Diglot
Groupie
Czech Republic
Joined 4424 days ago

54 posts - 111 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, English

Message 34 of 51
09 May 2012 at 12:50pm | IP Logged 
Can Tim really speak all those languages? I mean I bought an Anime magazine in France and I could probably sing along the lyrics of Arash's Boro Boro without even knowing the alphabet. 20 languages in 3 years? I guess this is the way MASS media works.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6255 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 35 of 51
09 May 2012 at 2:11pm | IP Logged 
Midnight wrote:
Can Tim really speak all those languages? I mean I bought an Anime
magazine in France and I could probably sing along the lyrics of Arash's Boro Boro
without even knowing the alphabet. 20 languages in 3 years? I guess this is the way MASS
media works.

His Swahili sounded good to me...
Also keep in mind that he's studying 6-8 hours a day. With that kind of time commitment
and discipline, any of us could meet our goals much faster.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Midnight
Diglot
Groupie
Czech Republic
Joined 4424 days ago

54 posts - 111 votes 

Message 36 of 51
09 May 2012 at 2:54pm | IP Logged 
Okay. And yes his Russian seemed really great, but the thing is I find the recent popping up of YT polyglots quite suspicious. I mean how is it possible there are so many of them out of sudden? Yes internet has become a tool to get to more resources than the local library, but it has also brought "faking" to mind.

http://uloz.to/xyBTKFM/hungarian-fake-wav

I this recording I'm saying that I'm a Czech native speaker and teacher interested in theater plays movies and that I speak English, German and Hungarian fluently. I've made this video in a hurry, but that doesn't mean it's not Hungarian (the stress may be off) and I don't even know a single word in it.

All I needed was to write a single sentence to GT and use google on the output and then I find a DATING WEBSITE or something, copied the text and made a few changes. So while others would say I was using GT. Hungarian natives would probably say: "Nice, you did this and that wrong, but keep up the good work." And I made this in a 10 minutes so you all can imagine what youtube polyglot videos can be made of.

P.S. I'm not saying Tim's not a polyglot, in case it seems so. I'm just saying that we can't judge someone's level based on 5 minutes-long video and that altough he has been studying 20 languages in total, doesn't mean he's fluent in all of them etc. etc. etc.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6653 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 37 of 51
09 May 2012 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
Learning large numbers of languages is nothing new under the sun. It's rare but not original. It's not that polyglots are suddenly popping up, but it could very well be that they are finally able to make their presence known.

Years ago before YouTube was even invented I had the idea of making a multilingual video, showcasing my skills and asking for advice from natives and other advanced speakers. I've never yet made such a video because I don't speak the number of languages I want to before I feel qualified to call myself a "polyglot" (by my personal standards, at least 5 fluently). Nevertheless I never told anyone about this dream of mine, and didn't really think anyone shared it. Clearly I was wrong! :-D

EDIT: Midnight, is there a way we can listen to your file without filling out that pop-up that appears whenever one clicks on the "soubor" button?

Edited by Journeyer on 09 May 2012 at 3:39pm

Midnight
Diglot
Groupie
Czech Republic
Joined 4424 days ago

54 posts - 111 votes 

Message 38 of 51
09 May 2012 at 3:59pm | IP Logged 
Journeyer: I see. I'll repost it in English
http://www.ulozto.net/xyBTKFM/hungarian-fake-wav

All you have to do is click on the Download button and write down those four letters. I'd reupload it, but I'm currently at dad's and he has slow internet connection, otherwise I'd make a video and upload it on youtube. Moreover most of the streaming sites require registration. I hope this helped.

And I know all this, but imagine there's no internet (John Lennon :) and all of them would have to learn the old fashioned way. I prefer books because I like the feel and smell of them, but I'm not saying websites like nciku.com where you can handwrite hanzi aren't useful, but it can attract the wrong sort and then it's not so easy to tell them apart.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5166 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 39 of 51
09 May 2012 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
Midnight wrote:
Okay. And yes his Russian seemed really great, but the thing is I find the recent popping up of YT polyglots quite suspicious. I mean how is it possible there are so many of them out of sudden? Yes internet has become a tool to get to more resources than the local library, but it has also brought "faking" to mind.

"A lot" in Youtube can still mean a statistically incredibly small number like 1 in a 1000 or less. When you look at Youtube, you are looking at the world, not your neighbourhood.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Midnight
Diglot
Groupie
Czech Republic
Joined 4424 days ago

54 posts - 111 votes 

Message 40 of 51
09 May 2012 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Midnight wrote:

"A lot" in Youtube can still mean a statistically incredibly small number like 1 in a 1000 or less. When you look at Youtube, you are looking at the world, not your neighbourhood.
Interesting point. Btw. I find the video to be aimed especially at laymen. And I doubt Xhosa is a "tribal" language when it has more than 7 million speakers.

EDIT: I find it hilarious when I chat with people online. One day I met a Brazilian and he thought I spoke great Russian and German, just because he didn't speak any Russian. Then a Chinese girl came and he said the only phrase he knew: Ni hao ma? I answered: 我很好。你呢?And he was like: OMG! You speak Chinese.

I mean it's so easy to make people think you speak a foreign language based on such trivial phrases or being intermediate. I've never ever take an advantage of it though.

Edited by Midnight on 09 May 2012 at 5:09pm

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version