challenge: the rules are not the same depending on which thread your read.

This stems from the fact that it was originally an idea Cristina threw out to anyone who wanted to pick up the challenge. Over the first two months of the challenge, we changed the "rules" a lot, a lot of ideas have been thrown around, and a lot of people have been super motivated. Last time I counted, there were 98 people signed up for at least one challenge.

No one ever said the movie part of the challenge should equal the book part of the challenge. The 100 books has been scaled down from the original proposal, simply because it's a monumental challenge. One hundred books at 100 pages each equals 10,000 pages over 20 months, an average of 500 pages per month.

The sheer number of people who've signed up and the motivation the challenge will give each of us is a testament to this community.

All the "rule" conversations are getting old. Use the bot. Don't use the bot. Count however you want to. Count books. Count pages. Count movies. Count minutes. Count however you want to. It's not a contest. No one is checking up on you. Be accountable to yourself, whatever you think is fair, and challenge yourself.

The idea of the Super Challenge is to challenge yourself and to learn your target language(s) better.

Just my two cents.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 682 of 713
01 September 2012 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
Wow, Kerry, you are becoming more me than me :-). I agree with everything you said. This started out like
a crazy idea which I thought 4 more nerds might join me in. Since a lot of people joined, I tried to work as
much flexibility as possible into the rules, so that everyone would stay motivated. That meant accepting a lot
of hybrids, some changing of rules and some confusion. The next time over we'll all have more experience,
and may fine tune the rules. In the mean time have fun, and do not worry.
1 person has voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4315 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 683 of 713
07 September 2012 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
Mostly watching dubbed TV shows in the past week (in particular True Blood). This seems to be working well as a way of watching a lot of material. There are a lot of classic German films I would like to watch, but I am saving these mostly for later in the challenge when my German is better and I will get more out of them.

I started watching the first season of Battlestar Galactica last night, which seems much harder for some reason. See how that goes over the next week.

62-67. True Blood - Season 3 - 12 Episodes. 7/10.

61. Hunger Games (2012). 6/10

56-60. True Blood - Season 2 - 11 Episodes. 6/10.

Edited by patrickwilken on 07 September 2012 at 6:03pm

surrealix
Diglot
Groupie
New Zealand
languagechallenge.su
Joined 4386 days ago

66 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 684 of 713
07 October 2012 at 12:41pm | IP Logged 
I know some of you have already noticed the changes, but for those who haven't, here's the latest news from
the Twitter Bot front.

The most exciting news is the two new commands that have been eagerly awaited and are long overdue ;-)

Quote:
#undo and #edit

#undo (or #delete) will completely remove a tweet from your studied list, while #edit (or #update) will allow
you to change any details that were incorrect. To use these commands, you need to reply to the tweet that
contains the mistake so that the system knows which one you're referring to. To do this, find the tweet in
your stream and then click on the "reply" button just below it, beside the blue arrow.
Note that these will only work on tweets tweeted after about midday on the 6th october. If there are earlier
tweets that you want to update, simply shoot me an e-mail or PM me with the details you want changed, and I'll
do it manually.

In addition to the new commands, I've also tweaked the display of the list a little and added the stars suggested
by Kerrie. Once you've reached the goal for a certain item you'll get a small star in the box where your total
was. There's also a place for a star/badge beside the username, which will change colour depending upon the
milestones you've hit. You get a bronze star for completing one item, a silver for completing a whole challenge,
and a gold for completing all of the items in all of your challenges (meaning you've finished!).

As well as the new commands and stars, the twitterbot page is shorter and a little easier to navigate.

Finally, this new update functions the same on the surface, but under the hood it's an entirely new system
that should be more stable and easier to adapt to new ideas. As a consequence, some of the old bugs may have
crept back in, and a whole host of new ones are likely waiting to be discovered. If you notice any problems -
even ones you're sure you've seen before, don't be afraid to let me know.

Edited by surrealix on 07 October 2012 at 12:46pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 685 of 713
07 October 2012 at 3:00pm | IP Logged 
Shinyyyy!
One question, the person lists 101 books in English but they're doing a super challenge, not an advanced one. The extra books after 100 don't count, right? Theey're just displayed?

What about the half duper challenge? Not to nag you but it's now neither on the to-do list nor on the available options... confusing:P

Edited by Serpent on 07 October 2012 at 3:17pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5177 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 686 of 713
07 October 2012 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
Surrealix, you are awesome. :D

ks (@gruby2008) gets the first star for reading 100 books in English!

I don't remember.. did we ever decide if we'd be able to add writing a/o conversation to half challenges? Would this be complicated to do, Surrealix?

I'm just curious, because I was originally planning on doing a half challenge for Italian and German. I know there's no way I could read 100 books in each of four languages in 20 months *LOL* but I want to add the writing to both of them. So I have them down as full Super Challenges, but I'd really want to do a half challenge with writing (or a super with writing, but only half the books).

Edited by Kerrie on 07 October 2012 at 6:54pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 687 of 713
07 October 2012 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
Great work Surrealix!

Marikki
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 5277 days ago

130 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Spanish, Swedish
Studies: German

Message 688 of 713
07 October 2012 at 8:33pm | IP Logged 
Nice, Surrealix!

Oh no, I missed a silver star by two days! Shouldn't have changed my Spanish SC to the Advanced challenge yet. I could have enjoyed for a moment..

Nevertheless changing to the AC was the right thing to do, because I've reached B2 level while reading those 100 books, and it is too early to begin resting on one's laurels (or silver stars).

Edited by Marikki on 07 October 2012 at 8:48pm

This discussion contains 713 messages over 90 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version