Germany
Joined 5347 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 113 of 116
21 April 2012 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
ChristopherB wrote:
But maybe that's because these long standing members actually do think it's a great system? Why shouldn't they make comments to that effect?

I know they do, and that's great. My point is, that you should be listening to those who don't love it quite so much, and asking why.

I agree that the system is constantly improving, and understand these things require money.

edit: oops, I said "should" again. That should read: "you might find it beneficial to listen to those who don't love it quite so much"

Edited by schoenewaelder on 21 April 2012 at 6:40pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4615 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 114 of 116
23 June 2012 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Nowadays I'm only participating in the forum. Before, I was
losing points, found the website very slow, had problems with the flashcard
import/export function, didn't like the Chinese parsing... the list goes on. I really
liked the "word count" tool, though, but after some years I stopped using the system
for the above reasons. To my knowledge, there's not much that I can't find someplace
else on the web - for free. Online voice chats possibilities (that are available all
over the place, in any number of languages), Rhinospike, SRS programs etc. Texts...

I don't want to wake up this whole debate again, but one thing I found I couldn't get
elsewhere for free was podcasts in Swedish with transcripts.

I was looking for these in order to try to help out another forum member, was surprised
not to find them easily, and then the search took on a life of its own.

So, apart from a relatively small number of documentaries with transcripts on Swedish
Radio's site, the only thing I was able to find was the Swedish LingQ material,
regarding which, anyone can listen to the podcasts, but you need to register to get the
transcripts. I'm not sure how many you have access to without paying though, as I have
not registered. (I'm not currently trying to learn Swedish, and LQ doesn't currently
support Danish, which I am trying to learn).

(If you happen to know where there are more, I and presumably the other forum member
would be interested to learn of them. Of course there are a large number of
podcasts available on Swedish Radio, it's just that most of them don't have
transcripts).
1 person has voted this message useful

Ċ vejk
Super Polyglot
Canada
lingq.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4393 days ago

29 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Japanese, French, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese
Studies: Czech

Message 115 of 116
23 June 2012 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
Re transcripts at LingQ, please note that all audio content, and all transcripts at LingQ in Swedish, and the other 19
languages, are available for free download, without limit, for free members. I.e. do not cost anything for anyone.

These lessons, or content items, are created by members, or consist of third party content where permission has
been obtained from the creator of that content. This content is provided by members free of charge and can be
downloaded free of charge. New lessons are added every month.

The "confiscated points", unused after 3 months, are reallocated to members who create or provide content, in
other words, redistributed based on usage.

There is a very small number of third party content that is only available for purchase, Linguaphone, ESL Pod, Il
Narratore etc..

On the other hand, the number of lessons that Free members can import (from newspapers, radio stations etc.) and
integrate with the LingQ functionality for their own use, is limited to five. If imported content is shared with the
community, it does not count against the limit.

All paying members, at whatever level, can import as much as they want in all languages, for their own use.

Much of the member created content is aimed at beginners and early intermediate learners. Once past that stage
imported content becomes more and more important. Right now for Czech I use LingQ to study content from the
unbelievable audio and text resources available at rozhlas.cz, such as Jak to vidi, Toulky cesky minulosti, Nazory a
argumenty. Anyone studying Czech should "Czech" these out. I have not been able to obtain permission to share
these, so I just use them in my personal account at LingQ. I have imported over 300 lessons from that source
alone.

As to how slow the site is today, and the other complaints on Jeff's list, I suggest people see for themselves.

4 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4615 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 116 of 116
25 June 2012 at 1:21am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the helpful reply Steve.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 116 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version