Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5201 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 1 of 12
13 April 2012 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
To those of you who have decided to make Youtube videos or create a channel, how do you determine what to talk about? How do you determine that you have something valuable to present and that it’s worth making a video about it? After all, a million videos have been made about every topic...

How long does it usually take you to prepare, record and post a video?

What kind of videos do you like to see others post?

1 person has voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5489 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 2 of 12
13 April 2012 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
I have a youtube channel (although it has been about six months since I posted a video).

I created a channel because I knew lots of people were struggling learning languages (particularly, but not exclusively, Czech) and thought "there are lots of videos of people showing their great abilities, but there aren't really any for people with limited talent like myself". I had already been sharing some of my ideas with other struggling learners face-to-face, which seemed to help them get traction on becoming conversational. A youtube channel seemed a good way to share with a wider group of people.

I determine what to talk about based mostly on hurdles I faced myself, and that I wrestled with to overcome. If I came up with an idea that seemed to have helped me, then I thought it was probably worth sharing.

How long does it take to prepare a video? Well, sometimes it can be several weeks or months while I get an idea straight in my own mind and try it out myself. Only then do I feel I should make a video. On the day, I usually spend about 10 minutes writing bullet points on some little hand-held noticeboards, and then shoot the video in one go.

I don't use any video editing software. This means that sometimes (maybe every second video to be honest) I make a major blunder and have to remake the video. So, total time on-the-day is usually less than 30 minutes, then the computer spends a couple of hours uploading the video to youtube.

In terms of other people's videos, I appreciate the time and energy people put into them, and so am grateful for almost all language-learning related videos. Even just somebody talking in a language they are learning (even if at a pretty low level) is enjoyable if I can see their own enthusiasm. I also like videos that are completely frank about the "bad news", where somebody has achieved a high level of proficiency and says "you can have it too, though several years of hard work".

What I do not enjoy so much are videos that only give good news and claim to offer short cuts and magic secrets yet, in effect, are marketing a product sold by the video maker.

Edited by Splog on 13 April 2012 at 9:04pm

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5201 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 3 of 12
13 April 2012 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for your input, Anthony.

nway
United States
youtube.com/user/Vic
Joined 5235 days ago

574 posts - 1707 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean

Message 4 of 12
13 April 2012 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
A YouTube channel doesn't necessarily need to feature talking. Mine features music I wrote before my current obsession with learning languages (I migrate from one obsession to another).

Anyway, I've contemplated uploading "spoken word" videos, but I would only do so if I had something to gain or something to offer. I have neither, as my own time would be better spent simply by learning more (rather than sharing or teaching), and there's nothing I could offer that couldn't more veritably be found elsewhere.

That said, the type of language videos I enjoy tend to be either very well-constructed and systematic language courses (e.g., BusyAtom, languagenow) or discussions/courses of rarer languages (e.g., Glossika).

NewLanguageGuy
Groupie
France
youtube.com/NewLangu
Joined 4427 days ago

74 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 5 of 12
14 April 2012 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
I just created mine to have a bit of fun making videos for French people learning English and vice versa. It also allows me to listen to myself speaking French and work on any errors.

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5380 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 6 of 12
16 April 2012 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
I hope you're not letting being a famous Canadian polyglot go to your head.

I think the only option to stay true to your Arekkusuish integrity would be a channel entirely in Japanese, perhaps aimed at helping Japanese speak French or English, or just talking about language learning, but obviously really just to practice yor own Japanese.

(Although obviously it would be deeply frustrating for us non-Japanese speakers).

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5201 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 7 of 12
16 April 2012 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
schoenewaelder wrote:

I think the only option to stay true to your Arekkusuish integrity would be a channel entirely in Japanese, perhaps aimed at helping Japanese speak French or English, or just talking about language learning, but obviously really just to practice yor own Japanese.

(Although obviously it would be deeply frustrating for us non-Japanese speakers).

I did consider making some videos about Japanese pronunciation (from or to).

Some people also suggested I make videos in French as most are in English (I could subtitle them).

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5201 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 8 of 12
16 April 2012 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
schoenewaelder wrote:

Not sure what you mean... I'm not overly humble, I'll admit to that much, but I'm not famous in any meaning of the word.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version