Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5971 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 1 of 11
12 April 2012 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
My plan is to study 1,000 hours for each of my languages. I'm trying to estimate how far that'll take me for each one. If my current levels are,

Spanish - B2 (lower)
French - A2\B1
Russian - A2
Hungarian - A1\A2
Italian - A1

What would be the effect of a 1,000 hours study on each of these levels ? In other words, if I studied Spanish for another 1,000 hours what level should I reach, considering I'm at the lower end of B2 ?

Edited by DaraghM on 12 April 2012 at 4:46pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4829 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 2 of 11
12 April 2012 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
I think it could take the low levels to B2, perhaps higher B2, and Spanish to C1. Or
perhaps even further.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5201 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 3 of 11
12 April 2012 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
I can't see why 1,000 hours shouldn't take you to C1 in all of them.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6976 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 4 of 11
12 April 2012 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:
My plan is to study 1,000 hours for each of my languages. I'm trying to estimate how far that'll take me for each one. If my current levels are,

Spanish - B2 (lower)
French - A2\B1
Russian - A2
Hungarian - A1\A2
Italian - A1

What would be the effect of a 1,000 hours study on each of these levels ? In other words, if I studied Spanish for another 1,000 hours what level should I reach, considering I'm at the lower end of B2 ?

If I were you I'd start with this updated assessment from FSI and adjust the required time as needed since you're not starting from scratch in any of those languages. Look at pp. 51-52 on the .pdf (pp. 45-46 on the scanned pages) for a summary. It also seems that FSI organizes languages' difficulty for its students in 3 categories rather than 4 as some of us have learned about them from older descriptions.

4 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4508 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 5 of 11
12 April 2012 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
I don't see why you couldn't, in theory, get to C2 in Spanish and French with that kind of time, execept that it can be hard to get the specific kinds of hours you need at that level when you aren't in an immersion situation. I don't hear too many stories about people getting to C2 without living in country. I would think that you could at least expect to get to passive skills at C2 without doing anything too crazy, if you put in 1000 good hours starting from the B level.

The bigger question is, where are you going to find these 5000 study hours? Best of luck!
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4527 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 6 of 11
13 April 2012 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
You should be doing pretty well at anything given you just spent a 1000(!) hours practicing it.
5 persons have voted this message useful

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5971 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 7 of 11
13 April 2012 at 9:56am | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
It also seems that FSI organizes languages' difficulty for its students in 3 categories rather than 4 as some of us have learned about them from older descriptions.

Thanks. This is very good information. However, for a language institute, I don't think they should create neoligisms like 'superhard'. It sounds like something from a Michael Bay film, "Ok, people, we've ranked this language learning mission as superhard."

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6976 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 8 of 11
13 April 2012 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
This could also reflect the vaguely sensationalist nature of slang as used by the "new blood" in FSI. It seems a bit unprofessional here and conjures an image of what I hear among some teenagers describing their latest test (e.g. "Oh my God! That algebra test was superhard! I so failed that one!")

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version