Groupie
Finland
Joined 4697 days ago

47 posts - 80 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, Estonian*, English

Message 1 of 6
17 April 2012 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
Hello,

Most people in general seem to dislike long and strenuous language textbooks because
they are 'boring', but I have found them to be the most effective. I feel like people
misuse the word 'dry' for 'insightful' and 'detailed'. Such was the case for me with
another Korean book when I was checking that language out, called 'Speaking Korean' by
Francis Park

It didn't have colorful illustrations. It didn't have supposed shortcuts to make stuff
easier. It was a firm and deep collection of systematically progressing information,
and I loved it. In other words, no bulls***, just pure focus.

I already know how to write characters since I studied about 500 Hanja some time ago,
but I want the book to move on to characters as soon as possible, because pinyin just
doesn't look too nice to my eyes. Also, an audio CD is not too important because I plan
on using Pimsleur as a supplement while learning from a good book.

Problem is, too many books in Amazon are somewhere along the lines of "LEARN MANDARIN
IN 5 SECONDS", "EASY CHINESE", "LEARN TO SPEAK LIKE A NATIVE IN 3 DAYS blah blah" and
so on. It seems like the best ones (for my style, as I explained before) are always the
hidden gems that very rarely seem to pop up with a firsthand search.

That's why I want to ask those of you here who have learned Mandarin... I'd be grateful
if you could recommend me a book like I described. Summarized:

1) LOTS of detail into the very root structure of how the language is formed
2) Clear and smooth progression, meaningful and systematic exercises
3) Characters (preferably simplified) introduced as soon as possible

+ If the book has sequels, it would be even better

Thank you!
5 persons have voted this message useful

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6470 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 2 of 6
17 April 2012 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
If you like "dryness", FSI - though does not contain - is said to be very throughout and does things step by step in
modules. As for characters, I think that there's books called Mandarin Reader, or something, that has
accompanying CD's that are filled with texts of characters only, and then have a sign list in the back where the
readings are.

if you dislike pinyin, perhaps a book that use Gwoyeu
Romatzyh
would be of interest?
3 persons have voted this message useful

DNB
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
Finland
Joined 4697 days ago

47 posts - 80 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, Estonian*, English

Message 3 of 6
18 April 2012 at 6:34am | IP Logged 
Thanks! I heard the same for FSI as well, I might look into it.

It's not that I really dislike pinyin, I'm eager to use it in the very beginning, but I
just want to proceed to learning the characters as soon as possible because they are one
of the main reasons I want to study Mandarin.
1 person has voted this message useful

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6470 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 4 of 6
18 April 2012 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
Lookie, speaking of readers,
found this for one of them. Quite cute.
2 persons have voted this message useful

viedums
Hexaglot
Thailand
Joined 4477 days ago

327 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Latvian, English*, German, Mandarin, Thai, French
Studies: Vietnamese

Message 5 of 6
18 April 2012 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
There is a lot of material fitting this description that is put out by Asian presses - I have in mind the Beijing Foreign Languages University Press, Sinolingua, and the Chinese University of Hong Kong press. I can't name the titles of any at the beginning level, but once you reach a certain point (in my case having studied 6 months full-time) there are many, many texts to choose from covering, say, business Chinese, history and culture, etc., all aimed at the language learner.

I am more familiar with textbooks from Taiwan, having used "Practical Chinese" or 實用華語 at the Taipei Language Institute. I'm not sure if you can buy this if you aren't a student there, but it's quite thorough. The Mandarin Training Center at NTNU also publishes something similar. Even though you say you prefer simplified characters, you might take a look - the neat thing about these Taiwan texts is that pronunciation is indicated for characters using the zhuyin fuhao system, which runs right above the character the way kana does in Japanese textbooks. Thus you can totally ignore the pinyin if you wish.

It sounds to me like the way you want to study fits the Chinese approach to learning generally. So these Chinese publishers would be a good bet - they also put out dictionaries of various sorts that become useful as you make progress. Have fun!

3 persons have voted this message useful

freakyaye
Australia
Joined 4649 days ago

107 posts - 152 votes 

Message 6 of 6
19 April 2012 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
I have a book to suggest I'm using it at the moment for my Chinese class, the class
itself is by distance through www.open.edu.au but this was my only option so I went with
it.

It's called short term spoken chinese and actually Ollie on hackingchinese did a small
review of it.

It does have some pictures but they're not the focus. It's dry like you like :-)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36609388/Lesson%2011001.pdf

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version