51 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
translator2
United States
Joined 6706 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 49 of 51
14 May 2012 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
Still, I can't believe that Tim's vocabulary in Arabic could be more than 2,000 - 3,000 words in such a short period of time. Arabic is a very complex language. Impressive, yes. Exaggerated, probably. Unfortunately he will probably spend the rest of his life trying to live up to the reputution of his abilities.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6655 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 50 of 51
14 May 2012 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
translator2 wrote:
Unfortunately he will probably spend the rest of his life trying to live up to the reputution of his abilities.

Well, only if he cares to. It seems like others have built up his reputation, not him. He doesn't look like anyone seeking to prove anything, but instead just a guy enthusiastic about languages. No need to give a fig about what other people think.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jappy58
Bilingual Super Polyglot
United States
Joined 4425 days ago

200 posts - 413 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Guarani*, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Maghribi), Arabic (Written), French, English, Persian, Quechua, Portuguese
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 51 of 51
14 August 2012 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
translator2 wrote:
Still, I can't believe that Tim's vocabulary in Arabic could be more than 2,000 - 3,000 words in such a short period of time. Arabic is a very complex language. Impressive, yes. Exaggerated, probably. Unfortunately he will probably spend the rest of his life trying to live up to the reputution of his abilities.

As someone who has studied Arabic extensively, I agree that acquiring and maintaining so much vocabulary in the language is hard to believe. It has few cognates with English and putting them into use is another story. I also don't agree with Tim's rigid views of MSA vs. dialects and diglossia, but I still appreciate that he has such a great enthusiasm for languages.

Regardless of how much time he's spent learning the language, his skills are impressive and I applaud him. His videos with Arabic are certainly well done. :) He has an excellent future.

EDIT: Just realized your post was a few months ago. XD Oh well.

Edited by Jappy58 on 14 August 2012 at 11:48pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version