15 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
COF
United States
Joined 5642 days ago

262 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 15
12 April 2012 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
I was wondering if there are any other language series that take a similar learning approach to Assimil, particularly in regards to all the audio being in the target language?

One of the main things I dislike about most other series is that the CDs are full of English. There really is no point, you need to hear the target language, not your own.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5410 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 2 of 15
12 April 2012 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
The old Linuaphone courses have a similar design to Assimil.

PS. Yes, courses where a lot of English is babbled are a nuisance but I am used to cutting it out using Audacity.

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5376 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 3 of 15
12 April 2012 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
Added to Linguaphone (remember that with the exception of All Talk and French and
Spanish, the current courses are the old courses, at least the 70s courses) there is
Cortina - but you have to get the Masterlinguist package to get all the CDs.

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5962 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 4 of 15
12 April 2012 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
Apart from monolingual courses, the following are also entirely, or almost entirely, in the target language,

Linguaphone - As mentioned, just the older courses.
Hodder Education - Living series (Living Spanish, Living Italian, Living French) - They do contain some small audio cues, but nothing like TY or Colloquial.
Living Language - Ultimate series (Just the first 3/4 CD's - The On the Go CD's have a lot of English.)
Living Language - Maximum series (These have 7 CD's entirely in the TL)

Edited by DaraghM on 12 April 2012 at 5:20pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

COF
United States
Joined 5642 days ago

262 posts - 354 votes 

Message 5 of 15
12 April 2012 at 5:26pm | IP Logged 
Why are so few Assimil courses translated into English when compared to the sheer number available for French?

Maybe rather than complaining I should be learning French so I can use those courses, but it strikes me as strange why they don't try to capitalise on the huge English language market they're missing out on.

Anyone share similar sentiments?

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6967 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 6 of 15
12 April 2012 at 5:30pm | IP Logged 
If possible, consider language courses that aren't installments in today's big-name series. In fact some of the kits meant for foreigners but created in places where the target language is used natively go further than some of these courses loaded with audio and explanations in the learner's native language. They're instead done entirely in the target language which implies that you can check in with a native speaker if you're unsure. If you're learning alone, you'd need a bare minimum of instructions/explanations in a language that you can understand. Yet I do agree that the audio in some of today's courses in heavily marketed branded series have airtime in English that can be unacceptably long (e.g. "Colloquial Finnish"))

If you're looking for kits for BCMS/Serbo-Croatian, Finnish, Hungarian, Polish, Slovak or Ukrainian that have minimal or no explanatory audio in anything other than the target language, I could pass on a few suggestions.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 7 of 15
12 April 2012 at 6:43pm | IP Logged 
I'm interested in your suggestions for Polish :)

Bjorn
Diglot
Norway
Joined 4679 days ago

244 posts - 286 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 8 of 15
12 April 2012 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
busuu.com har all the audio in the target language.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version